Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beguile How-To Help?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 09, 2010
Hello all, I have a question about how to use Beguile in PvP. I received it, and I find the spell mostly useless in PvE, but have heard different when it is cast on players.

I am a necromancer and am basically asking: What are the directions in which to use Beguile in PvP the most effecient way?

Variables and sub-questions I would like answered:
Why must one use it only if they are going first?
How is it useful if someone passes because they know of its effect?
Is there any way to get around that by casting it on a pre-selected spell?
Why is it said the treasure card version is better than the trained one? Is there any way to make the trained Beguile card equally useful?

Things that may be considered deragatory in this thread:
Spam/repeating replies
Claims that Beguile is "cheap" or "cheating" when no card should be neglected and the case-scenario post is irrelevant to this thread.

Historian
May 15, 2009
Beguile while helpful to you can easily irritate and even enrage your opponent because it forces them to be unalble to cast traps or attack spells on you
but this also makes them do mistakes
i have a warlord necromancer ( level 35)
i casted beguile on a life wizard i was fighting in PVP ranked
and she accidentally casted a satyr on me XD
now i was surprised and glad she casted that on me
and i thanked her for it and you know what she said?
"your welcome, i didn't want this fight to end so quickly"
i was totally taken by surprise
while another kept cursing me out using make shift curses because i would not let him attack
and he made a mistake of casting a balance blade on me XD
he got so mad that he quit the match
so the point of my rambling is
sometimes the other player helps you and sometimes they get so mad they help you by accident

Survivor
Aug 28, 2009
Listen beguile is a pretty simple spell to learn. i was confused to on how to use it. Soon enough i learned the real secrets of beguile. you should really use beguile most of the time on monsters because their not really smart and will probably blade you and they cant trap on you though. and in pvp you just have to use it at the right time and especially use it against life since they will probably heal you by accident.

Defender
May 29, 2009

1. Why must one use it only if they are going first?

Beguile is generally only useful if you are going first in PVP because it only affects the very next round. If you cast beguile going second, that means, the person you beguiled can clearly see that you've beguiled them and can just pass on that round.

2. How is it useful if someone passes because they know of its effect?

It is not useful is someone passes on the round that they are beguiled. That is why beguile is generally only useful if you are going first.

3. Is there any way to get around that by casting it on a pre-selected spell?

No, you cannot direct your beguile at a pre-selected spell. That would make beguile way too powerful.

4. Why is it said the treasure card version is better than the trained one?

I don't have a copy of the Treasure Card beguile to reference so I'm not sure what the exactly differences are. There are only 2 ways to make the treasure version "better". One would be to make it cost fewer pips (the trained version costs 3 pips). The second would be to improve the accuracy so there is less chance of fizzle (the trained version is 85% accurage)

5. Is here any way to make the trained Beguile card equally useful?

You can make your trained beguile spell more accurate by making a treasure card out of it using an enchantment card like keen eyes. That will make a single treasure card out of it. There is not way to improve upon "trained" spells in your deck though.

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
Why must one use it only if they are going first?

Because if the target knows they're beguiled when the turn is up, they still have the power to pass or do something inconsequential to nullify the effect. You don't control the opponent with beguile; you just trick them to confuse you as an ally. Therefore, if you cast it on someone who is about to heal, blade, or shield someone on your team, the beguiled person may get it instead. You can't just cast beguile and then expect to control what they do.

How is it useful if someone passes because they know of its effect?

See above.

Is there any way to get around that by casting it on a pre-selected spell?

No. It's a spell of sheer luck and minimal timing.

Why is it said the treasure card version is better than the trained one? Is there any way to make the trained Beguile card equally useful?

Same as any treasure card. Instead of more damage since it's not a damage spell, cards of that nature last longer, uses less pips, and/or has a lower fizzle rate.

Delver
May 31, 2009
unless minions are present beguile and taunt spells are pretty useless in PvP, stunning on the other hand actually works in PvP but doesn`t outside it. this is my experience with these spells in regular play and PvP over the last year.

Defender
Jul 21, 2009
Basicly what beguile does is it makes the opponent go on your team for one turn. That means that any spell they cast will be cast on the opposite team for ex. if you cast beguile on a life person about to use rebirth on their team, instead, it will be cast on your team and you will heal instead of them.
Lots of people make it a point to know what the spell does because it is the only manuplate spell in the game so far.

1. It only works if you go first becuase if you go second and cast it, the opponent will choose a card for the next turn before it takes affect and if they know what it does, they will most likely pass.

2. If they pass, the effect will be wasted because nothing will come out of it.

3. You cann't cast beguile on a pre-selected spell unless you go first.

4. The treasure card version is better because anyone can cast beguile with it. You can make beguile a treasure card with a card like accurate. It is not as good, but you can draw it anytime so it's at least more effective.

Beguile is the only manipulate spell in the game so far so it does give death an advantage that other schools don't have but the other schools do have their own advantage spells. Storm has wildbolt, ice has ice armor, myth has earthquake, Fire has cards like heckhound, life has healing cards like rebirth, and balance has judgment and shields and blades for all the other schools. People say it's cheap but everyone could say that about all the other schools. Hope I helped.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Through the power of fire, nothing is beyond my reach
Scot Thorn

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
PvP is only effective in PvP, much like dispels, when your team goes first, if your team goes second the team that goes first is aware of the spell upon them and can avoid losing pips and avoid having ill effects amount to anything. This is largely why I aptly state PvP isn't worth playing at all in this game cause it is very unfair and biased towards the team that goes first. Why they don't fix this is beyond me.

Explorer
Apr 28, 2010
I am a Life wizard and I have used Beguile as a treasure card and i have noticed it does nothing. I used it in pvp and it doesnt even show the hearts it only shows as if I hit the opponent witha death wand spell but it does no damage. I also tried it on Warehouse before they solved the way to win with beguile and it didnt work so the treasure card form is useless cause whenever my death freind uses it in pvp it works, he has helped me with pvp and we have won a lot lately thanks to beguile but it only works on him.

Gabriel StarCatcher, Grandmaster Theurgist
Master of Nature, PvP Veteran and Pet Sergeant