Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Damage calculation no longer accurate

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
TL;DR version: Damage boosting blades and traps are no longer completely accurate on spells that do exact amounts of damage, being short by a small amount, and greater amounts the more boosts you stack.

Full version:

For spells that have a specific set amount of damage they do, for example Tempest, Storm Lord, and Judgement, it used to be possible to calculate EXACTLY how much damage you would do.

I have a calculator at my desk anyway to help me determine if i am going to be able to kill the enemies yet or need to get more blades/traps. With spells that do specific amounts of damage i used to get a kick out of knowing exactly how much damage i would do.

The damage calculation isnt hard, for example:
i have 5 pips, 35% damage on my gear, and a 30% storm blade up

5x80 = 400 + 35% = 540 + 30% = 702 damage with my tempest.

It gets way more complicated then that when one shotting malistaire or something =p but thats just an example. I used to be accurate (many months ago, the last time i played) within 1 damage before, which i attributed to rounding errors. Now since i came back, the damage is off by several more points then that. On a simple example like that it is easily off by 2-5 points or more.

Even worse is it seems the more blades/traps you stack the more off the calculations are. Like when doing over 10k damage to malistaire, i need to make sure my calculator says well over 10k because it can be off by more then 100 points when stacking that many buffs.

Many people may say "who cares" or "big deal its just a little off", well I do care. I take pride in being good at the games i play and i like to know exactly how much damage i do. This issue affects everyone, if a spell says it should do an exact thing, like a set amount of damage, or a specific % boost, it should do that. If it does not, we are getting shorted damage that could cause us to fail to kill an enemy, possibly dying and losing time we choose to invest in this game because we like it. Why is the game punishing players by nerfing their damage boosts?

Why are damage boosting spells no longer accurate?

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
Yes i have found that. I also have a calc at my desk and am kindof mad when the enemy has 3 points left when it should have killed them with the right amount. please fix this

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Josh1128Sh wrote:
Just checking - do you calculate your opponents resist?

I usually throw a wand spell to find out the resistance, if any, before I caculate...but most of the time the caculations seem fine to me. Then again, I am a cautious player, so I always over do than try to just squeeze by.