Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Security Certificate Error?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
My browser informs me that, "The security certificate presented to this website has expired or is not yet valid."
and
"It is possible that the certificate is no longer trustworthy."

For a site that handels credit card information, this sounds rather dire.

If someone in authority could provide a reasonable explination, it would set my mind at ease.
I mean why isn't the security certificate for the wizard 101 site valid, is it lazyness?
If my web browser (explorer) and this site are interacting badly and the warning message is false, shouldn't wizard 101 be trying to fix their site so that it doesn't cause this warning to appear?
I used the search function in the message boards and no one has mentioned this.
Since there seems to be no security certificate to insure that the site is secure, shouldn't there at least be a little blurb somewhere assuring us that it is impossible for a third party to latch onto the wizard site and steal information? If I have missed such and explination elsewhere on the site, please inform me of it's location.

Administrator
Players who experience this error need to update their 'ROOT Certificates' with Windows Update...

The way SSL works is that our certificate must be signed by a 'ROOT' authority (ours is signed by VeriSign). The ROOT authorities update their digital signatures every year (or even more often). Our website updates our certificate every year, and we get the newest ROOT certificate signature on our new certificate. Our certificate was just updated last month, with the latest VeriSign ROOT certificate signature. Microsoft sends out updated 'ROOT Certificates' with the new signatures for all the ROOT authorities several times a year in their Windows Update process. If you don't get that update, eventually every ROOT certificate will be invalid (because you will have only their old - out of date - signatures, and all the web sites will have only their newer certificates - so you will get this error on every SSL enabled web site.

If you update your 'ROOT Certificates' from Microsoft's Windows Update process, this problem will go away.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Aug 19, 2008
I've been wondering why your entire web site runs under SSL?
I think this is the only game site that I've seen that does that.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I have received certificate errors before--not on this site but others. The problem ended up being the date on my computer was wrong. (someone had changed it for some strange reason.)

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
Wow i cant belive this to think that my taime and date cause this but thank it was my time and date