Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Parental Controls - Selling Crown-Items

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 17, 2010
Hello, I'm a parent :) and I have a child who I play online with often. We have a reward system with crowns as a reward, but often we base how many crowns we buy based on what our child wants.

Lately, though, we've been having a problem that could be easily solved with just a little tweak to the parental controls, or I so hope... :)

The problem is that I pay for crowns for my child to get items to help level or get around, gear, mounts, even a castle - and my child sells them for gold to get furniture, or a pet, or an outfit - something that someone else has and suddenly, normal for the age, that something is what my child wants more than anything else - and BAMM - the items I bought for crowns get sold for gold.

Please, please, please (*beg-beg*) - create a parental control that will not allow items bought with crowns to be sold for gold!! :) :) :)

Thank you sincerely,
A Parent Going Broke :)

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
keirakarle wrote:
Hello, I'm a parent :) and I have a child who I play online with often. We have a reward system with crowns as a reward, but often we base how many crowns we buy based on what our child wants.

Lately, though, we've been having a problem that could be easily solved with just a little tweak to the parental controls, or I so hope... :)

The problem is that I pay for crowns for my child to get items to help level or get around, gear, mounts, even a castle - and my child sells them for gold to get furniture, or a pet, or an outfit - something that someone else has and suddenly, normal for the age, that something is what my child wants more than anything else - and BAMM - the items I bought for crowns get sold for gold.

Please, please, please (*beg-beg*) - create a parental control that will not allow items bought with crowns to be sold for gold!! :) :) :)

Thank you sincerely,
A Parent Going Broke :)

You can sell almost all items with the exception of Crown Items at the Bazaar....which will not let you sell them at all. Just ask your child to always sell there and it won't be a problem. I know it can be a small hassle to get there, but I do it as a matter of fact due to my inattention at times (no, not an age thing, really :) )

Survivor
Jan 17, 2010
You can sell almost all items with the exception of Crown Items at the Bazaar....which will not let you sell them at all. Just ask your child to always sell there and it won't be a problem. I know it can be a small hassle to get there, but I do it as a matter of fact due to my inattention at times (no, not an age thing, really )

Yes, that's true. It's not happening accidentally though. My child is very young - she sees something she wants and seems to get tunnel vision, forgetting everything except getting that one thing she wants for gold, and so sells the crown items to get the gold, and is left with a pretty waterfall, or whatever, but without her mount or her gear that gives her the health and mana she needs to fight creatures her level. That's why I suggested it as a parental control - that way if I pay cash for something for her, she can't turn around and sell it for gold without my explicit permission. :)

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
This sounds more like a parenting issue than a KI issue,

Though you can sell crown items at the normal shops.
A toggle switch in the parental controls to turn on and off the
selling of crown bought items, on a family account, sounds good to me.

BUT...

I would tell her I'm NOT buying any more crowns for you, if you
keep selling your crown bought things off for other 'not crown' things!
and then explaine to her without your wizard gear protecting you,
you will not be able to get to your next level and will lose and die in
battles a lot more.
Then pratice 'tough love' let her find out for her self what happens
when she sells off her things. I bet you will be hearing a lot from her in
no time. lol But stand firm and let it sink in a little. Hopfuly she will
start to learn the values in having those crown items, she sold a few days ago. and depending on how old she is, maybe not. :?

Survivor
Jan 17, 2010
Yes, of course that's true - if she minded better and if I hold out enough, it will eventually sink in. :) And, of course, that's what I'm having to do now - BUT... :) :)

I still like the idea of a parental control. It just would save a lot of little tears and regrets. I think she might be too young for it to sink in yet anyway - but my older child plays WoW, and while I can't yet my youngest play WoW, because of her age and the danger of internet predators, this is the next best thing. And I, personally, who can't play enough to make WoW or EQ2 or LoTR or anything worthwile (because groups are required after around level 20-30 for most things) - I like this game better! :)

But I digress - I wish I could transfer gold from my account to hers, because I've got it in plenty - but we're back on the parenting thing again - she's got to learn how to get plenty, herself! :)

Still - if we can turn off gifting on our child's account, we should be able to turn off the ability to let her sell Crown items to vendors, I think. Then the only risk is Treasure Cards - giving them all away because someone "promised" them a gift, or making trades unfair to them, because there are those who take advantage of the kiddies - that I can handle, Treasure Cards are no big deal - but the items I get with Crowns - that's real cash money, and I don't want her to sell them without permission.

Ok - enough of the broken record! :) Thanks for the responses all, and please post if you agree with adding such a parental control, so that maybe the dev guys at W101 will add it in!! :)