Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Attacks Ignoring Accuracy Boosts?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 27, 2008
Lately I have been relying on my accuracy boosts given to me by clothing, but I am noticing that they are rarely effective. One example was when I was fighting Lord Nightshade, my clothes gave me 10% more accuracy more than fire's 75%. That is 85% of accuracy right of the spot. I have also been noticing that it is very peculiar how Balance and Death barely ever fizzle. I faced Lord Nightshade and discovered something unbelievable, my dragon attack fizzled 1/7 of the time! That is 14% accuracy, has anyone else faced this problem? I have always fizzled a lot more times than other storm wizards. I also wonder if the accuracy increase was ignored. While me and my storm friend were in the arena he had all his grandmaster gear, so he also had 85% accuracy, we fizzled twice as much as the myth people, the balance people, and the death people KingsIsle please do something about this!+

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
Lots of players tend to have issues with high fizzle rates, no matter what school and gear they have, and the mobs/computer rarely fizzle at all no matter what spells they are casting (I can't speak for hired Henchmen, but my Myth wizards Cyclops minion fizzles at about the rate the spell is set at)

Also, RNGs used for rolling checks (like your Accuracy/Fizzle rate, or if you got a rare reagent when picking up a reagent) are notoriously streaky, meaning that they tend to roll several similar results in a row (fizzling 6 casts of any spell with an accuracy of less than 100 back to back, getting 5 Black Pearls on 5 consecutive Black Lotus pick ups) Some people rarely see events like those other people see it every other day, but in the long run the statistical result will end up being whatever its set at (small sets of data like 10 or 100 results, tend to be unfavorable, so we're talking over at least 1000+ ) So chalk your 1 out of 7 attempts at casting Dragon to either bad luck or the RNG being extremely unfair.

Speaking of Myth/Death/Balance fizzle rates, on my Grandmaster Death I generally fizzle Wraith at 1:3 or 1:4 casts per fight (Full Grandmaster gear for Death provides 0% accuracy, and my pet is the 5% PP+Wraith Spell, and I never have and don't plan to ever buy any of the Crown Shop potions). That would be 77% or 75% accuracy when it should be 85%. My Myth wizard is still kinda young so I haven't got a good feel for the spells yet, but I'd guess he fizzles around 15-25% of his spells (most of the fizzles usually precede the mob either casting Weaken on me or Myth/Tower shield)

PVP is a special case, as most players probably use increased accuracy Treasure cards for their bigger attacks/strategies. So for Death/Myth/Balance just a Keen Eye'd attack is 90-95% Accuracy.

With all of that said, I have never personally used a school that got a lot of Accuracy boost from their gear (I know myth gets some... but mine is barely hitting lvl30 and hes using crown gear for now) but I have seen one of my Storm friends get 3% accuracy from her boots and over the next few nights we both had noticed/remarked on how she fizzled just a little less often. That's not to say that she just may have been luckier, or if the boost actually worked, but at least its an instance that the stat appears to be functioning.

Sorry for the large post, but they were all points that needed to be covered (at least mostly the stuff that wasn't personal experiences)

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
i also think it is unfair that myth and ice have the same fizzle rate yet when they have all there grand master gear they get a better accuracy advantage?

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
deraknecron wrote:
Lots of players tend to have issues with high fizzle rates, no matter what school and gear they have, and the mobs/computer rarely fizzle at all no matter what spells they are casting (I can't speak for hired Henchmen, but my Myth wizards Cyclops minion fizzles at about the rate the spell is set at)

Also, RNGs used for rolling checks (like your Accuracy/Fizzle rate, or if you got a rare reagent when picking up a reagent) are notoriously streaky, meaning that they tend to roll several similar results in a row (fizzling 6 casts of any spell with an accuracy of less than 100 back to back, getting 5 Black Pearls on 5 consecutive Black Lotus pick ups) Some people rarely see events like those other people see it every other day, but in the long run the statistical result will end up being whatever its set at (small sets of data like 10 or 100 results, tend to be unfavorable, so we're talking over at least 1000+ ) So chalk your 1 out of 7 attempts at casting Dragon to either bad luck or the RNG being extremely unfair.

Speaking of Myth/Death/Balance fizzle rates, on my Grandmaster Death I generally fizzle Wraith at 1:3 or 1:4 casts per fight (Full Grandmaster gear for Death provides 0% accuracy, and my pet is the 5% PP+Wraith Spell, and I never have and don't plan to ever buy any of the Crown Shop potions). That would be 77% or 75% accuracy when it should be 85%. My Myth wizard is still kinda young so I haven't got a good feel for the spells yet, but I'd guess he fizzles around 15-25% of his spells (most of the fizzles usually precede the mob either casting Weaken on me or Myth/Tower shield)

PVP is a special case, as most players probably use increased accuracy Treasure cards for their bigger attacks/strategies. So for Death/Myth/Balance just a Keen Eye'd attack is 90-95% Accuracy.

With all of that said, I have never personally used a school that got a lot of Accuracy boost from their gear (I know myth gets some... but mine is barely hitting lvl30 and hes using crown gear for now) but I have seen one of my Storm friends get 3% accuracy from her boots and over the next few nights we both had noticed/remarked on how she fizzled just a little less often. That's not to say that she just may have been luckier, or if the boost actually worked, but at least its an instance that the stat appears to be functioning.

Sorry for the large post, but they were all points that needed to be covered (at least mostly the stuff that wasn't personal experiences)

I agree that added accuracy in gear really doesn't help any more or less most of the time. This is why I never care about having Level 50 hats and boots. I would rather have the crown hats and boots for level 45; they generally give more health, global resistance(instead of only school-specific resistance(unless you are Ice, which gets global resist anyway,)) and they also give you added power pip percentage as well as cards that can be useful at times.

The only level 50 gear my Grands use are the robes from Malistaire as most of those robes have really good benefits and cards that come with them, and of course I use the rings and athames from the Gurtoks.

I also think accuracy is better or worse by area you are in, as well as who is around you. Krokotopia is notoriously bad with fizzles as compared to some other places.

It's funny you mention that about reagents. I have had that happen sometimes where I just keep getting Black Pearls or Diamonds for quite a while, then other times I can't pick one up to save my life...lol. It really is all luck more than anything, really. It just depends on how the game is going to work for you any given day. I also believe population has something to do with it, but that is just a theory of mine ;)

Explorer
Jun 28, 2008
rockmage wrote:
Lately I have been relying on my accuracy boosts given to me by clothing, but I am noticing that they are rarely effective. One example was when I was fighting Lord Nightshade, my clothes gave me 10% more accuracy more than fire's 75%. That is 85% of accuracy right of the spot. I have also been noticing that it is very peculiar how Balance and Death barely ever fizzle. I faced Lord Nightshade and discovered something unbelievable, my dragon attack fizzled 1/7 of the time! That is 14% accuracy, has anyone else faced this problem? I have always fizzled a lot more times than other storm wizards. I also wonder if the accuracy increase was ignored. While me and my storm friend were in the arena he had all his grandmaster gear, so he also had 85% accuracy, we fizzled twice as much as the myth people, the balance people, and the death people KingsIsle please do something about this!+

Accuracy boosts don't work that way. Accuracy boosts you have to work as a math problem. 10% of 75 is 7% add that to 75 and you get an accuracy of 82% not 85%