Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Limit fizzles to 2 in a row...

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 05, 2008
I am a fire wizard right now. I only keep one fire multi hit card in my gold cards at a time. Why because of the great fizzle rate. The most I have fizzled with one card is 3 times. Now if my card is 75% Accurate then How can I fizzle 3 times in a row. I accept two in a row at the most but three with the same gold card seems awfully high to me. It is normal for me to fizzle at least once a fight. But to fizzle more than half my cards during the time I am on. Does not seem accurate. Also I notice we fizzle more when against certain enemies. Like Storm we tend to fizzle more.

Explorer
Jan 18, 2009
Every event has a probability to it, and a tiny probability can't be assumed to be zero just because the occurence of a tiny probability is 'absolutely ridiculous'. It happens, and even though it may feel frustrating, it doesn't mean the chances are off.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Just because the probability of an event is small doesn't mean that it can't happen. For that matter, even if the probability of an event is zero, it may still be able to happen.

Making it so you can't fizzle more than twice in a row would make wild bolt ridiculously overpowered.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
Consider this: even though this IS a game, some basic real world fundamentals are contained within. In this case, the idea that, realistically, one may try something many times and continue to fail, as it should be in the game. Just keep trying and let math do the rest :P

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
Kilajula wrote:
It's interesting that people would hope that after fizzling a certain amount of times, the chance to hit would increase. Probability alone is doing this for you. With accuracy, every school has the upper hand. I say this because no school has an accuracy equal to or less than 50%. Each time you stack a turn, your chances of fizzling again decrease. So you see, chance, probability, or whatever you want to call it is already doing this for you!

I disagree with these methods though. Not because I enjoy fizzling or doing so multiple times either. Accuracy is a rating of the cards, not the wizard (though you can boost accuracy through gear, the card values remain the same) . The cards do not change unless they are changed with enchantment spells. If fizzling is so horrifically maddening that you would be willing to insert a possible game breaking adjustment, you should consider buying accuracy boosting treasure cards. 50 gold a pop for the minimal boost is heaven even for a storm student. And if you're a storm student, you have accuracy boosting spells at your disposal. As well, missing twice is no reason to give a Diviner the accuracy of a Pyromancer. Your accuracy is set, so why should missing change that? If you are a Diviner, you will miss a lot. You accepted that charge when you enrolled for the class. There are plenty methods for increasing accuracy, I think you should use them before deciding it's best to change the game.

Agree 100% here. Use your accuracy cards to lower your fizzle rate. That why these cards are made.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
Why change something that doesn't need to be changed? It's like Dungeon Runners all over again, people complaining over everything they don't like.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
Just remember if you wanna change the way fizzle works for the players, it will change the way it works for the monsters too. You really want to fight a storm or fire monster with less fizzles? they will kick your butt.

The fizzles are fine the way they are. There is no need to change it. Plan your deck more efficiently and deal with it. I normally have 1 or 2 higher accuracy cards for those times I really need to kill something. I am a pyromancer with most of my spells at 75%. Yet I can solo just about anything without any problems fizzle or no.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
I may not necessarily agree with the limit being two, but there are some situations in which fizzles seem excessive.

From what I've seen, many people have been claiming that these incidents are severely rare, to which I would beg to differ. I had about three to five fights in which my accuracy on most cards averaged about 30%. I'm not sure any exact number as these incidents occurred on both of my wizards. One incident was made less clear on any exact amount due to the rate at which I died because of the fizzles. Out of the four spells I cast without a 100% accuracy rating, 3 of them fizzled. 2 of which were ice and 1 was life.

Now, I had a similar problem about 10 minutes later in another fight on the same wizard. Only reason I didn't die the second time was due to the large amount of healing spells I was able to use, 3 sprites and 2 pixies. In the second battle, I would say I cast a total of at least 9 attack spells without a 100% accuracy rating. Of these, only 4 or 5 actually worked. I also had back to back fizzles on leprechauns, which have 90% accuracy

2 more similar stories can be said of my Necromancer. If these incidents are so rare, please explain what kind of astronomical odds I must have had to get 4 such battles within an hour.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
All I can say is that if I get my rear end handed to me again, like I just did, I will cancel my account. Defender of the fang should not whipe me out like that. :x

Defender
May 06, 2009
greyrecliner228 wrote:
Wild Bolt has a 10% chance to hit. If every third time the spell is cast it's guaranteed to not fizzle then it becomes a 33% chance to hit. Or 10% twice and 100% the third time. This completely unbalances the spell.

This was the point I was going to make. If you know that your next spell literally cannot fail, this unbalances a lot of things -- what if you had three curses on you, the third one will basically do nothing, and you can wait until you fizzle twice in a row to cast that spell you really really need to work, such as wild bolt or satyr. (Honestly, this is why I make satyr spells with keen eyes, to get treasure card satyrs that work 100% of the time WITHIN the game mechanics).

I say no. The percentages do seem off to me, but this would be making things worse.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
RipperMcGee wrote:
Just like the title says - it can be maddening to fizzle three times in a row, especially if you waste your best cards with them. If it bugs me as an adult, keep in mind how frustrating it must be to a kid...
if you fizzle the card goes to the bottem of your deck so all you have to do is just wait fro it to come up again

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Okayyy I'll put it simply a coind has a 50 50 chance of being heads and tails, i flip it and get heads 10 times in a row, okay now whats the percentage of getting tails now? it is still 50% it works the same way with the cards but with different percentages

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
RipperMcGee wrote:
Just like the title says - it can be maddening to fizzle three times in a row, especially if you waste your best cards with them. If it bugs me as an adult, keep in mind how frustrating it must be to a kid...

My personal record is 16 fizzles in a row. I even fizzed on shields AND blades, which isn't suppost to happen. It has gotten worse since this last update.

Defender
May 15, 2009
RipperMcGee wrote:

Increase your accuracy (equipment, cards, or play Life).

Yes, it is frustrating when things don't go your way, but that's how it is. The world isn't going to adapt to you on account of your frustration, so adapt to the environment and account for fizzles. This can be a good lesson for a child, providing they don't act on emotion and leave it at that; rather than shield children from the realities of life, let them learn these lessons in a controlled, harmless environment first. Then they will be better equipped to handle themselves in the world.

Speaking as someone who frustrates easily, work on controlling it and using it to improve/overcome. (saves money on buying new keyboards that way too)

Limiting fizzles renders the chance-to-cast percentage on the card corrupt, and corrupts the dynamics of the game. If you effectively increase Storms 70% then you have to reduce its damage as it would be out of balance. Additionally, calculating and managing risk becomes more difficult as only a math major would be able to derive Storm's true reliability rate.

Besides, winning in spite of heavy set-backs makes the victory sweeter.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Whiterose2 wrote:
RipperMcGee wrote:

My personal record is 16 fizzles in a row. I even fizzed on shields AND blades, which isn't suppost to happen. It has gotten worse since this last update.

well balance wizards have cards that give you -45% accuracy maybe one of those were used on you?

Survivor
Apr 13, 2009
RipperMcGee wrote:

I am A kid and what you say is true, it bugs me A lot to fizzle even more than once. Luckily if you fizzle you can still keep your cards that you used. Also if you fizzle and you have a little Mana left you lose that too then you are most likely to waste your Mana and have to restart that match.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
ok i no thes may be weird but how do u get a 2nd school?? btw my character's name is Shannon Starhunter...

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
luffy52 wrote:
Whiterose2 wrote:
RipperMcGee wrote:

well balance wizards have cards that give you -45% accuracy maybe one of those were used on you?

no wasnt fighting balance, was fighting fire.
I tried a different wizard, no better. The monsters fizz so little and I fizz so much I get disgusted and stop playing for a few days.

Survivor
Oct 19, 2008
I fizzled 7 times in a row. Storm is great attacking spells but there accuracy stinks.
Matthew DragonRider Adept Diviner Lvl 29

Survivor
Oct 03, 2009

Please do something about fizzles... in one battle I fizzled 4 times in a row... that's simply not fair... help

Survivor
Jan 14, 2009
I so agree with this. I was fighting General Khaba in Krokotopia and I fizzled about 4 times. As a Storm wizard I sometimes get so frustrated. I once lost against General Khaba because I kept fizzling. I had to fight him again!

Cameron Lighthammer-
Level 16 Diviner

Defender
Jan 25, 2010
On both my grand master and my current level 30 I have found that fizzing 3 times in a row is all to common and is the number one cause of my death when the opponent does not fizz or only fizzes once.

This is known by me to be terribly unbalanced.

The second greatest cause of my death is not paying attention to my health.

It stands to reason that if you are going to die it should be in a fair fight.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
It should be done by spell accuracy like life should be 1 fizzle out of every 10 myth ice and balance i think balance has 80 could be 2 out of every 10 storm is 3 out of every 10 and wild bolt could be only 1 hit out of every 10

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
Maybe its just me, but it seems like since the pet patches I've been fizzling a great deal more. Today, I fizzled over 7 times in one battle. Every fizzle was a strategic one in that it was either my needed heal that fizzled or it was a big damage spell that I set up that fizzled. None of my shields, blades, or traps fizzled. Did the pet patch effect the way fizzles work? The bosses (2 at the end of Big Ben) only fizzled twice the entire fight but I fizzled 7-9 times. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!! And doesn't seem right.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
Like a lot of the administrators have said, I Wizard101 is a game of luck. Honestly most of the Storm School, is SOOOO powerful but has a down side, and that is the accuracy level.

Every great power has a disadvantage.