Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Please Be My Friend"

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 07, 2009

Ok this is getting old.Everyday I see please be my friend or people just trying to put you on friend's list.I just logged in the other day in olde town.In the first minute of being on i had 3 things pop up to be on someone's list.What's worse is when they try it when your looking at stuff in bazzar.Word of advice to younger players.Allot of MMo players that have been around the block will say same thing.Don't beg for friends.If your out fighting a mob with someone or in a dungeon with someone this is the best way to make a friend.We all want to have fun but begging for friend's or "I need a boy or girl" is the biggest downer for me in this game.

Administrator
Young Wizard, we have given you the tools to control these annoyances yourself.

In your Options you can turn off Friend Invites, you can turn off Teleports and you can Ignore players with the Ignore button.

Mr Lincoln has some good advice that can be found in our FAQ.

As for reporting, we appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention.

Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:

“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).

community@wizard101.com
Delver
Jul 30, 2009
Hey, it could be worse...

Over the weekend, hubby was playing with a couple of friends of his. A player teleported in uninvited from one of the player's friends list...Then proceeded to ask one of the players to 'add them to their friends list'.

When the other player didn't, this player turned around and reported my hubby and the other 2 players. Mind you, nobody had said a thing to this player. Not even the one she'd asked to be added to their list responded in anyway.

It kinda shocked the three of them to say the least. Because the one got reported for not adding the player to thier list, as well as hubby and the other member (the one that she used to teleport to in the first place) simply for being there?

To put it bluntly, not only was she removed from the one friends list, but the three of them then teleported to a different realm to avoid her completely afterwards.

It took me awhile to get it through to hubby and the others that they weren't in any trouble. That if anyone was, it would be that member who was falsely reporting them simply not for adding them as a friend. With friends like that, who needs enemies eh? LOL!

Defender
Jun 29, 2009
wisars wrote:

Ok this is getting old.Everyday I see please be my friend or people just trying to put you on friend's list.I just logged in the other day in olde town.In the first minute of being on i had 3 things pop up to be on someone's list.What's worse is when they try it when your looking at stuff in bazzar.Word of advice to younger players.Allot of MMo players that have been around the block will say same thing.Don't beg for friends.If your out fighting a mob with someone or in a dungeon with someone this is the best way to make a friend.We all want to have fun but begging for friend's or "I need a boy or girl" is the biggest downer for me in this game.

Professor Greystone has given the answer to stop your frustration. Turn the friends option off and you will not get those annoying pop ups. If it helps, when I see those "I need a boy/girl," postings in the commons I often think "Get A Dog," they are more dependable. Frankly, I always get a chuckle when I travel through the commons and review the advertising in that area of the game. The cutest was a kid looking for a interior decorator for his new mansion. I don't blame him, decorating a mansion is a lot of work!

A special note on the ignore button in her suggestion. The person must be a friend in order for you to ignore them. This does not stop them from porting to you or talking to you, it only stops you from seeing what they say. I put a kid on ignore because he kept porting to me. To my shock and dismay, the next day he ports to me and I can't see a thing he is saying. I have to take him off ignore, add him as a friend, then delete him in order to do what I really wanted in the first place - stop him from porting to me without texting first as I have asked him to do on numerous occasions. People that do this have caused "full instance" way too many times for my liking. Be sure to delete a person while they are online or you will be in the same situation, you are still their friend, which means that they can port to you and text you.

Survivor
Oct 07, 2009
I can understand what you all are saying.AlicornsPrayer i got a good one for you.I was doing that Vicktor down where you hatch the egg in the hatchory.I still had to hatch the egg. 3 guys jump in that was farming him.then they try to tell me what spells to use and got mad when they thought i had the kill on the boss.One of them started to cuss me out shortly there after.I reported him for it.Then they start saying reporting is for loosers.It would be kinda hard to turn off teleport when you use it when you do help a friend.The only real thing I'm asking is that KI look into a way that once someone is off the friends list they can't port to you.That I'm sure would help allot of people out.

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
wisars wrote:
I can understand what you all are saying.AlicornsPrayer i got a good one for you.I was doing that Vicktor down where you hatch the egg in the hatchory.I still had to hatch the egg. 3 guys jump in that was farming him.then they try to tell me what spells to use and got mad when they thought i had the kill on the boss.One of them started to cuss me out shortly there after.I reported him for it.Then they start saying reporting is for loosers.It would be kinda hard to turn off teleport when you use it when you do help a friend.The only real thing I'm asking is that KI look into a way that once someone is off the friends list they can't port to you.That I'm sure would help allot of people out.

I totally agree, something does need to be done to make sure that once you either ignore or remove a person that they can't actually bother you anymore by either porting to you or whispering to you. I mean what is the use of those buttons if they don't work the way they should?

Also, here is one suggestion which may solve one problem:
When you go in to battle have your friends port off. If you need someone to come in and help you, or you want a friend to be able to port to you while in battle, then simply hit the "B" button, this opens your spellbook where you can go to options and turn your friend teleports back on, just make sure and hit "ok" after you do that. Then after your friend ports to you you can do the same thing and turn it back off.