Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I don't like the Crowns System

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
Hi there,

I know that Sony's Free Realms and some less known games support this type of play, pay a monthly fee AND then pay more for the coolest items in the game... but I don't like it at ALL.

I think that kids games should definitely reward for hard work and not for whoever has the deepest pockets. Just being able to flip a switch throw money at something and be best sets the wrong example in my book. I've played with my daughters now for a while and the Crown system seems to be worse than ever now. This game would cost more than 3 WoW subscriptions if I bought them everything they wanted with crowns.

I feel like the game companies that promote this type of wringing dollars from a parents wallet for in game pixels that their kids want is really unethical and pathetic. Charge a higher monthly fee and let the kids have challenges in which they EARN the best items in game through hard work and perserverance.

I can't support a game company that enforces that only the rich get to have the best in game items... or one that bends it's players parents over a barrel.

Mom

Explorer
Mar 02, 2009
Ok, in the world we live in money pretty much has supreme power. Also, the constant complaining over crown prices is getting very annoying, either buy the crowns, or dont, KI wont change the prices because some people are mad. I happen to like this game very much. I have spent money on crowns, i have enjoyed my experience on this game. And most of all, no one forces you to pay, or even play this game.

Explorer
Feb 01, 2009
ok first of all, the crown system is completely the opposite of what you said. i love it. but since some of you guys are complaining about it, they made the secret shop. you can pay crowns OR money for some of the desireable items there. tell your kids to become grandmasters and get the best clothing in the game. that is how it used to be before all these fancy crown and redemption code items came along.

just get a year subscription for $60 special right now and be done with buying anything in-game for that whole year. let them become grandmasters and farm for their own clothes. crowns are just the easy way out. I am lazy, that is why i use crowns. they are the easiest way to play.

signing off,

Paul FireWard Grandmaster Pyromancer

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
i have absolutly no problem with the crowns system because, well, I ALMOST NEVER USE THEM. if you dont like crowns, just live withought them.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Zeebee4 wrote:
Hi there,

I know that Sony's Free Realms and some less known games support this type of play, pay a monthly fee AND then pay more for the coolest items in the game... but I don't like it at ALL.

I think that kids games should definitely reward for hard work and not for whoever has the deepest pockets. Just being able to flip a switch throw money at something and be best sets the wrong example in my book. I've played with my daughters now for a while and the Crown system seems to be worse than ever now. This game would cost more than 3 WoW subscriptions if I bought them everything they wanted with crowns.

I feel like the game companies that promote this type of wringing dollars from a parents wallet for in game pixels that their kids want is really unethical and pathetic. Charge a higher monthly fee and let the kids have challenges in which they EARN the best items in game through hard work and perserverance.

I can't support a game company that enforces that only the rich get to have the best in game items... or one that bends it's players parents over a barrel.

Mom

I agree. But yet, as a lot of life goes, the richer people get the best stuff. I am not saying i like that, but sad to say, its truthful. Some of my friends who, like me, are NOT the richest people on earth, invent games on their own and try to make the best out of it. We have good attitudes about it and maybe we are not the people with flashy mounts and the most expensive rare items out there, but we are creative enough to figure out to have fun without crowns. Our unique qualities to have the best time without the best stuff, can get us enough happiness worth the same amount (or more) that crowns would be able to buy.

K.G~ lvl 50 Grandmaster Sorcerer

Defender
Jun 29, 2009
Dear Mom Over the Barrel:

From your post, I get the impression you have not played the game, and thus your kids have put you over that barrel unnecessarily. I hope the following information helps you to understand the workings of the game and crown so you are not at their mercy any more.

In the game you have quite a few items that can be bought with crown. They offer the gear, mounts, holiday gear, and the new school themed houses. Excluding the mounts and the new houses (which can be bought with in game gold or crown, so tell the kids to earn these items), most crown items are fairly reasonable. KI has made most of the crown gear affordable for kids to earn by doing odd jobs or by using their allowance (gear items run around $1 to $3 each). Also, KI has set it up so that parents have the option now of buying a set amount of crown and disbursing it over time at their discretion. Very nice and long overdue change KI!

This is information for your kids (and just so you know): Better gear can often be found at the bosses, the bazaar, through crafting or from Diego (for PVP use) than is offered from the crown selections. Also, they may get lucky and win crown gear from the various bosses within the game. Bosses also drop the holiday crown gear.

For those wishing the quick and easy method of purchasing crown items, it should be available to them. KI is a business not a charity, and some players do not have the time to farm due to homework or work time constraints. Now the real question is how much time do you want your kid in front of a monitor playing a game. I know of parents in the game that control all the passwords so that their children cannot play without their supervision, and limit the time their kids play. Once again, KI has made it very easy for parents to supervise their children.

Grandmother Not Over a Barrel