Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fire Miscalculations Need Fixing Now!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I have a Fire wizard. Obviously, I have some difficulty when facing Fire monsters because of their natural resistance to Fire, but I get by.

However, I have repeatedly noticed serious calculating errors on KI's part that needs addressing (and fixing).

Bascially, it comes down to this: when using one of my DoT spells, the actual damage they take per round does not match up with their resistance percentage.

For example: I just fought Firegut in Katzenstein's Lab... a level 5 Fire Boss who's resistance to Fire is roughly 65% (calculated by using immolate on him, which would have done 600 damage, but only did 204). I called up my minion, who constantly cast Fire Elf on him. Fire Elf does 50 damage, then 210 damage over three round (70hp damage per round).

However, damage was 15 on casting and ONLY 8hp for the next 3 rounds!!!! That is NOT 65~70% resistance. After fizzing three times with my sprite, I used Link (more to get some health then to do any sort of damage) on him. Link does 180 damage over three rounds (60hp damage per round). However, again he only took 7hp damage per round. ANOTHER huge difference between what is resistance is and the damage he is suppose to be taking.

Keep in mind, Firegut is only an example. This is happening with ALL Fire monsters I've used these spells on.

Please fix the damage to equal the resistance.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
no its calculating properly. not to sound rude, but your not understanding the calculation of the DoT spell. Every time an attack is made it applies Weaknesses/Resistances to the equation.

Damage is roughly calculated like this:
We will use the standard Fire Elf spell for this, 50 damage Apply Aura of 210 damage over 3 rounds
We will assume that you are wearing no armor and have no blades/traps/debuffs
foe has no shields
Foe's resists will be 65% based on your Firegut numbers
**WARNING - This process looks harder when its written with variables**
ROUND ALL FRACTIONS UP
N is just to represent that is a Negative number

Calculating the Standard Attack -

Damage1 = ((Base*gear)+(base*BladePositive)+(base*trap))+Base
Damage1 = ((50*0)+(50*0)+(50*0))+50
Damage1 = 50

Damage2 = Damage1+(Damage1*Ndebuff)
Damage2 = 50 - (50*0)
Damage2 = 50

Damage3 = Damage2+(Damage2*Nshield)
Damage3 = 50 + (50*0)
Damage3 = 50

ActualDamage = Damage3+(Damage3*{Nresists OR weakness})
ActualDamage = 50 + (50 * N0.65)
50 + N33
Actualdamage = 17

Calculating Aura (or the DoT) ***you use the above process instead of calling the fourth step Actualdamage we will call it Damage4***

Damage1 = ((210*0)+(210*0)+(210*0))+210
Damage2 = 210 + (210*0)
Damage3 = 210 + (210*0)

Damage4 = 210 + (210 * N0.65)
210 + N137
Damage4 = 73

AuraDamage = Damage4 / (# of rounds)
AuraDamage = 73 / 3
AuraDamage = 24

ActualDamage = AuraDamage + (AuraDamage * {Nresists OR weakness})
= 24 + (24 * N0.65)
= 24 + N16
ActualDamage = 8

**End Calculations**
To summarize, when you cast Fire Elf, it figures out the Attack, then it figures out how strong the Aura's attacks are and places a marker on the target to attack 3 times.

This holds true for ALL schools that have a DoT. It also works both ways. Your resists are applied both on the initial spell, and then the aura attack added to you.

So ALL you Ice school people count yourself real lucky.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I doubt that that is true. But if it is, then we have an even more serious problem. Your calculations are applying resistances to damage that it is not even taking yet, then applies the resistances yet again to the damage it does take each round.

Plus I have resistances to Fire (well, everything to be exact), and when the Fire Elf (or Ice Elf, or Storm Elf) is cast on me, I can honestly guarantee that those calculations are not being applied to the damage I am taking.

I've submitted a report to KI and received a reply that they are working on it and admitted that it was a problem.

Delver
Jun 30, 2009
You need to use Conversion
Conversion works when you have the same school facing you. You cast the spell, if they cast a Shield (Like Ice) after then it doesn't effect the Conversion. If it is before, then it WILL effect the conversion. And all I can say is. Use your other school. And wait till DragonSpyre. It only gets worse, (like Pyromancers Tomb. Secure House. ETC: )

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Geez. I'm not asking how to fight a monster of my school. And the proper KI term is Prism, which I already know about and use.

If you have no real input concerning THE SUBJECT MATTER, please don't post.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
Preacher7719 wrote:
I have a Fire wizard. Obviously, I have some difficulty when facing Fire monsters because of their natural resistance to Fire, but I get by.

However, I have repeatedly noticed serious calculating errors on KI's part that needs addressing (and fixing).

Bascially, it comes down to this: when using one of my DoT spells, the actual damage they take per round does not match up with their resistance percentage.

For example: I just fought Firegut in Katzenstein's Lab... a level 5 Fire Boss who's resistance to Fire is roughly 65% (calculated by using immolate on him, which would have done 600 damage, but only did 204). I called up my minion, who constantly cast Fire Elf on him. Fire Elf does 50 damage, then 210 damage over three round (70hp damage per round).

However, damage was 15 on casting and ONLY 8hp for the next 3 rounds!!!! That is NOT 65~70% resistance. After fizzing three times with my sprite, I used Link (more to get some health then to do any sort of damage) on him. Link does 180 damage over three rounds (60hp damage per round). However, again he only took 7hp damage per round. ANOTHER huge difference between what is resistance is and the damage he is suppose to be taking.

Keep in mind, Firegut is only an example. This is happening with ALL Fire monsters I've used these spells on.

Please fix the damage to equal the resistance.
Most people get school boosts from their clothes, a DoT spell only gets the boost on the prelude attack the auras don't get any sort of boost.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
I first need to point out a small error in my calculations.

In the Damage1 section of the Aura calculations, it does not take into consideration Traps. Traps are only added when the Aura makes an actual attack, and it consumes them like standard attacks.

Second of all, there is not an error in my calculations as if you do them out yourself with the numbers provided, it comes out as the game says. I challenge you to get the base damages from the Elf spells, and use the formulas I have provided post them and validate your claim.

If there is any error, then it is the calculation of resistances into the Aura, and then its KI's fault and they will do something about it.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
did you really find it absolutely necessary to quote on this short topic?

And if you are going to quote it, at least read it. Where do I even mention clothing?

And you are wrong. Blades boost damage on "auras"