Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Excessive Beggars are everywhere!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
glade8er wrote:
well it seems no one else is that luky :(
I too have permanent mounts from bundles and the crown shop and I am almost never begged on. The only time i had someone ask me for something was a friend that helped me through a dungeon.

If you are having trouble, i would suggest porting to an empty realm. I don't really read text bubbles to often unless they are my friends or my parents. And I don't really run into beggars in higher lvl worlds.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
I was playing on my level 9 Life, I'd transferred over a Mega Sea Dragon to make it a bit easier, and I receive a friend request from a level 71 wizard with only crowns gear on. Well, I accept the request and get on with my quests. He ports to me, and asks me to gift him a Sea Dragon. Astounded. He has crowns gear on. That usually means that he is able to buy crowns. He should also be far enough in Celestia to be able to farm Astraeus for the pet. Nothing else I felt like doing than unfriending him and bluntly saying "no". End of story, thanks for reading.

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
I have a story of my own, with no crowns to gift with!

Me: Hi Katie
Katie: Hey
Me: Wanna help me farm for Jacket of Withstanding?
Katie: Can you gift me?
Me: No.
Katie: Sis eh wont gift I
Me: What? Are you trying to say your sister wont gift you?
Katie: Says the same thing at the top^
^
Me: Stop
Me: Bye
Me: Ignores

I agree, beggars take up most of peoples time, the best thing to do is avoid them.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2012
The worst thing a beggar could do:

Beggar: Can you gift me?
Me: Sorry no crowns "true"
Beggar: Gift me or i will report you
Me: "ports away"
Me: Gets reported for cussing (which i did not do)

KI Fix this.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
I have played a lot of online games, and beggars are in any game where there is currency. Just ignore them as quickly as possible. They are not going to help you just because you helped them, and they are not going to be people with whom you will want to hang out. Fortunately, the clear majority of folks I have met have been cool (you know who you are, cool people, take a bow). But just ignore the beggars. If everyone does this, eventually they will either go away or go earn their way. I know a lot of folks don't like to have to do this, because they really want to be helpful themselves and have peeps available that they can go questing with. But most other courses of action besides the quick ignore will just waste your time and get you angry/frustrated.

Having said that, I have seen some games where, if enough people "flag" a particular person (in one game, it was a generic "spamming" button, to include begging, etc.) then that character would be automatically "muted" for a period of time (I think 24 hours). This generally worked, as the person had to be an annoyance to several people and not just 1 or 2, and it had the added advantage that moderators in the game didn't have to constantly deal with these sorts of folks. The "muted" person could still play, they just couldn't communicate with others easily. For Wizard101, this could just "mute" the regular chat and restrict the offender to the drop-down menu-based chat. Dealing with beggars and spammers is very annoying for game moderators, too, if it has to be done manually. Is there any chance that if 10+ people flag someone within a few hours for begging/spamming, there could be an "auto-mute" that drops that person to the menu chat?

Thanks.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2011
I have never had an encounter with a beggar, although I have seen it happening to other people. When I see something I want, I'm like, oh, that's cool. I'll ask them where they got it. I don't beg because no one ever gives to beggars. its common sense. Also, on another topic, I hate it when people use noob as an insult. Its rude and uninformed. All of us were noobs at one point and its really mean to insult people because of it.
Grace Sandweaver, level 41

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Begging exists in online games and real life.

A quick way to deal with this is either ignore them, or simply reply I was just going to ask you the same thing!

Either way; its a win-win for you!

Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
I in person agree that the beggars are invading. I have this friend who constantly asks me for help (he's in Khrysalis). So one day, I go to help one of my other friends, and he ports in and says, "You help (forgot his name) but not me?" So I'm like, "He hasn't asked nearly as much as you." Then he says count how many times i have asked you for help." I have a bad memory so he counted and replied 12. "So you port in and shame me for helping someone else over you? I am taking a break," I say. Then he starts asking for how long. The thing is, it's hard for me to say no. What should I do?

Destiny Hexvault, Level 100

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
DestinyTheLifeWiza... on Jul 6, 2014 wrote:
I in person agree that the beggars are invading. I have this friend who constantly asks me for help (he's in Khrysalis). So one day, I go to help one of my other friends, and he ports in and says, "You help (forgot his name) but not me?" So I'm like, "He hasn't asked nearly as much as you." Then he says count how many times i have asked you for help." I have a bad memory so he counted and replied 12. "So you port in and shame me for helping someone else over you? I am taking a break," I say. Then he starts asking for how long. The thing is, it's hard for me to say no. What should I do?

Simple solution. Ignore him... literally...put him on ignore. That is not a 'friend' at all.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
DestinyTheLifeWiza... on Jul 6, 2014 wrote:

What you should do is not spam the topic.
You don't have to help anyone, nor must they help you. I generally help my friends with bosses (asking for help with things on the street earns my ire) but not if I'm busy.

Squire
May 10, 2013
Webbeam on Oct 19, 2009 wrote:
There are so many beggars in Wizard City now that you can't carry on a conversation with anyone without solicitations popping up over and over. It's gotten so bad it ruins the game for everyone else. Many are just trying to trick newcomers out of treasure cards only to port away without fulfilling the promise of help or trades. It's gotten out of hand and needs to be dealt with.

Are excessive and disruptive solicitations of goods from other players grounds for being reported? Shouldn't it be?
I'm looking back to Gamma's topic about "Be smart when trading treasure cards."

Be sensible. If you think he is gonna give you a Prehistoric Bundle for 7 treasure cards, its no.

You always have a right to press "cancel."

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
I don't know anyone who believes someone just going to gift you a $30 item in the crown shop and expect nothing in return. And ALL THOSE PEOPLE asking in the Commons: "I need a girl" or "I need a boy." I have seriously typed in a response to those people that says; "get a life" or "if your asking complete strangers out in a online game, you are miserable." People who are asking to take them to Winterbane Hall or the new Spiral Cup Dungeon are just people who can't pull forty bucks out of their piggy bank and go to Target and buy the thing. It drives me CRAZY! If one of those beggars are reading this, at least get a friend to take you to theirs.

Marcus Suncrafter, lvl 71

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
icetypeforever on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
The worst thing a beggar could do:

Beggar: Can you gift me?
Me: Sorry no crowns "true"
Beggar: Gift me or i will report you
Me: "ports away"
Me: Gets reported for cussing (which i did not do)

KI Fix this.
Back in 2011, when the 2 person Rhino came out as the first multi person mount, I was on the way to the Bazaar when a swarm of people came at me and tried to add me to their friends list and add me to a group. People asked for rides and others begged me for gifts since I'm "rich" for having that mount. I began to get cursed at after turning all the requests down and reported for as the thing said: being rude and not giving rides.

1st off, I'm not rich. I got it on a gift card I spent my own money on a $40 dollar (not including tax) gift card at GameStop.

2nd, don't beg me for a ride, that's only helping you NOT get a ride.

3rd, If you want a ride, you have to be my friend and the others in the group are my friends too.

Marcus Suncrafter, lvl 71

Survivor
Jan 06, 2013
Someone actually invited his friend to my house because his friend wanted to beg me for a mount. I don't use crowns and he wouldn't leave my house until is started saying, "please go away I really don't want you in my house anymore. And no I won't get you a mount!" And his friend said I was being rude. They were in my house and I have no crowns and even if I did what would I get in this trade? Do I get like a pet or something? No I get less crowns than before. They offer you TCs for mounts. What a rip off. I have piles of TCs I don't need more.

I really hate it when people beg for mounts or pets or whatever.

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
I: I just got the new spiral cup bundle and now all anyone every asks me is add me or can I use your spiral cup dungeon I get so tired of it

Survivor
Oct 28, 2013
WilliamGD185 on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
well... you can always turn text chat off so you dont intercept messages... they come out like this if you wanna know what it looks like to menuchatters:

Well this is also what it looks like normally for [ me at least ] when textchatters try to talk in the commons:
Charlotte Talon:
Evan FrostBlood:
So this mean the textchatters are either using innapropriat language ( swearing without filter cheats, personal info, ect.) or their sometimes just trying to have a conversation but the wizard101 dictionary just cant cope with it.

Victoria Skullbringer Level 12 Initate Necromancer Fire/Death Undead Stalker.

Survivor
Jul 15, 2013
londonm123 on Mar 24, 2013 wrote:
You'd better not forget the:

Beggar's Rusty Athame: -50 health, -5 mana Cost: 100c
Beggar's Plastic Ring: Gives 10 Stun Block Spells (Basically Useless) Cost 50c
Beggar's Flawed Necklace: -50% accuracy -75% all damage Cost 100c
Beggar's Creaky Wagon: -25% Normal Speed, Gives 1 Beggar's Clothes Piece every 15 minutes Cost 250c

This has brightened my day today
I think the beggars plastic ring would be good for higher levels, with all the medusas and snow angels being tossed around!

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
For me, the solution is to turn off friend requests every time I go into the Commons. Once I get back to a higher level world, I turn them back on. It's sad that I have been forced to do this, but if I don't, I get friend requests from level 7 players, who immediately start the "Can you gift me a <house, mount, gear>?" spiel.

Yes, I have crowns. Yes, I have crowns gear on most of my wizards. Yes, I have a job and earn money in order to spend a bit here and there on Wizard 101. No, I am not going to gift a total stranger a house, or a mount, or gear. One has to wonder-if these begging players are out and about, and they see, oh I don't know, someone driving a Corvette, do they meander over and ask the driver to gift them one?

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Keira SpiritHeart on Jul 29, 2013 wrote:
Anyone go through this??:

Me getting ready for pvp: Ugh, Why isnt the other team Excepting?

A random guy: Excuse me.

Me: (WHAT!) Yes? :3

The random guy: I need crowns, Can you give me some?

Me: (Is he Idiot or does he know how to Hack?) I don't have allot... (Getting ready To ignore or Report)

Jordan (The random guy): Oh well... Can you give me the left overs?

Me: Well, haha, Do you know how to share crowns?

Jordan: no.. >:( Give me the crowns already.

NOTE: This was in public. >.<

Me: Well you know my username?

Him: no, Whats your username.

Me: Look buddy, We don't hand out our Information, Now shoo plz. c:

Him: Give me your password and username first.

Me: I'm leaving, (Goes to The commons, Then prepares to Report the Nub :D)

Keira SpiritHeart lvl 90
This happened to my son a few years ago. A friend of a friend added him, then proceeded to try and convince him to give up his user name and password in exchange for free crowns. We screenshotted the entire chat box, and emailed KI with the details, attaching the screenshot. That player was removed. Luckily, my son is savvy enough to understand anyone asking for your personal info is inherently dangerous, but for other kids, please, please never give out your account information. You know that little warning at the bottom of the log in page? It's true. All your gear, your pets, your house, everything you've farmed for, and worked so hard to accumulate, will disappear.

If you run into a player who asks for your account information, may I suggest doing what my son and I did: screenshot the chat box and email KI with the player's wizard name, all the details, and attach the screenshot. I understand you might not want to get someone in trouble, but what they are doing is a clear violation of the rules KI sets up to keep our accounts safe. And if you aren't able to screenshot what's happening, ask an adult or another friend in the game for help.

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
Well first of all, as the staff of Wizard101 states. You can notreportsomeone for being rude(look in the headmaster announcement article ''i got reported" for more information) And begging is Definetly rude!

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
I never get beggars. I don't have text chat, and they can see that, so I never have any problems. If the game is SOOO annoying with beggars in it, just turn off your text chat thingy in your account's settings.
You won't get any beggars.
Text chat is fun but if you hate beggars so much that it ruins the game for you, then you might want to turn it off...

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
i hear you. i once got a random friend request from someone, and just as a test i accepted them the see is they would ask me to gift them. and guess what! they just said, ''hi :P." then the next thing they said was, "can you gift me a mega snack pack :P." so i put them on ignore and ran away.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2011
Webbeam on Oct 19, 2009 wrote:
There are so many beggars in Wizard City now that you can't carry on a conversation with anyone without solicitations popping up over and over. It's gotten so bad it ruins the game for everyone else. Many are just trying to trick newcomers out of treasure cards only to port away without fulfilling the promise of help or trades. It's gotten out of hand and needs to be dealt with.

Are excessive and disruptive solicitations of goods from other players grounds for being reported? Shouldn't it be?
I know exactly what everybody means I see it all the time and when I was a level 15 I had a ultra rare card... the summoning of malistare. Anyway somebody promised me to gift if I gave him treasure cards and he ran o. o.. I didnt know if I should report him so I let him go but I think that this should be stopped. I feel bad that these people trick the newcommers and they leave with out a trace. This needs to be stopped soon.

Tyler DragonSpear level 86 wizard

P.S. ( if any of you see me let me know you saw my post and i will add you! :D )

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
Intrepidatius on Jun 25, 2010 wrote:
I am not nice to beggars. Begging is rude,and I deal with it the same. We need member-only worlds,and that would drastically cut down on the beggars,and others who just like to cause problems.
Yes, this is a good idea. The beggars usually don't pay money.
But what I think is that there should be members only realms, not worlds.
A whole new world just for members? What about people who pay for their worlds for crowns? Plus those beggars can't get into high-level worlds anyway if they don't pay.
But please do make a new realm for members only.

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
Dragoncloud888 on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
Yes, this is a good idea. The beggars usually don't pay money.
But what I think is that there should be members only realms, not worlds.
A whole new world just for members? What about people who pay for their worlds for crowns? Plus those beggars can't get into high-level worlds anyway if they don't pay.
But please do make a new realm for members only.
I agree that the realms thing is better. I don't think it would end well If you HAD to be a member to continue playing.

Marcus Suncrafter, lvl 74