Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mount Scamming (important for administrators)

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 19, 2009
I would like to bring attention something very wrong happening in-game. I was in Olde Town when i saw a girl saying she would give away one of her mounts for two good cards. So two guys did that and when they got done, she ported away and scammed them. I want to let ALL administrators know that mounts for cards scam is starting. Just a heads up.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
0stormbreak0 wrote:
I would like to bring attention something very wrong happening in-game. I was in Olde Town when i saw a girl saying she would give away one of her mounts for two good cards. So two guys did that and when they got done, she ported away and scammed them. I want to let ALL administrators know that mounts for cards scam is starting. Just a heads up.

I'm not surprised to hear this asp. sence the prices are so ungodly high
that no one but the super Rich can. I mean 15k and up! for the good mounts.
it does not matter which kind of money you use because you do not get very much game Gold for battles won anymore, like it USED TO BE.
So the reaction is a lot more scams & scammers and upset angery Wizards.

INCL. most subscribers ( which should get at least one perminet broomstick per account. or an alotment of crowns each month for being a
subscriber.) but Nooooo the King just gets greedier, IMO, Its another
SLAP in the face to subscribers.

You can not really do much about the scammers either because they all report you sometimes even before you report them!!! and it always gets messed up and then your name in game is MUD there after. (That is if you didn't also get banned!) so whats the use of reporting at all? I now just hit the ignor button and be done with it.

Survivor
Nov 04, 2008
i know right? i got 3 people who did this to me

blaze rubyblood lvl 50

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
The begging for mounts and amount of friend requests made to my one 31 level wizard on her rental mount is obscene. I have been reporting almost as much as playing today because I don't think there is a place for it in the game.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2008
And yet people wonder why I stick to my guns and said GIFTING is a HORRIBLE idea along with Trading. Removing it would end ALL scams.

If people played the game they would get Treasure Cards, coins and Items to sell for coins for killing monsters and doing quests. They got the bazaar they can buy Treasure Cards and Items they need. They have crafting to create your own Treasure Cards.

The very very very few legit reasons to trade do not warrant the MASS amounts of grief and problems created by Trading and Gifting.

Valkoor
50 Death Wizard
Annoyed Subscribed Parent

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
Urlryn wrote:
And yet people wonder why I stick to my guns and said GIFTING is a HORRIBLE idea along with Trading. Removing it would end ALL scams.

If people played the game they would get Treasure Cards, coins and Items to sell for coins for killing monsters and doing quests. They got the bazaar they can buy Treasure Cards and Items they need. They have crafting to create your own Treasure Cards.

The very very very few legit reasons to trade do not warrant the MASS amounts of grief and problems created by Trading and Gifting.

Valkoor
50 Death Wizard
Annoyed Subscribed Parent

Valkoor, i agree with you. I think gifting is the worst idea anyone involved with wizard101 has ever made. one of my good friends got scammed out of a wild bolt. I'm just glad there is less begging than in the test realm. I was hoping it would be removed, but xsighx, it wasnt. But trading should stay. I enjoy trying to collect every 7 pip card.

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
0stormbreak0 wrote:

For those who actually read these boards, you can NOT trade for a mount. It is like trading for clothes, you can't do it. Now tell me since you saw this going on why YOU didn't report her? don't think of a her as the weaker sex, not like that in real life. Stealing is stealing in the game or in life, it WILL and can come back and bite you in the backside!

I have given away a week worth of a mount to a guy I've played with for almost a year, he didn't ask me for it but I felt he should have a ride if only for a week. If I had more money I would have gotten one that would be his forever. Some folks just don't have a heart, they are out for what they don't have to do a thing for.

Community Leader
Urlryn wrote:

Yeah, I'm not pleased with the addition of gifting either. The lack of trading (and attendant begging/scamming) was one of the things that granted some blessed peace to this particular game.

I can see why it might be good strictly for family accounts, but not so much for accounts in general.

Explorer
Jul 19, 2009
I agree, but there are also Predators who say, "Give me your password so i can get you al lot of gold and get you a permanent mount " I know this because It almost happened to me. Some guy asked me for my password and said that.
The only time i give my password is to my brother, he is one of the very few people i trust with it. Otherwise DON'T GIVE YOUR PASSWORD TO ANYONE!

Defender
Feb 19, 2009
Whiterose2 wrote:
0stormbreak0 wrote:

For those who actually read these boards, you can NOT trade for a mount. It is like trading for clothes, you can't do it. Now tell me since you saw this going on why YOU didn't report her? don't think of a her as the weaker sex, not like that in real life. Stealing is stealing in the game or in life, it WILL and can come back and bite you in the backside!

I have given away a week worth of a mount to a guy I've played with for almost a year, he didn't ask me for it but I felt he should have a ride if only for a week. If I had more money I would have gotten one that would be his forever. Some folks just don't have a heart, they are out for what they don't have to do a thing for.

uh, buddy maybe you have'nt noticed but mount scamming is ABOUT the same as card scamming. If someone card scams you, it ISN'T in the rules saying you can not scam. same goes for mounts. so you cant report it otherwise it would be counted as FALSE reporting.

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
0stormbreak0 wrote:
Whiterose2 wrote:
0stormbreak0 wrote:

uh, buddy maybe you have'nt noticed but mount scamming is ABOUT the same as card scamming. If someone card scams you, it ISN'T in the rules saying you can not scam. same goes for mounts. so you cant report it otherwise it would be counted as FALSE reporting.

first I'm an NOT your buddy, don't call me that. second, stealing is stealing, asking for passwords is the worst you can do but stealing is right up there. it's not false reporting, wait it was YOU doing this? shame on you!

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
Whiterose2 wrote:
0stormbreak0 wrote:
Whiterose2 wrote:
0stormbreak0 wrote:

first I'm an NOT your buddy, don't call me that. second, stealing is stealing, asking for passwords is the worst you can do but stealing is right up there. it's not false reporting, wait it was YOU doing this? shame on you!

Why are you angry at this person and attacking them, because you were foolish enough to fall for a scam? I play constantly and I know that people who aren't working towards a goal and are begging are ruthless, uncaring and scammers. You didn't have to hit the accept button. So, please don't take your anger out on others because someone tricked you.

Scamming is part of life, on here and in real life. You have to stop, think and use your common sense. If you want to take that chance and someone gets you, than that is on you.

Regarding gifting, I think it is a wonderful idea. I play with my daughter and I love the fact that I can surprise her with a gift. You don't have to sit there and listen to those people. You can run pass them. Turn of their bubbles and move on.

It's really up to you if you want to give someone that you don't know a valuable gift. You gambled and you lost!

Defender
Feb 19, 2009
Whiterose2 wrote:
0stormbreak0 wrote:
Whiterose2 wrote:
0stormbreak0 wrote:

well sorry for trying to be friendly. And why would you accuse me of being a scammer when i reported this in the first place? First, people aren't necessarily trading their password for a mount. (I mean who would give up an account you worked hard on just for a mount?) So use some common sense like sanmil0963 said and get over it. No need to use accusations. :x

Survivor
Jan 08, 2010
I find the game facinating, having just started in January. At first I didn't understand what "scamming" was, not having played any other online game. I admit I would stand and watch a variety of trade and gifting offers in the Commons.

Now that the Crown Shop is offering the new items and wings I have noticed an increase in the number of "players" asking for those items in the Commons, or just asking for the gift of Crowns to buy. I have seen all manner of reasons . . . "My Mom won't buy me Crowns" . . . "I need to buy something, so I can be happy because my mom just died."

I have not figured out how to report "scamming" . . . scamming items bought with gold is apparently not a reportable offence, scamming cards is not a reportable offence . . . is asking directly for crowns a reportable offence?

I also realize "Let the Buyer Beware" . . . you can't trade for anything but Treasure Cards, you should never divulge your log in information, and you should know who your "friends" really are before committing to gifting with Crowns.

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
Sorry to be the voice of reason here, but it did seem there is no reason here. First, if they report you, it's false. You name isn't mud because some scammer thought he could make you feel worse by reporting you after HE did the scamming. Second, it is SO easy to see scams guys, really, open your eyes. If anyone has the words "Cards" And "Mount" in the same sentence, they are running a scam.

Explorer
Nov 01, 2009
I think the atmosphere in the game created by those begging on the streets is insane. I use this game to help me relax and get away from reality for a while. It stresses me out when 90 percent of the people who ask me to be friends immediately turn around and want me to gift them a mount. That's when I tell them "no" then turn around and delete them from my friends list. But I can't stand watching all the scamming and begging going on. And the excuses they use "my mom died" "I live in a foster home"....give me a break! Maybe that is true but if your mom just died I don't think getting a mount in a game is going to ease your suffering any IMO.

I wish something could be done about the scamming and the begging, but obviously there can't be or it would stop by now. It just seems to me that since we can't go to the grocery store without kids at the door begging for money for one cause or another we shouldn't have to deal with begging on our game world.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
Aberlone wrote:
I find the game facinating, having just started in January. At first I didn't understand what "scamming" was, not having played any other online game. I admit I would stand and watch a variety of trade and gifting offers in the Commons.

Now that the Crown Shop is offering the new items and wings I have noticed an increase in the number of "players" asking for those items in the Commons, or just asking for the gift of Crowns to buy. I have seen all manner of reasons . . . "My Mom won't buy me Crowns" . . . "I need to buy something, so I can be happy because my mom just died."

I have not figured out how to report "scamming" . . . scamming items bought with gold is apparently not a reportable offence, scamming cards is not a reportable offence . . . is asking directly for crowns a reportable offence?

I also realize "Let the Buyer Beware" . . . you can't trade for anything but Treasure Cards, you should never divulge your log in information, and you should know who your "friends" really are before committing to gifting with Crowns.

And asking for your p/w (password) Can and Will get you BANNED!
if it is Reported and found true.

My Q is just how does KI find out otherwise If I was really mad at someone I could just say so and so asked me for my p/w
and BAM they R gone!

Administrator
SyphaN wrote:

And asking for your p/w (password) Can and Will get you BANNED!
if it is Reported and found true.

My Q is just how does KI find out otherwise If I was really mad at someone I could just say so and so asked me for my p/w
and BAM they R gone!

Everything said in the game, openly and in direct chat, is logged and reviewed by our customer support staff in its entirety. Words that appear red to the typist and as ... to everyone else, are also recorded.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Feb 18, 2010
I ran into the crowded Shopping District yesterday and yelled "Thieves!" and everyone ran away!

Explorer
Feb 26, 2009
cool2kitty wrote:
I ran into the crowded Shopping District yesterday and yelled "Thieves!" and everyone ran away!

hahaha! What a clever way to get some quiet shopping time!
I will so have to try that some time :)

Explorer
Dec 26, 2009
0stormbreak0 wrote:

I have seen people saying this everywhere. You must know it is a lie because when you trade, there is no way to trade a mount. You should know right there and then it is a scam.
I hope this helps

Grace UnicornHorn
lvl20
Life&fire

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
Actually, Administration is fully aware of the situation. I also happen to agree with their position on it, as it is the player's duty to be aware of what can/can't be traded and to simply use common sense in regards to 'if something is too good to be true, then it isn't true'...

Here's a post that's been made several times on the forums, due to complaints about 'being scammed' out of gold cards in hopes for a mount...

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/15635.ftl
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
You were not ripped off, young Wizard. You agreed to the trade, and we have repeatedly told you that if you do not think the trade you see in the Trade Window is fair, regardless of what the player promised you, then don't accept the trade.

Below is Mr Lincoln's statement on this matter. You've learned a valuable lesson, young Wizard, please educate others regarding this issue.
Just as we have all been instructed not to take candy from strangers, so should you know not to accept gifts from strangers. If you don't recognize the person who sent you the gift, don't accept it.

Since Gifting has come to the Spiral, I thought this might also be a good opportunity to remind our young Wizards to be wary of players promising gifts of mounts or other goodies, in exchange for your Treasure Cards.

Be sensible young Wizards, and ask yourselves if this person is really going to give you an item worth $30 of real money just for a few free Treasure Cards - the answer is, no, they're not. They're going to take your Treasure Cards and disappear. It's not a very nice thing to do, but all trades must be agreed upon by both parties. If the trade sounds too good to be true, it probably is, so don't accept the trade.

Please remember, reporting someone for 'scamming' you out of Treasure Cards is not valid, since you both had to agree to the trade. If what you see in the Trade window is not fair, regardless of what the player told you, don't agree to the trade, simple as that. Caveat emptor is a very powerful lesson to learn, young Wizards. Buyer Beware.

Survivor
Apr 09, 2010
Ok you i agree i was doing a quest when my so called friend said mount for cards i emeditly deleted him but forgot to ignore him so he kept sending me friend requests nd i couldnt ignore him because i couldnt find him in my friends list so after 5 minutes he stopped so the leason is that you think you know someone then the turn around and stab you in the back so beware friends you think you know arent eho they exatctly are

valdus frostrunner lvl29 adept thuamatugre (working on nimah quest lol)