Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP players “ranking down” and Arena Gear

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
Lately more now than before, I have noticed that there are many PvP players that have obtained the Warlord or Overlord rank that are, what is being called, “ranking down”. Let me explain…

In a 1v1 match, the two wizards will join, both wizards will select their first spell and once the round is completed, the wizard that is “ranking down” will leave the match in a way that does not penalize them for leaving or fleeing the match. Since I do not do this, I am unsure how this is being accomplished with out the penalty of fleeing the match. They will continue to do this until they reach a much lower rank. Now you are going to ask why they are doing this and I have found a couple of reason:

1. They are trying to acquire Arena tickets in an unfair manner and hoarding them for possible new armor that may or may not be coming out. Yes, it is only 3 tickets at a time while they are ranking down, but the climb back up to the top of the hill is 10 tickets for each win. All while they still get to wear the Commander Arena Gear against weaker opponents.

2. They are tired of waiting more that ten minutes to get a match. This occurs if the matching system can not find a Wizard that is a match for this wizard’s rank and level. It is frustrating to sit there and wait or watch others duel since I have noticed the same lag in getting a match for my overlord wizard.

For the lay person to PvP here are the current ranks:
> Private
> Corporal (525 points to attain this level)
> Sergeant (550)
> Veteran (600)
> Knight (650)
> Captain (700)
> Commander (800)
> Warlord (900)
> Overlord (1000+)

Now I really have no issue with a wizard that is “ranking down” since it really does not affect me other than getting some very easy matches and 10 quick tickets. What I do have an issue with is that these same wizards are allowed to wear the full arena gear at all rank levels. All of these wizards are wearing what is currently the best gear – Commander Rank Arena Gear.

Why is it that Wizard’s need to be a certain rank in order to redeem their Arena tickets to get the gear, BUT can wear the gear at all rank levels??

There really needs to be a level restriction on all of the Arena Gear for, what I recommend is, one rank level below the purchase restriction rank level. Again let me explain…

A Wizard that is “ranking down” that is wearing the Commander Arena Gear, should not be allowed to wear that gear once they are Knight level or below. The reason I choose one level below is because anyone can go on a losing streak and fall from Commander to Captain very easily and I feel those Wizards should not penalized. That would fix a lot of the Private through Knight ranks that are complaining that they are being matched with Wizards in full commander gear and it is a very unfair advantage for the Wizard that is wearing the gear.

KI – Please consider this suggestion for a rank restriction to not only for the purchasing Arena Gear, but to wearing that gear if you are not of that rank or one rank level below as well. Thanks!!

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
HatTrick3 wrote:
Lately more now than before, I have noticed that there are many PvP players that have obtained the Warlord or Overlord rank that are, what is being called, “ranking down”. Let me explain…

In a 1v1 match, the two wizards will join, both wizards will select their first spell and once the round is completed, the wizard that is “ranking down” will leave the match in a way that does not penalize them for leaving or fleeing the match. Since I do not do this, I am unsure how this is being accomplished with out the penalty of fleeing the match. They will continue to do this until they reach a much lower rank. Now you are going to ask why they are doing this and I have found a couple of reason:

1. They are trying to acquire Arena tickets in an unfair manner and hoarding them for possible new armor that may or may not be coming out. Yes, it is only 3 tickets at a time while they are ranking down, but the climb back up to the top of the hill is 10 tickets for each win. All while they still get to wear the Commander Arena Gear against weaker opponents.

2. They are tired of waiting more that ten minutes to get a match. This occurs if the matching system can not find a Wizard that is a match for this wizard’s rank and level. It is frustrating to sit there and wait or watch others duel since I have noticed the same lag in getting a match for my overlord wizard.

> Private
> Sergeant (550)
> Veteran (600)
> Knight (650)
> Captain (700)
> Commander (800)
> Warlord (900)
> Overlord (1000+)

Now I really have no issue with a wizard that is “ranking down” since it really does not affect me other than getting some very easy matches and 10 quick tickets. What I do have an issue with is that these same wizards are allowed to wear the full arena gear at all rank levels. All of these wizards are wearing what is currently the best gear – Commander Rank Arena Gear.

Why is it that Wizard’s need to be a certain rank in order to redeem their Arena tickets to get the gear, BUT can wear the gear at all rank levels??

There really needs to be a level restriction on all of the Arena Gear for, what I recommend is, one rank level below the purchase restriction rank level. Again let me explain…

A Wizard that is “ranking down” that is wearing the Commander Arena Gear, should not be allowed to wear that gear once they are Knight level or below. The reason I choose one level below is because anyone can go on a losing streak and fall from Commander to Captain very easily and I feel those Wizards should not penalized. That would fix a lot of the Private through Knight ranks that are complaining that they are being matched with Wizards in full commander gear and it is a very unfair advantage for the Wizard that is wearing the gear.

KI – Please consider this suggestion for a rank restriction to not only for the purchasing Arena Gear, but to wearing that gear if you are not of that rank or one rank level below as well. Thanks!!
i feel if you are found to be foarming tickets you sould lose all tickets and arena gear and be ban for some time that is not fair to anyone for someone to farm tickeks thats not how it was ment to be but that how it is something really need to be done here and soon i have worked very hard for everyone i have got and never give and i am overlord one my storm and have nice ranks on the rest of my guys . i have seen many people frarm them its like the new arena cheat its sad people just cantt do it on skill there skill cant get them that pet or that robe but it will get them to commander and thats all they need
i think it should matter how much you have have lost and with your rank should matter if you can have it
or no that would stop the ranks from falling from the sky like a 3 wins to one lose and a commander rank to have arena gear and there sould be no reset thats fair i feel and everyone that has worked hard for there rank should to all of the farmed tickets would be nothing anf they would have to work even harder just to get to put there arena gear back on and would never dream of letting there ranks go like that
and i have seen for a long time the lag your talking about that is a very big pain i miss all of the count down and half my turn thats not to fun to set there looking at a loading screen thinking i sure hope i loaded in the fight ever time but i would wait a lot longer be for i would trash my rank only a true noob would trash there rank over something like that i think they need to do some thinking on all this and some other things (cards) :-D :-P

scot deathhammer-grandmaster-fire balance storm-noob myth-and -death

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
HatTrick3 wrote:

> Private
> Sergeant (550)
> Veteran (600)
> Knight (650)
> Captain (700)
> Commander (800)
> Warlord (900)
> Overlord (1000+)

They achieve ranking down by not fleeing because they empty their deck to 1 card and no wand. So, when a turn passes they lose automatically due to lack of cards. I know about ranking down and I agree it's a bit ridiculous, but I sit there and laugh at them because they are vsing people who aren't as high as them in armor (they aren't good players so I won't compliment them by saying so).

I'm an overlord still, for a while now and refuse to rank down.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
qXiLL wrote:
They achieve ranking down by not fleeing because they empty their deck to 1 card and no wand. So, when a turn passes they lose automatically due to lack of cards. I know about ranking down and I agree it's a bit ridiculous, but I sit there and laugh at them because they are vsing people who aren't as high as them in armor (they aren't good players so I won't compliment them by saying so).
I'm an overlord still, for a while now and refuse to rank down.

Thanks for the explaination on how it is achieved... I as well refuse to "rank down" as well since there seems to be a reset on the very near horizon and we will all be ranked down anyway...

If you are more than one rank lower or more than the rank level of your Arena Gear that you wear... You should not be allowed to wear it. Plain and simple...

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
It fascinates me people get worked up over a free win. So you want them to spend endless amount of time to enjoy a game?

It's a simple KID's GAME!

If this practice somehow annoys you then I am afraid there isn't much that a game developer can do to set the world straight on the path of justice.

Take your fast win and move on. Much worse things going on...

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
hiway1999 wrote:
It fascinates me people get worked up over a free win. So you want them to spend endless amount of time to enjoy a game?

If this practice somehow annoys you then I am afraid there isn't much that a game developer can do to set the world straight on the path of justice.

First let me say I agree with HatTrick3 about not being allowed to wear your arena gear below a certain rank. Fabulous and fair idea!

Hiway1999, we're not talking about getting a free win. I've been a recipient of many free wins and I'm not complaining about that. What I really don't like are the Overlord and Warlord Grand Masters who have ranked down to the 300s and then are paired against, because of their low rank, to low level KIDS who have no Arena Gear, no high percentage power pips, no level 7 spells, no resist just so that they can begin hoarding arena tickets. I would classify them as being bullies. High School Seniors taking lunch money away from KIDS in Grammar School. Here you have KIDS playing a KID'S game because they are having fun! Can you imagine their frustration and disappointment when they see a fully bladed Triton, Helephant, Wraith, Colossus, Minotaur, Centaur or Judgement come their way when the most they have to counter with might be an Evil Snowman?

If it isn't Chain Stunning, it's something else in the name of Poor Sportsmanship and taking advantage of other players who just want to have fun playing a KID'S GAME. Have a nice day!

Julia SummerDreamer

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
PrincessLily wrote:
hiway1999 wrote:

First let me say I agree with HatTrick3 about not being allowed to wear your arena gear below a certain rank. Fabulous and fair idea!

Hiway1999, we're not talking about getting a free win. I've been a recipient of many free wins and I'm not complaining about that. What I really don't like are the Overlord and Warlord Grand Masters who have ranked down to the 300s and then are paired against, because of their low rank, to low level KIDS who have no Arena Gear, no high percentage power pips, no level 7 spells, no resist just so that they can begin hoarding arena tickets. I would classify them as being bullies. High School Seniors taking lunch money away from KIDS in Grammar School. Here you have KIDS playing a KID'S game because they are having fun! Can you imagine their frustration and disappointment when they see a fully bladed Triton, Helephant, Wraith, Colossus, Minotaur, Centaur or Judgement come their way when the most they have to counter with might be an Evil Snowman?

If it isn't Chain Stunning, it's something else in the name of Poor Sportsmanship and taking advantage of other players who just want to have fun playing a KID'S GAME. Have a nice day!

Julia SummerDreamer

Yes it is a kid's game and I play with my 7 year old son. So what? That same player on their way up the ranks faced off vs. this same kid. You know what my son does when he is matched up with them? He says "COOL DAD LOOK AT THIS! HIS ARMOR AND SPELLS ARE AWESOME!!!"

Also this short lived occurance doesn't happen long anyway. You can't stop someone from intentionally losing and the reward is 3 tickets. These people will get the tickets anyway if they got to warlord in the first place. Why force them to wait long to enjoy a match now and then and to wow a kid if that get's them going?

They rank up and don't see the kid due to matching ranks.

I -still- don't see what's wrong.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
OK they also my rank down before a KNOWN reset thats about to happen or they just want to gain tickets faster then to actually battle it out. I had an overlord lvl 26 life and when i heard about a reset i started to lose to get tickets for at least the vet robe

and even if there not the rank they should be still able to wear commander or veteran gear because they worked hard for that and if they want to lose to gain tickets then thats on them

Survivor
May 09, 2009
hiway1999 wrote:

I SO AGREE WITH YOU!!! MOVE ON PEOPLE, GET OVER IT! personally i find it amusing to get free points since i am always put up against armored people. if you wanna make it fair make it so those with armor are faced with other armors.. those without it are faced with those without it.. get my drift? that would be fair. dont take away armor that stuff is hard to accomplish. i know ive been working on it for 5 months and cant seem to get my rank high enough for it.. although i really do think they should take the armor away from those that used the pvp bug to get their armor.. i know a few of them who did.. and that my friends is not fair. lol but of course i probably wouldnt be saying that if i knew about it before they fixed the bug lol...