Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

SandStorm bug

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I am a balance type and i noticed an error when I cast my AOE, sandstorm. If I am targeting a monster that gets killed before I attack, my pips get taken but the spell isn't cast.

Defender
May 29, 2009

Not sure if this is a bug or something they coded on purpose, but it is undesirable.

Two ways to fix this:

1. Just make the spell a fizzle so you don't lose pips.

2. When you cast an AoE spell, you shouldn't have to target anyone. Just like when you cast the fairy (the one that only heals yourself), you don't have have to select yourself as the target of the spell. AoE spells already assume you're attacking all enemies -- no need to target any particular one.

I'd prefer #2; it just makes more sense.

Eluminara wrote:
I am a balance type and i noticed an error when I cast my AOE, sandstorm. If I am targeting a monster that gets killed before I attack, my pips get taken but the spell isn't cast.

Hero
May 19, 2009
Its not just with the sandstorm spell, its with every other AoE spell too. The best way to avoid that problem is by fighting more like a team, watch what spells your friends pick before you cast yours.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly that you should not have to target anyone.

#2 is definately the way to go with all AoE spells.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I dont understand. How do you not target anyone with your AOE? Yes it will attack everyone, but you still have to click on an enemy for it to attack.

Also, sometimes it can't be avoided targeting somone who gets killed before your attack. If you select the AOE then the other person picks a spell targeting the same person, its too late, you cant change targets.

Explorer
Sep 09, 2009
Eluminara wrote:
I dont understand. How do you not target anyone with your AOE? Yes it will attack everyone, but you still have to click on an enemy for it to attack.

Also, sometimes it can't be avoided targeting somone who gets killed before your attack. If you select the AOE then the other person picks a spell targeting the same person, its too late, you cant change targets.

I have to agree. Every spell I have used (except self heal spells)
required a target click. And this especially true when there is only
one enemy and using a multi target spell.

Explorer
Sep 09, 2009
And another thing that bugs me is that if the first person in a foursome
kills the last monster the three remaing players still cast their pending
spells and waste everything.

When the last monster in a set is dead, that should end it, period.

Defender
May 29, 2009

I look at it this way. AoE, by its nature, attacks all the enemies. Why would you have to target ONE particular enemy? Why not just make it so that you just pick your AoE spell and that's it? It should already know to attack all enemies.

It's similar to the healing pixie spell that everyone gets. It heals only yourself. So you'll notice when you select this spell, it doesn't make you target yourself because it already knows what to do. You don't have to click on yourself for the heal to become activated and heal yourself.

Eluminara wrote:

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Eluminara wrote:

Because if a spell is designed to affect ALL enemies, what is the point in selecting a particular enemy ... it is actually contradictive because the spell targets ALL the enemies, not just the one you selected.

When you select your Pixie to heal yourself, do you have to select yourself afterwards? No. Because your Pixie will ONLY heal you. KI understood this and skipped the part where you would have to select yourself next as the target of the Pixie spell.

This is the EXACT same concept we are asking for when we cast an AoE spell. Do not make us select an enemy ... by the very definition of the card, they are ALL affected.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Eluminara wrote:
it happens to all spells. so watch what your teamates are using.

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
this problem was pointed out 6 months ago, the suggestion to make it not pick just one was in the list. They claim it would take too much programming, I don't agree.

If I didn't cast a spell then why STEAL the pips away? That isn't fair gaming.
If I cast a spell and it fizzles then I get to keep my pips? um ok so why even have pips? It has taken me almost a year to figure out how to get past this problem and only works if I'm playing with the folks I usually play with. I can guess and they can guess what I'm going to be doing so it doesn't happen very often anymore. BUT if you get a player that isn't someone your used to it can raise havoc with the system you have figured out. So I say if you don't cast a spell then you should NOT lose the pips.