Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question about wand/staff choices

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
I have received wand/staff drops that offer 5-7 cards of the same thing, and a low dmg hit at that and so I've been selling them. However, on the forums I've seen folks talk about farming these things and I don't understand why, other than they look cooler than the novice wand I am using.

Why would I want to trade my 7 different cards for 7 of one type of damage and smaller damage at that? Given the fact folks talk about spending much time farming these things, I am thinking there must be some game mechanic I am missing???

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with the noob. :)

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
Since no one answered this, I can explain part of it. The wand spell has zero pip cost with 100% accuracy. This is great when you want to save pips for a big spell and still do a little damage. Generally at higher levels, you will have damage boosting equipment for your main school of magic which means for 0 pips you will be doing more damage with the wand than a mixed batch of level 1 attack cards that cost a pip and can still fizzle. It may not seem like it, but the zero cost makes those spells extremely versatile. Besides doing damage and saving pips, it's also good for removing harmful wards and charms to clear the way for your real spells.

Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
spidweb00 wrote:
Since no one answered this, I can explain part of it. The wand spell has zero pip cost with 100% accuracy. This is great when you want to save pips for a big spell and still do a little damage. Generally at higher levels, you will have damage boosting equipment for your main school of magic which means for 0 pips you will be doing more damage with the wand than a mixed batch of level 1 attack cards that cost a pip and can still fizzle. It may not seem like it, but the zero cost makes those spells extremely versatile. Besides doing damage and saving pips, it's also good for removing harmful wards and charms to clear the way for your real spells.

Exactly......In addition its best not to use a wand/staff of your own school. Doing so will set off your traps and blades.
Thanks, Kieran

Survivor
Mar 27, 2009
Merawyn wrote:
I have received wand/staff drops that offer 5-7 cards of the same thing, and a low dmg hit at that and so I've been selling them. However, on the forums I've seen folks talk about farming these things and I don't understand why, other than they look cooler than the novice wand I am using.

Why would I want to trade my 7 different cards for 7 of one type of damage and smaller damage at that? Given the fact folks talk about spending much time farming these things, I am thinking there must be some game mechanic I am missing???

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with the noob. :)

i know the first wands/staffs like this do little damage but as you go farther through the game they come up but they do more damage eventually you will get a wand/staff that does 100 damage (or so i have heard)