Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion: Keyboard Mapping

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
I did a search, but I didn't find this in the results.

I would like to suggest that players be allowed to re-map the keyboard shortcuts so that they can select what keys perform which functions per their playstyle/preference.

Also, I would like to see targeting keys added. I prefer to use the keyboard over the mouse to play, and being able to target enemies with keys (like 1 thru 4) as well as anyone helping in the fight (say Ctrl+1 thru Ctrl+4) would really allow me to play more comfortably and enjoy the game more. (Also, if this were to be implimented, the ability to re-map those as well would be nice.)

Cronniss Starrmyrr

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
I most emphatically agree!

The 'end' key is positioned right above the 'arrow' keys on my notebook's keyboard. I can't begin to count the number of times when I've accidentally bumped the 'end' key, only to be whisked away to the commons area of the world I was currently in. It is an ironic key mapping, though, as it usually results in bad language, and in me logging off for the rest of the day.

I also have a problem seeing the wand cursor sometimes when some of those 'dome' spells, like Balefrost or Wyldfire, are up. I think being able to target through the keyboard would help. Maybe we can also get the ability to change the colour of the wand cursor?

Sophia Moondust
Master Pyromancer, Master Artisan

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
Another addition in to adding targeting keys, would also be the ability to select and play a card via the keyboard.

Currently, if you have your cursor wand over a card you press the spacebar to select it; but you still need to click on the target of the card. Adding a card selection ability via keyboard would allow a player to select the card they wants to use with the keyboard and then use a targeting key to apply the card to either their enemy, battle companion or themselve.

Cronniss Starrmyrr

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
Another item I'd like to add to this suggestion:

Allow the use of a keyboard for any mini-game that requires a mouse to play. Example: Shock a Lock (Silver Chests); a mini-game similar to that of Pipe Dream, having to put a series of "pipes" in a path from beginning to end so that the lock can be opened. While the mouse will allow a "freer" movement than the keyboard would, I would still be more comfortable (and faster) using a keyboard for this game than the mouse.

The arrow keys or 10-keypad could be used for directional movement in such games, and other keys could be assigned to perform actions.

(If you guys haven't noticed yet, I'm old-school when it comes to computers. I've been using them since before the mouse was added as a standard to the home computer system.)

Cronniss Starrmyrr