Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why quickjoin?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Why do you HAVE to quickjoin ranked matches? It makes no sense to me! Does anyone agree???

Kestrel Ghostwalker~lvl 42 master sorcerer =)

Survivor
Apr 02, 2009
If it wasn't quick join then you could choose your opponent, and that would cause a lot of problems.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Firedragon491 wrote:
If it wasn't quick join then you could choose your opponent, and that would cause a lot of problems.

Yeah i guess so.

Defender
May 28, 2009
Firedragon491 is correct. If you could just pick your opponents then people would only pick folks that they think they could win against, or pick friends and try to circumvent the system in some way. Additionally, quick join is not the ONLY way to join a match. If you are not doing 1v1 then quick join allows you to join with other people playing who do not have a team put together yet. Otherwise you can create a team of friends to play with that you know BEFORE you get joined. Keep in mind that Quick Join is NOT the matching system it is simply a team creator. After the team (whether quick join or friends) is created THEN that team gets "Matched".

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Zigmon wrote:
Firedragon491 is correct. If you could just pick your opponents then people would only pick folks that they think they could win against, or pick friends and try to circumvent the system in some way. Additionally, quick join is not the ONLY way to join a match. If you are not doing 1v1 then quick join allows you to join with other people playing who do not have a team put together yet. Otherwise you can create a team of friends to play with that you know BEFORE you get joined. Keep in mind that Quick Join is NOT the matching system it is simply a team creator. After the team (whether quick join or friends) is created THEN that team gets "Matched".

Yes, but wouldnt it be helpful if you could know their level at least? because if you randomly got match up with a lvl 50 and you were like lvl 34 or something, that wouldnt be fair. I would still think that if I was the lvl 50. That way you could at least try another pvp. and the 2v2 and up pvps take a lot of time to get the match together. Well, sometimes. plus if none of your friends are on, then you cant team up with them. I mean then there is practice but you dont get any arena tickets. :(

Kestrel Ghostwalker~ lvl 43 master sorcerer

Defender
May 28, 2009
IamLezul wrote:
Yes, but wouldnt it be helpful if you could know their level at least. because if you randomly got match up with a lvl 50 and you were like lvl 34 or something, that wouldnt be fair.

Well, you do kinda know their level once you get into a match with them don't you. All you really have to do is look at their clothes or pet or wait for them to talk and then click on their name in the text box. What you want to do is see what level they are BEFORE you go into the match. In that case, you are complaining about the matching system NOT your lack of knowledge going in or your inability to choose an opponent. There are many in the Wizard101 community that agree with you on this issue. There are many posts stating that the matching system is broken and asking KI to fix it. The problem is that the issue is too complicated (and people are too impatient) to be corrected by a computer. There is a very sophisticated system in place that tries to match people as closely as possible among the available players. Sometimes there just aren't enough available players or not enough grandmasters to match all the grandmasters. I have noticed that if it takes a very long time to match then I usually get a lower level opponent. This tells me that the system waited for a set amount of time until is started reducing the requirements for matching me. The reason KI probably did this is because people were screaming that it was taking "Forever" to get matched.
The Bottom Line for me is this; I believe that the matching system they have in place now is about as good as it is going to get. No, you can not know who you are getting matched with before you go in. Yes, you have to wait for a match to be made if there aren't any suitable opponents at the time. Yes, there are going to be wins and losses specifically because the matching system put two opponents together that were too dissimilar.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Zigmon wrote:
IamLezul wrote:
Yes, but wouldnt it be helpful if you could know their level at least. because if you randomly got match up with a lvl 50 and you were like lvl 34 or something, that wouldnt be fair.

Well, you do kinda know their level once you get into a match with them don't you. All you really have to do is look at their clothes or pet or wait for them to talk and then click on their name in the text box. What you want to do is see what level they are BEFORE you go into the match. In that case, you are complaining about the matching system NOT your lack of knowledge going in or your inability to choose an opponent. There are many in the Wizard101 community that agree with you on this issue. There are many posts stating that the matching system is broken and asking KI to fix it. The problem is that the issue is too complicated (and people are too impatient) to be corrected by a computer. There is a very sophisticated system in place that tries to match people as closely as possible among the available players. Sometimes there just aren't enough available players or not enough grandmasters to match all the grandmasters. I have noticed that if it takes a very long time to match then I usually get a lower level opponent. This tells me that the system waited for a set amount of time until is started reducing the requirements for matching me. The reason KI probably did this is because people were screaming that it was taking "Forever" to get matched.
The Bottom Line for me is this; I believe that the matching system they have in place now is about as good as it is going to get. No, you can not know who you are getting matched with before you go in. Yes, you have to wait for a match to be made if there aren't any suitable opponents at the time. Yes, there are going to be wins and losses specifically because the matching system put two opponents together that were too dissimilar.

Ok, you win! lol. Thats all true though. Plus at least you get three tickets even if you lose a match. And you never know if you can really beat a grandmaster or not! :D

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
I think they did quick join becouse people might decide to pick opponites they know they can beat,and with quick join thats not a problem. :-)

Survivor
Jun 24, 2008
i would like to see it like the free duels as you can what level you want to fight
or on your team now keep in mind that wont mean you would get to fight a low level cause they would have the right to choice what level they wanted to fight
so say a level 10 wanted to fight from 5 to 20 and a level 50 wanted to fight
10 to 20 they would not get paired to fight each other cause the level 10 does
not want to fight someone that high
also i do do not see what is wrong to see everyones level in level picked matches only that if they have new spell or not for high ranked

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
Zigmon wrote:
...or pick friends and try to circumvent the system in some way.

Absolutely correct. Example: players who create characters whose sole purpose is to lose to friends or even other characters owned by the same person in order to gain easy wins. Random match-ups are the only way to ensure things are fair in ranked dueling.