Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Take accountability...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
Too many suffer from the notion that they should be warlords within the hour- complaints about treasure cards, heals, shields and more...have become excessive.

This post is to enlighten- for as you see...shields are not (as you may think) the so called "stalling". Nor, would healing be deemed as such (or any other set of maneuvers put in play to prevent the opponent from winning).

The more accurate assumption- perhaps, may be noted as the opponents foresight in not allowing (you) the opposing player...of walking all over (him/her)...with little preparation on (your) part.

Cosmic law does not dictate or demand- that (you), as a pvp player...have the right to total victory whenever you wish. Take (your) actions in consideration- play (your) template to the best of (your) ability...and please refrain from calling foul if and when you suffer defeat.

Treasure cards are an incredible tool- a tool, in fact...that everyone can use. I could post a dozen quotes from players complaining about healing causing them to run out of cards...yet, these same players (by choice) failed to bring reshuffle treasure cards to the match. Also, by choice...the option of training the reshuffle card is also presented. As a player- take accountability...you had not been prepared for anything more than a "quick match".

Unfortunately, there seems a never ending supply of dissatisfied individuals...trying to blame game mechanics for (ranked) pvp matches. Keep in mind- as you stumble up within the ranks...it is only natural that you shall be facing tougher, more prepared opponents in the arena. The sooner that you understand, realize, adapt and adopt the sort of play style that you (should)...the quicker you will find yourself enjoying a game that doesn't have near the imbalance issues of other games.

Some schools can be very tough to beat versus another school- for certain schools become extremely strong against particular schools or deck types. Not having the necessary cards to work against these opponents could prove disastrous. Invest the time and energy (reasonable- for these are ranked matches...not practice), to determine possible counters and know your own weaknesses. Players can do everything from dismissing the traps (you) set- to stealing or removing (your) wards.

1) Don't expect easy victory! (A trap, blade and a high pip attack does not guaranty you every win- if this is your only strategy...relieve yourself of it).

2) Do make it difficult for your opponent! (Steal/disarm charms, Remove/take wards, Use the cancels against elemental schools- Use the heal reducers against healers...heavy hitting schools surely hit hard! Healing schools- of course...do heal!).

*but remember*

Strategy is more than being able to do the obvious well...

...set your deck accordingly

Don't bring a deck of nine high pip attack cards- zero shields, one heal into the match...and become surprised when you do not win.

It was not the healing or shielding of your opponent- nor, a random wildbolt or treasure card.

...but (your) poor preparation and perhaps, lack of thought.

Take accountability

Survivor
Apr 02, 2009
You did a fantastic job on this! If i could rate this post, it would be 5/5 for me. (and I'm not going to forget the advice) ;) Thanks

Defender
May 28, 2009
I agree. I was appalled when I saw two different posts (one at this site and another at Wizard101Central) saying that treasure cards made with Keen Eyes and Tough were not going to be tradable anymore. This is going to make treasure cards either extremely expensive or extremely difficult to get a hold of. Treasure cards are an extremely valuable asset in the arena. They can be game winning or game loosing decisions. Do I waste all my pips to throw this spell or do I pick something in my same school? Do use this trick up my sleeve or do I wait? I have been both destroyed in battle and been victorious in battle against people who seemed to "Over Use" treasure cards but I have not once complained about being beaten. Strategy always draws out the victorious. If I can't win I just re-evaluate my strategy and that is exactly what everyone else should be doing. Next time do that instead of coming here to these forums and whine to KI about how outrageous and ridiculous and overused the treasure cards are in the arena. KI is a great company who listens to their customers. I thank them for that, but we can't please all the people all the time. Nothing that can be done in PvP is cheating! Just accept the rules of the game and do your best. If you loose don't get mad about it.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2009
Well put Tourne.

Another good thing for all PvP'ers to remember is that this is just a Preview Season. Thus, player rankings really have very little meaning other then giving you an idea of how you will do when an actual PvP Tournament Season starts. You should be glad for every stronger opponent and difficult obstacle you face now, as a means to get better.

Thus, as much as I "hate" the wild blow spamming diviner paired with a storm shield removing healer, at least now they're giving me the opportunity to hopefully figure out how to beat them without totally wrecking my deck for everything else before it matters. Because if I don't figure it out now, they will be ruining my chances of doing well in the first Tournament Season.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
Thank you guys for the positive comments (fd491, Zigmon and Inspired).

Zigmon- I too, find some discouragement with the future of the "enhanced" cards going down wind...in favor of the tradeskilled cards. Not that I so much mind the idea...it's just that I really never intended to craft when I started playing the game. I doubt that the implementation of such will make or break me though- which, is the whole point while gaming...evolving with the game (and enjoying doing so).

Explorer
Apr 02, 2009
Good posts you guys.

I play PVP sometimes. I play for fun. Sure I would like it to Warlord, but who doesnt? But I dont mind lossing either. It just makes me work harder. I just get annoyed when people complain that I am cheating and stuff like that.

I dont play much on my new characters because I got tired of people begging me to let them win. And then they get mad when I beat them.

Also I think its funny in PVP when the other team doesnt use group chat and tells us word for word what they are doing and they get mad when we counter them! Learn to use group chat or be quiet if you dont want to be countered.

My storm girl totally bits in PVP by her self. But I play in a group with friends and we are a hard team to beat. Even if we lose the other team has to work for it. I am Strom and my second school is Life so I am the back up healer sometimes if our main healer goes down. But we do PVP for fun and we dont mind lossing specially against really good teams. (which is hard to find. So many complainers and so many sore lossers and sore winners).

A lot of people need to learn to be good players win or lose.

Explorer
May 22, 2008
Defender
Oct 03, 2008
I wish a lot more people would take that advice; the arena would be a much happier. I think the seemingly large number of players with pvp gear is what leads them to complain about strategies in the arena; They somehow get it into their heads that the gear should be easy to get since so many people have already, and they fail to understand how hard those people had to work for that "awesome" gear.

To all those complainers; the high rankers have faced the same situations you have, and yet they've managed to overcome those obstacles. If you want the cool arena stuff, you need to learn how to do the same, because there is always a way. ALWAYS

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Explorer
May 09, 2009
Thanks, Tourne.

I should be doing alot less complaining about PVP now ;)

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
So you think everyone has the money to get the reshuffle card for EVERY time they duel? Every day I do about 15-25 duels, I'm not paying for that many reshuffle cards.

Its not like when we verse a balance student that we can take away every shield that they put up. I actually kind of wonder how much you duel. You must be brave to put this up here and I would say you are just another person that seems to win a lot.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
Inspired wrote:

Thus, as much as I "hate" the wild blow spamming diviner paired with a storm shield removing healer, at least now they're giving me the opportunity to hopefully figure out how to beat them without totally wrecking my deck for everything else before it matters. Because if I don't figure it out now, they will be ruining my chances of doing well in the first Tournament Season.

You missed something here. It wasnt the diviner's (Storm wizards) spamming wildbolts, all schools are doing it and yes including the LIFE wizard as per your example. I am ok with Storm Wizards spamming wildbolts, its the other schools am not ok with.

Defender
May 29, 2009

If you're reshuffling that much, you should take a good hard look at your deck strategy. Either that or use one training point and go train the Reshuffle spell from Mildred Farseer.

Don't have enough gold? There's a solution for that. Go earn it. Do quests, fight bosses and sell the drops. Heck, if you don't want to do that, buy crowns and use that to buy gold. There's a solution to every problem. But not every solution will be handed to you on a silver platter.

And btw, it's not a matter of how much Tourne or I or any of the other posters duel, it's how well we duel (win or lose).

Tristan Moonweaver
Grandmaster Pyromancer

TKDECH wrote:
So you think everyone has the money to get the reshuffle card for EVERY time they duel? Every day I do about 15-25 duels, I'm not paying for that many reshuffle cards.

Its not like when we verse a balance student that we can take away every shield that they put up. I actually kind of wonder how much you duel. You must be brave to put this up here and I would say you are just another person that seems to win a lot.