Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I am 40 and cant stop playing this game

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
I am a 40 year old hard core gamer, I have over 2 years of game time in World of Warcraft. I have played the Lord of the Rings MMO, Star Wars Galaxies and Everquest II and when I first saw Wizard 101; I dimissed right away as a "kids" game.

Then my best freid called up and said he was playing a new game and it was way to fun and when he said it was Wizard 101, I said your kidding!

So he talked me into trying it and I cant stop playing it.

I just dont get it.

Anyway, this game is too much fun, I am really looking forward to seeing all the worlds and making killer magic decks.

Survivor
Mar 10, 2009
Welome to the club my friend :-) I am also a 40 year old who's 10 year old son got me into this game about 6 months ago and 3 GrandMasters in Life, Death and Fire and now a level 40 Sorcerer later i am still as hooked as the day i started. It is a very challenging and very fun and strategic game as well as being tremendously addictive. Let's quest together sometime!

Connor LegendWeaver
Lvl 40 Sorcerer

Survivor
Oct 23, 2008
i feel your pain lol i am 46 and cant stop playing niether lol i have 2 grandmasters already and working on a third !!

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
Yet another one pushing 40! Never did get into the online games till now. I was real big on final fantasy and pen and paper style D&D, so yeah I have a little background too. For that matter my wife also plays! But it wasn't our kids who got us started, we actually got them started and they are 18+!!
Wizard101, not just for kids!

Survivor
Jun 05, 2008
Welcome Scorpiuscat! It’s great to have you in the community and to see you garnering so much enjoyment in Wizard101. Your response is not uncommon :D

Survivor
Apr 21, 2009
I have to agree. I'm almost 40 myself, and can't get enough of this game .

I've played many MMOs, Ultima, Everquest, SWG, WOW, and more.

When I first saw this game, i kind of blew it off, as designed for kids. My younger brother was persistent though, and i finally tried it. I mean it is free to try, and I figured if it was lame I'd just stop playing.

Well let me tell you, I was WRONG, this game rocks. I keeps me interested , and entertained enough, that now I'm even a subscriber.

KI, you did a good thing with this game. It's a game that an old hardcore gamer can play with their kids, nieces & nephews, and still be entertained.

Scorpiuscat wrote:
I am a 40 year old hard core gamer, I have over 2 years of game time in World of Warcraft. I have played the Lord of the Rings MMO, Star Wars Galaxies and Everquest II and when I first saw Wizard 101; I dimissed right away as a "kids" game.

Then my best freid called up and said he was playing a new game and it was way to fun and when he said it was Wizard 101, I said your kidding!

So he talked me into trying it and I cant stop playing it.

I just dont get it.

Anyway, this game is too much fun, I am really looking forward to seeing all the worlds and making killer magic decks.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
I know, this game is totally addictive! Being a 10 year old tomboy, you're 30 years older than me, so that just proves that W101 is a totally awesome game for any age!

~Scarlet Moonblade~
Level 30 Magus Thaumaturge

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
As it says on the website you can play this game if your 6 or 106. :p

I thought the same thing at first, but I started playing and it's a fun game.

Survivor
May 12, 2009
LOL 40? why yer still a pup, I'm 50 an play every day as much as I can, I have a blast, even when I get frustrated by it! I'm sure you will get there to.
Welcome, and have fun with this "kids" game. Cuz I sure do!

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Me too. There are things about Wizard 101 that make it fun, compared to other games like LORTO or EQ2:

1. The turn-based, card-game combat system. Genius! Simple enough for kids to play, yet surprisingly complex.
2. I can log on and play solo for a short time and still accomplish something.
3. My kids can play it, too.
4. The economy is stable.

Also, advancement is relatively quick, there is no camping or kill-stealing, and the subscription fee is somewhat less than traditional MMO's. I love the dueling arena.

The downsides are minor, compared to the two advantages- there's minimal customization and there's not much to explore. Some of the pathing in Marleybone can be annoying.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
I am 30 years old and have grown up with video games starting with the Atari 2600.
MY experience with mmo’s started with WOW when it launched, and I played it until last year.
I got bored with wow so I started mmo hopping; I played everything from WAR, Conan, LOTRO, EQ, EQ2, and more lol.
Until, I discovered this gem of a game called Wizard 101!
I haven’t been this hooked on a mmo since wow first came out. I even have my wife playing, and she’s hooked too.

Keep adding quality content updates and this game could go far!

Defender
May 15, 2009
Sweet! 38 here and I still have my Atari 2600. Warlords is a nice diversion from consecutive Spades games.

W101 is a nice diversion from the other MMOs (EQ2, WoW, Guild Wars here). My wife plays all these too.

Don't be mistaken: Thirty-somethings (more toward upper-30's by now) are the largest gaming demographic. (We did grow up with the stuff.)

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
airmaster315 wrote:
Everybody is talking about "Atari 2600". What is that?

The Atari 2600 was a game system that you hook up to your TV. You could say that it is very similar to the Nintendo Wii, Sony Playstation 3 or XBox 360's of today, only it was a cartridge based game system (instead of the CD/DVDs that game systems today use). It was popular back in the early days of personal computers, and competed with other cartridge gaming systems (the Magnavox Odyssey 2, the Intellivision, the ColecoVision, (pre Nintendo and Sony)

On the main topic, my wife and I just recently joined Wizard101 and are leveling our first characters. We are both over 35. It is nice to see that there is a community of both younger and older players.

Happy questing!

Galen FireGarden

Defender
May 15, 2009
airmaster315 wrote:

Gaming console that came out in 1977...one of the first, but definitely the first popular one that catalyzed the home gaming industry.

Nintendo is not "old school". :?

Defender
May 29, 2009

you know, that game system that competed with coleco vision. lol

airmaster315 wrote:

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
Ditto!

I'm almost at the XL mark myself and my daughter and I have a blast with W101. We just started teaching her little brother how to play, who knows maybe we'll get mom to play to.

Considering the kind of weather we have been having in the N.East its been a fun rainy day activity!

Games have come a long way since my days of being a "Pit Fall" expert on my Atari!

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
lol...you are not alone.My eleven year old daughter and I love playing.I wish we could play together though,but we end up on different servers.What a shame!

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
I'll be 22 at the end of August & love this game.
I made a friend join & she's in her 30s.

LOL @ the Atari being mentioned.. My mom had one when she was a kid.
But, Nintendo is "old school" for ME.. LOL.
Well, the NES came out before I was born, but the SNES came out when I was 2 or 3 I think.
My mom bought me one when they first came.. I kept ahold of it until I was 16 & ended up selling it because I couldn't find any games anywhere..
A month later, they start popping up in the game stores.

But, now that I have a Wii, I can finally play my old time favorite games!

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
In the same boat, 40 and can't stop playing the game. I sit at work thinking about it and can't wait to get home to play it. I'm already thinking about my next character after I finish the game through one time.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Jul/27/2009 08:42:53 am Subject: Re:I am 40 and cant stop playing this game

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol...you are not alone.My eleven year old daughter and I love playing.I wish we could play together though,but we end up on different servers.What a shame!

Actually in your questbook, under options there is a way to designate which server you'd like to be one and thus your daughter could move to that server as well. Then the two of you meet up in a common area like wizard city commons by the big lake in the middle and you'll be playing together. I'm 27 and my boyfriend travels a lot so he and I use this method to keep playing together while we're in different states. It's nice because KI has a cool thing where even after you log off you're still put into the last server you chose so when the two of you log in to play again you'll both already be on the same server!
Check it out! Good luck!
:) :D

Explorer
May 22, 2008
carol604 wrote:

It's very easy to get to the same server as eachother. If you are friends in the game, just simply click "Go To Location" while selecting your daughter on your friends list. You will be transported to her location in the same realm(server) as her.

If you're not friends, open up your wizard book, then go to options, then click on the realms tab, and join the same realm!

Happy dueling!

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
oh stop it with the "I have played games a long time" line.

MY FIRST GAME WAS PONG! LOL

That was two lines and a square that mimicked tennis. How's that for old?

But I have a love hate relationship with this game. I love the game hate that I am well beyond all the worlds and have come to a halt!

I look forward to the next world in fact I look forward to the next two or three.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
38 year old here. I have been playing online games for about 10 years now (starting with Everquest). During a battleground in WoW, one of the guys started spamming about wizard 101 and I decided to check it out. Well, it has since taken over as my primary game and I am loving it. I never imagined getting addicted to it but I am. Keep up the great work KI and when it comes to expansion time, make it count!