Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

First week of play and...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
Alright. This is the end of my first week of playing the game.

First of all, I have to say OVERALL I really enjoy playing. I do have some issues which I will address, but as it stands, overall I enjoy most of the game.

One of the glaring issues (for me) is the difficulty of the mobs. Through most of Wizard City I am fighting DUELS'. One on one is great. You get to take your turn, the mob takes its turn, maybe you fizzle, maybe not. Towards the end, before you get to Colossus BLVD (CB) it does get a little bit easy. Once you make it to CB it stops being duels and becomes something entirely different. Suddenly you are facing mobs with twice the health as the mobs previous to them. Ok fine, that isn't a problem. But lets go into a typical battle shall we?

Round 1. Oh looks like you go second. You get a few wand cards, a shield and a 2 pip monster. You choose life shield cause that's what the mobs say they are.

Mob goes first...casts....fizzles. Cool, your turn. You cast shield.

Round 2. You have a life shield up remember. The mobs turn...it casts a electric bats card...boom. Oh, here comes another mob.

For this round you've chosen an attack. You cast....hit. mob 1 is almost dead. Cool.

Round 3. You don't get any attack cards (it happens and I understand that, Ive played MTG and Pokemon back in the day) so you choose shield life, again, since both mobs have a green leaf next to their names. The mobs both pass.

Round 4. Wand, or ghoul to finish off that mob...wand, Ill save up the pip and wand is 100% accuracy. But the mobs go first. First mob casts fire cat, hit, second mob fizzles. Your turn, wand, hits the "life mob" and kills it.

Round 5. Mob two casts fire bird thing. BANG. almost dead. You have a couple pips so you cast heal on yourself. now you have no pips again.

Round 6. Mob fizzles, You wand to save up another pip.

Round 7. Mob casts lightening bat things again, and bang...another hit. Ow. You cast something and kill it off.

That is just an example of an easier fight starting on CB. No the attacks aren't exactly accurate, but you get the point. Add to that the resists, fizzles (which after the maintenance the other night seems to be a lot better), and the 2 on 1...now add in the harder mobs in the zone, the ones with over 300 hp.

It goes from fun to work in about 1 minute. 1 on 1 is a duel. 2 on 1 isn't. I personally don't believe it should take 5+ rounds to kill two mobs that have 150ish health on a now normal basis. (providing minimal fizz rate and cards actually coming up when you need them). That is the possibility of 10 incoming attacks vs your 5 (if you go with 1 pip cards and i don't). Am I doing something wrong? I believe it should stay 1 vs 1 but increase the health of the mobs significantly. That would keep it a duel.

Now I'd like to bring up the classes of the mobs.

Most mobs I've come across don't stick anywhere near what I've come to know as schools of magic. An undead mob, skeleton, with life school....that casts fire and storm? Ok...which one should I try to shield against? The undead I know it is? The Life school that is next to its name? Or guess at what it might want to cast at me and go against what it seems SHOULD be one or two attack styles.

Typically from what I've seen the mobs don't attack with what their school is. Its usually something totally different, and It's usually every mob in the pack that comes along. Once in a while I'll see the occasional leprechaun being cast from an undead, which I find funny but reasonable. My main gripe with that is not ever knowing what ANY of the mobs are going to use. It seems they can cast from all schools of magic at any given time, no matter what the symbol next to their name is. One example would be the undead mobs in Krokatopia(spelling). They are undead, with Death School symbol...toss up a shield against death, they suddenly use fire. Ok, toss up fire shield all the sudden its lightening bats...uhh...ok. I have to be missing something.

Don't go alone! That is something I dislike. Almost being forced to group up to kill normal run of the mill mobs. Bosses and instances I am good with that, it makes sense. Again, to reiterate, questing I don't feel we should almost HAVE to group up. Massively multiplayer means that, many multiple people playing. It doesn't mean I HAVE to play with others. It means there are others playing and I can group up if I wish. Simple solution, don't make me fight two mobs at a time. Have me fight just 1 but make the mobs hit points a bit higher. It will take a while to kill the mob still, but I wont have to buff myself, debuff the mob, then kill one so I'm not taking as much pain, just to buff myself, and debuff all over again to kill the second.

Another thing that I've found is the quests don't fit together well. They have you kill X mobs, then move to the next area, which has you go back and kill X more of the first mobs. Then you get to kill some new mobs and move to the next area, which has you go all the way back and kill the first mobs yet AGAIN, along with the second mobs and some new ones. Why can't they just give me all the quests at the same time for the same mobs so I'm not spending 3 hours just running back and forth to the quest givers which are always on the OTHER side of the map from the mobs it seems.

Lastly, people jumping in on your fight. UGH! This to me, is almost, almost, almost ALWAYS a disadvantage. Depending on the mobs I am fighting, I can sometimes BARELY squeak out a win on 2 mobs, but if I am dying, and someone else joins in...it brings another mob...great...now I have to worry about 3 instead of 2. Do the people help? Hardly ever. They sit there for 30 seconds and still don't choose a card to play. Meanwhile you are now faced with 3 mobs to kill, 1 supposed partner for the fight who is either afk, or doesn't know how to click on ANYTHING that's on their screen, and an almost depleted health bubble. BUT there are nice people out there, and sometimes they do help out with a heal or two as soon as they can (Thank you people who do that, it helps a lot!)

That's about it for dislikes. I just wish some things would change...drop it to 1 mob per person just like the beginning of the game but make them with MORE hp...give us the option of not allowing people to jump in on our fights...its supposed to be a duel after all. Make the quests that are in the same area able to be completed together instead of running all the way back to kill them again when you're done with the area already.

I do pay for the game, and will continue to do so until the aggravation gets to be too much. I do like the game, and would like to see how far they can bring this. Card games have always been one of my favorite types of games and being online and able to use an avatar is pretty fun. I think they did a darn good job making Wizard 101, even for us older folks.

I welcome any constructive criticism. Positive or negative. If there is something I can change to make it easier for myself for the future of this game, please let me know.

Like i said it is my first week, i have 4 characters all in Krokotopia at the moment, and am getting frustrated more than I am having fun. If it gets harder from here...oh boy.

Defender
Mar 01, 2009
csmeat wrote:
Alright. This is the end of my first week of playing the game.

First of all, I have to say OVERALL I really enjoy playing. I do have some issues which I will address, but as it stands, overall I enjoy most of the game.

One of the glaring issues (for me) is the difficulty of the mobs. Through most of Wizard City I am fighting DUELS'. One on one is great. You get to take your turn, the mob takes its turn, maybe you fizzle, maybe not. Towards the end, before you get to Colossus BLVD (CB) it does get a little bit easy. Once you make it to CB it stops being duels and becomes something entirely different. Suddenly you are facing mobs with twice the health as the mobs previous to them. Ok fine, that isn't a problem. But lets go into a typical battle shall we?

Round 1. Oh looks like you go second. You get a few wand cards, a shield and a 2 pip monster. You choose life shield cause that's what the mobs say they are.

Round 2. You have a life shield up remember. The mobs turn...it casts a electric bats card...boom. Oh, here comes another mob.

For this round you've chosen an attack. You cast....hit. mob 1 is almost dead. Cool.

Round 3. You don't get any attack cards (it happens and I understand that, Ive played MTG and Pokemon back in the day) so you choose shield life, again, since both mobs have a green leaf next to their names. The mobs both pass.

Round 4. Wand, or ghoul to finish off that mob...wand, Ill save up the pip and wand is 100% accuracy. But the mobs go first. First mob casts fire cat, hit, second mob fizzles. Your turn, wand, hits the "life mob" and kills it.

Round 5. Mob two casts fire bird thing. BANG. almost dead. You have a couple pips so you cast heal on yourself. now you have no pips again.

Round 7. Mob casts lightening bat things again, and bang...another hit. Ow. You cast something and kill it off.

That is just an example of an easier fight starting on CB. No the attacks aren't exactly accurate, but you get the point. Add to that the resists, fizzles (which after the maintenance the other night seems to be a lot better), and the 2 on 1...now add in the harder mobs in the zone, the ones with over 300 hp.

It goes from fun to work in about 1 minute. 1 on 1 is a duel. 2 on 1 isn't. I personally don't believe it should take 5+ rounds to kill two mobs that have 150ish health on a now normal basis. (providing minimal fizz rate and cards actually coming up when you need them). That is the possibility of 10 incoming attacks vs your 5 (if you go with 1 pip cards and i don't). Am I doing something wrong? I believe it should stay 1 vs 1 but increase the health of the mobs significantly. That would keep it a duel.

Now I'd like to bring up the classes of the mobs.

Most mobs I've come across don't stick anywhere near what I've come to know as schools of magic. An undead mob, skeleton, with life school....that casts fire and storm? Ok...which one should I try to shield against? The undead I know it is? The Life school that is next to its name? Or guess at what it might want to cast at me and go against what it seems SHOULD be one or two attack styles.

Typically from what I've seen the mobs don't attack with what their school is. Its usually something totally different, and It's usually every mob in the pack that comes along. Once in a while I'll see the occasional leprechaun being cast from an undead, which I find funny but reasonable. My main gripe with that is not ever knowing what ANY of the mobs are going to use. It seems they can cast from all schools of magic at any given time, no matter what the symbol next to their name is. One example would be the undead mobs in Krokatopia(spelling). They are undead, with Death School symbol...toss up a shield against death, they suddenly use fire. Ok, toss up fire shield all the sudden its lightening bats...uhh...ok. I have to be missing something.

Don't go alone! That is something I dislike. Almost being forced to group up to kill normal run of the mill mobs. Bosses and instances I am good with that, it makes sense. Again, to reiterate, questing I don't feel we should almost HAVE to group up. Massively multiplayer means that, many multiple people playing. It doesn't mean I HAVE to play with others. It means there are others playing and I can group up if I wish. Simple solution, don't make me fight two mobs at a time. Have me fight just 1 but make the mobs hit points a bit higher. It will take a while to kill the mob still, but I wont have to buff myself, debuff the mob, then kill one so I'm not taking as much pain, just to buff myself, and debuff all over again to kill the second.

Another thing that I've found is the quests don't fit together well. They have you kill X mobs, then move to the next area, which has you go back and kill X more of the first mobs. Then you get to kill some new mobs and move to the next area, which has you go all the way back and kill the first mobs yet AGAIN, along with the second mobs and some new ones. Why can't they just give me all the quests at the same time for the same mobs so I'm not spending 3 hours just running back and forth to the quest givers which are always on the OTHER side of the map from the mobs it seems.

Lastly, people jumping in on your fight. UGH! This to me, is almost, almost, almost ALWAYS a disadvantage. Depending on the mobs I am fighting, I can sometimes BARELY squeak out a win on 2 mobs, but if I am dying, and someone else joins in...it brings another mob...great...now I have to worry about 3 instead of 2. Do the people help? Hardly ever. They sit there for 30 seconds and still don't choose a card to play. Meanwhile you are now faced with 3 mobs to kill, 1 supposed partner for the fight who is either afk, or doesn't know how to click on ANYTHING that's on their screen, and an almost depleted health bubble. BUT there are nice people out there, and sometimes they do help out with a heal or two as soon as they can (Thank you people who do that, it helps a lot!)

That's about it for dislikes. I just wish some things would change...drop it to 1 mob per person just like the beginning of the game but make them with MORE hp...give us the option of not allowing people to jump in on our fights...its supposed to be a duel after all. Make the quests that are in the same area able to be completed together instead of running all the way back to kill them again when you're done with the area already.

I do pay for the game, and will continue to do so until the aggravation gets to be too much. I do like the game, and would like to see how far they can bring this. Card games have always been one of my favorite types of games and being online and able to use an avatar is pretty fun. I think they did a darn good job making Wizard 101, even for us older folks.

I welcome any constructive criticism. Positive or negative. If there is something I can change to make it easier for myself for the future of this game, please let me know.

Like i said it is my first week, i have 4 characters all in Krokotopia at the moment, and am getting frustrated more than I am having fun. If it gets harder from here...oh boy.

well if you think you have it tough in cb and in krokotopia then imagine how hard it is in dragonspyre monster with over a thousand health two vs one as well as the bosses haveing three thousand health or higher

Explorer
May 09, 2009
csmeat wrote:

Well do you want to just 1 hit KO enemies throughout the game? That would be too easy and nobody would have fun. the 2v1 aspect is to make the game challenging. The whole point of 1v1 in the begining is to take baby steps then 2v1 to get you prepared for the next five worlds (which are hard).

csmeat wrote:

Yeah this is kinda out of the ordinary but don't we do the opposite of our schools too? I mean someone could be Life and Death but only have Life spells, or vice versa.

csmeat wrote:

Well Myth scholars can solo very well. If you don't already have one try making one. Also having a "buddy" around the same level and with the same tasks helps especially for dungeons amd bosses. Its like climbing a wall together; if one falls you pick him back up.

csmeat wrote:

Well then it wouldn't be a challenge. Plus you should strategize your tasks in order. Like I have two Chelsea Court tasks for Gearheads (that I never seem to finish). I didn't get them at the same time nor did I expect to get 2 tasks to kill Gearheads.

csmeat wrote:

Try going to a quiet server. This way people are very sparse throughout the spiral and you have a less chance of have some random person jump in your battle and leave. This does get aggrivating but KI can't control the actions of other people.

Good luck in Marelybone!

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
I like when people only half read what i say :)

I gave suggestions as well as my gripes. But thank you for your input. It is received and noted.

Survivor
Jul 15, 2009
I was going to quote this wall o text for a second..

I've played since friday although i'm somewhat a pro mmorpg my experiance has been the opposite of yours.

Build a better deck.
Learn to Draw.
Stack HP for leveling.

I gotta head the waterpark, but basically try again.

Brian StormBringer.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
I've been playing MMOs for a very long time as well (somewhere around 9 years) I think my problem is my main character is Balance, and he just doesn't put out the firepower that the other classes do. I have 5 characters all in Krokotopia at the moment, and none of the rest of them seem to have as much trouble as the Balance wizard.

The balance wiz seems to be good in groups, but trying to solo just is more irritating than not. Maybe when he gets Judgement spell or something, that will change it.

Defender
May 15, 2009
I infer you play Life school; battles will take longer since your damage output is lower (as it should be) for the high healing trade-off.

Use Life Trap rather than just wands. On that note, don't use a wand that deals Life damage (you don't want to use your trap on such low damage).

If you want faster, one-shots, make a Storm character and, yes, it is solo-able.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
Thanks Rolo I think Ill give him a go for a while. I did actually like him more than the rest of my characters. I figured the Balance was fun too but when he didn't get any stronger attacks for a while...but the mobs did, it kind of made it more aggravating.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I'm a death wizard and so far I've soloed basically the entire game. I've had help when I had to get like 12 spider kills just to make it go faster but other than that if you use a strategy you don't really need the other players until Maelstaire (impossible to solo, can't even get into his dungeon without 2 other players.) although I guess some schools are more difficult to do this with than others. I guess my point is Death is really easy to solo with if that is what you are looking for.

Just wait til you get to DS and you have to do a tower. Five different floors, each with 2 monsters with 1300 xp and a boss on the last level, usually with at least 3000 xp (along with his 1300xp little minion or minionS). No way to heal or get mana in between without using potions. Oh yeah, and if you die, you have to start all over at the bottom

P.S. probably the longest post I've ever seen

Sestiva Stormfist - Grandmaster Necromancer

Defender
May 30, 2009
I have a few things to say about your post. First, if the game was set up to only 1v1 battles, then you would be finished with each quest in no time. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, what would be the fun of it? I mean, I play on here for hours at a time and not only enjoy the company but also the challanges. I would not want to pay for a game where I just breeze through each world in an hour or two and then be done with it. Yes I have died MULTIPLE times and yes I kept comming back for more, but that's what's great about it. You learn from your mistakes. Make changes to your deck. Put some different clothing on and go back for more.

Second, as far as the creatures casting different school spells, you can get a wand in the beginning that has several different school spells with it. You use this till you decide on a better wand and then you change. I am a Grand Master Conjurer that has spells from four different schools and gladly use them all. If you are unsure about what deffenses to put up, then maybe you need to try to find clothing that will give you the resistance you need against different schools.

Third, on the topic of teaming up with other players. With my myth character I was able to get through the game to MooShu before I really had to team up. Yes there were many instanaces where I had to call for help and it was greatly appreciated. But I think multi-player games are social gatherings as well. I have made many friends on here that I don't believe I could have gotten where I am now if it weren't for them. We talk about our lives, our children, and our problems. If I wanted to play a game where I was solo the entire time I think I would go back to playing my XBox.

Lastly, about people jumping into your battles. Unfortunately there are some rude players that jump in at any given time. And even worse are the ones that teleport to you, see that you are in a big battle, bring in yet ANOTHER creature, and then leave. The teleporting thing can be controlled by turning the ability to teleport off but nothing can be done for those who just jump in without asking. I have two suggestions. One being what another person posted and go to a realm that is perfect, where there are less people and you are less likely to have a jumper. The other is if you have someone jump in, tell them it was rude and they should ask first. Maybe they think it's ok because noone has said anything to them. I always ask before jumping in and hope someone would give me the same courtesy.

I truly am addicted to this game and love that so many "older" kids are too. Like I said before, many friends have been made and many things have been accomplished. I just hope your travels into the spiral get better as you go. Things will deffinately get harder.

Happy Wizarding!

Angela Spiritwalker
Grand Master Conjurer

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
CB is not hard (no offense) in DragonSpyre mobs have over 1000 health and bosses depending on the boss is 3,000-8,000hp

i know i am in DS

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
No offense taken. It's not "hard" it's just a big jump from all the previous experience. It is much more annoying than it has to be.

I think the major problem at the levels my characters are at is the lack of power pips vs fighting two mobs at once.

The spell damage isn't there for me to quickly wipe any of the mobs out, while they both take turns pounding my characters. As i approached the end of Krokotopia I was getting more power pips which helped quite a bit. I needed to get the stronger cards out faster in order to take less damage by killing off one mob quickly.

In Krok towards the end I was facing mobs with near or over 400 health each. My largest attack was locust swarm. 3 pips. around 300 damage with the balance blade. Without power pips it would take over 6 rounds just to damage both enough to finish them off with either a wand, or a rank 1 spell.

But the power pips helped as long as i didn't get them when i was in need of healing, then they would be wasted on a heal instead of an attack card.