Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why does KI hate solo players??

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 23, 2008
It's late at night and I just wasted my entire evening trying to get past ONE MISSION. Time after time, I slog my way through multiple levels of the dungeon, only to be worn down and killed just shy of completion.

I like to solo. Yes, I know it's an "MMO", and frankly SO WHAT? I also drive a pick-up truck, and guess what -- I don't always pick stuff up with it. I happen to like kicking back after dinner time for a little harmless recreation in the Spiral. And more often than not, I'm running solo, which gives me much more flexibility. Is that so wrong?

So I'm given the task of hiding a key in the upper level of a tower. Oh joy -- yet another level-after-level-after-monotonous-level of enemies I have to get through. And all of this is actually feasible until I got to the fourth floor, where they hit me with THREE 1000+ enemies.

So why does KI design the game to FORCE teaming? If the battle is designed to throw 3 enemies at a team, is it really appropriate to throw the same 3 enemies at the solo player?? Would it really hurt KI's reputation on the playground if they would just scale it down so that a single player has a fighting chance? Is it going to totally destroy the integrity of the game if I'm not being hit for 300-600 damage per round? Other MMOs seem to be able to handle this simple concept, so it must actually be possible.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
What I find interesting is that, it appears, most of the solo players are the adults relaxing after a long day, and most of the group players have kids in them.

I know it is a generalization, but, if it holds true, then those of us paying for the game are getting killed for soloing.

Not sure of a good fix however, ubnless there was a global "Help Wanted" board.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Agreed. I solo. Period. There "is" such a thing as PVE (player vs Environment). All my requests are off (such as friend), my chat ballons are off, and I rarely if ever, speak. If the friend request wasn't off, I'd be declining friend requests at the speed of 20, or more, per hour, and watching chat ballons with nonee, nonee, booboo cover the screen endlessly. I like the game, have played every MMO out there, and prefer to play on my own agenda. My goal is not to have social events, but to enjoy the game challenges. Challenge being the operative word, not slaughter. I play to get a "break" from the kids, not to start an online romper room. Give us adults a break and give us a fighting chance. Remember, "We" are the ones with the money. And ditto, I don't always cruise in my Cruiser.

Defender
Dec 23, 2008
Angry letter. My apologies.

However, still a valid point: Battles -- at least the ramped up ones -- need to be able to scale down a notch or two for solo players. Perhaps, as happens in many battles, place extra enemies nearby so that when somebody ports in, they can join the battle. But it's unrealistic to expect a single character to take on challenges meant for teams.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
Hi KiansDad,
I to am an OLD adult :-) and have currently 2 grandmasters, on in fire, one death, and have been able to solo everything up till Dragonspyre. I try to solo everything before I ask for help, and have been able to finish things after my first or second failure by re-adjusting my deck. Krynos (sp?) in DS was a tough one for me in DS, but on the third attempt kicked his tail. I was so pleased with myself! I know its tough, I have twin seven year old kids who are currently at level 48 with a balance wizard. Even though I am online also, they have made it this far with MINIMAL help from me. It CAN be done, you may just need to rethink your strategies.
Tip:
Get yourself a friend, a good friend, and help them when you can, because you'll need them when you get to Malistare. You'll need at least three people to take on Malistare.

If you want, let me know and we'll meet up somewhere, I'll give you a hand. I peruse Collusus Blvd many nights trying to help out new players who may be overwhelmed with multiple bad guys, and have made several lasting friendships this way.

Rogan EarthHammer - Fire grandmaster
Blake EarthHammer - Death grandmaster
Cody FireHammer - Balance level 48

Let me know in here, and I'll be happy to help you SMASH bad guys along the Spiral!

Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
KiansDad wrote:
It's late at night and I just wasted my entire evening trying to get past ONE MISSION. Time after time, I slog my way through multiple levels of the dungeon, only to be worn down and killed just shy of completion.

I like to solo. Yes, I know it's an "MMO", and frankly SO WHAT? I also drive a pick-up truck, and guess what -- I don't always pick stuff up with it. I happen to like kicking back after dinner time for a little harmless recreation in the Spiral. And more often than not, I'm running solo, which gives me much more flexibility. Is that so wrong?

So I'm given the task of hiding a key in the upper level of a tower. Oh joy -- yet another level-after-level-after-monotonous-level of enemies I have to get through. And all of this is actually feasible until I got to the fourth floor, where they hit me with THREE 1000+ enemies.

So why does KI design the game to FORCE teaming? If the battle is designed to throw 3 enemies at a team, is it really appropriate to throw the same 3 enemies at the solo player?? Would it really hurt KI's reputation on the playground if they would just scale it down so that a single player has a fighting chance? Is it going to totally destroy the integrity of the game if I'm not being hit for 300-600 damage per round? Other MMOs seem to be able to handle this simple concept, so it must actually be possible.

I also play solo and just completed the same mission. Not sure what type wizard you have, but I didn't have any problems. With the right preparation you shouldn't be forced into teaming a mission.

Thanks, Kieran
Master Theurgist

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
Baker1384 wrote:
What I find interesting is that, it appears, most of the solo players are the adults relaxing after a long day, and most of the group players have kids in them.

I know it is a generalization, but, if it holds true, then those of us paying for the game are getting killed for soloing.

Not sure of a good fix however, ubnless there was a global "Help Wanted" board.

Same here. But I didn't have any problems with soloing until DS because the Storm Minion was just perfect. Not anymore. KI has effectively RUINED the Storm Minion and it is now a waste of space in my deck. It's mass "taunts every foe" strategy with the stupidly low hp gets it killed in 2-3 turns.

Defender
Mar 01, 2009
i dont solo very often but when i try to in grizzleheim i end up dying (yes i am pitiful) i died twice in this one place in vigrid roughlandand a left frostholm cause i had to fight three guys with only five hundred health left cause i only had one potion