Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death or Life Mage?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 08, 2020
I am not looking for the best option as a secondary, I am just asking if I should be

A) A Death Mage with Life as Secondary

or

B) A Life Mage with Death as Secondary

I am NOT Looking for the "better secondary" I just want to know which one I should choose. Thanks! :)

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
Well Death can heal itself, so you really do not need to have Life as secondary. But it is nice for a Life Wiz to have Death as secondary so they may gain The Feint Spell. Which is very useful. Good Luck!

Scarlet ShadowStone

Survivor
Jun 03, 2015
Power pips make having a secondary school pretty much useless you won't be using any other spells that don't belong to your school and are over 4 pips, you should use your training points to get the most usefull out of all the schools, example: balance blades feint from death tower shield from ice other shields from other schools that are low cost both training points wise and pip wise, some train up to satyr on life(I don't find that a good choice but you can get it I guess).

Now~ As to answer your question if you want to still choose a secondary despite all that then I don't see why would a death wizard need life as secondary, only real use would be in team plays where you'd take the role of a life wizard instead of hitter/supporter and heal the party. And I see almost no point in training any skill on death as a life wizard you already heal like a truck and death is all abut average damage to self heal. So TL:DR death with life as secondary because you may need to play as a life wizard in late game.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2020
i wouldn't even call either of them secondary much, training into life is pointless without a life mastery though. (even then, you can always just use tcs lol)
training death into feint is perfectly fine especially since in later worlds you pretty much need feint to be able to eclipse into boss health in a short amount of time

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
As someone who is probably a perpetual re-roller - the real question you should ask yourself is which one of these two options am I not going to get bored with? I've played both a life and a death, many, many times, and my current little one is a death (again). Having played every school, I can honestly say each of them have advantages and disadvantages, but one thing strikes out to me from your original question -

Death doesn't need a life secondary.

Once you have Sacrifice, life is unnecessary if the only reason you're going through it is to get spells to heal you. You need Tower Shield more. A Tower Shield plus a Death Shield cast on yourself, when you go to Sacrifice is nothing short of bliss.

Ultimately if you want my recommendation, I would say Death (I find I get bored on Life without Life's new all attack spell, which my Life currently has), but I wouldn't get Life as a secondary. It really is far better to pick and choose which spells your character needs rather than to just stick to one school as a secondary.

Survivor
May 08, 2020
hopefulz33 on May 19, 2020 wrote:
Well Death can heal itself, so you really do not need to have Life as secondary. But it is nice for a Life Wiz to have Death as secondary so they may gain The Feint Spell. Which is very useful. Good Luck!

Scarlet ShadowStone
Thanks bruv, exactly what I was looking for :D

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
My main is Life with Death trained up to Feint, and it works really well for me. Only problem with Life is farming; it's the absolute worst school for farming since the only AOE spells (that you don't have to buy) are Forest Lord (which is 8 pips), Leafstorm (which is 4 pips, but a pet spell, so you can't enhance it), or Wings of Fate (which is 6 pips, plus a shadow pip). Personally I just ended up farming Gladiator for an exalted Death amulet and crafted Deer Knight, so I use that for farming nowadays. It works fine, but it sure would be nice to have a decent AOE in my own school lol

So, long story short: if farming is going to be a big deal for you, go for Death, but, as others have said, don't bother with Life as secondary since Death spells do plenty of healing on their own. If you don't mind the issues with farming, go for Life and train Death up to Feint.