Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Grizzleheim Lore Pack -- Some prespective after opening 375 packs

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 23, 2018
When I saw the new grizzleheim spell awhile back, I really wanted it for my life character.

I spent money on the packs over and over, thinking to myself "this time I will get it", like trying to win something from a slot machine.

I have bought about 375 packs in total trying to learn the life spell. Out of these 375 packs, I have gotten:
Around 150 items for their sets
Around 100 pets
Around 100 - 200 snacks -- 27 megas, and a lot of fortified bread and cheese (can be used for the new snack recipe
Around 250 housing items
Around 150 treasure cards, where about 50 of which were lore cards (18 of ratatoskr's spin)
0 lore spells learned

To give some perspective: 375 packs costs a little under 150k crowns, which will cost you almost $200 if you were to spend full price on the highest bulk. That is a lot more than I would think I would ever spend on this game, and for what? Nothing at all to show for it. After $200, I can now craft a few mega snacks, and I have enough of the tcs to craft the life spell if it were to ever become craftable.

Use this info the next time you try to open one of their packs to get a spell as ask yourself "Is it worth it?"
Also, please do not harass me about how much I spent. If I could take it all back, I would in a heartbeat.

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
WoW just WoW

This just confirms To me that I did the right thing by deciding not to buy packs any more. The only time I buy anything in crown shop is if something is on sale....for the most part. I only buy crowns if they ever come on sale...then I will stock up since crowns only rarely come on sale anymore.

This also confirms the most terrible Drop Rate KI has devised. Especially for that particular pack it seems. Anytime I ever opened that pack, I never got anything of real use.

My advice ..... If you feel like trying for a pack "Spell" for your wizard in a pack....wait until they have Pack Palooza. (that is if KI is still going to have that event. Anything they do anymore does not surprise.) If crowns happen to go on sale....stock up and wait. My wizards did get most of the spells they needed this way. But for these new Grizzle Spells...the drop rate is making that pack not worth it at all.

I'm glad you checked in with us about this. Check in more often.

Scarlet ShadowStone

Survivor
Jan 14, 2014
I learned this lesson years ago, however, I didn't nearly spend that kind of cash. Back in the day it seemed KI was more generous with gear, spell drops in the packs.

I don't think drop rates plummeted, I think with packs and bosses they added tons of reagents, treasure cards, housing items, etc to 'water down' the drops for meaningful gear.

KI will defend that the drop rates haven't changed, it would be nice to see them admit there are hundreds of useless items thrown into the pot as a possible drop or pack purchase to keep you spending money.

Sadly you fell for it as I kinda did then caught myself.

Just look online at the drops for some of the gold key bosses, it's a joke.

The Empyrea Titan boss is a prime example of going through a nightmare time consuming boss then receiving mistwood or a cupcake.

For now my future with W101 is in limbo with the this issue and the bigger issue of the disgraceful UI "downdates"