Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why do people false report??

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 28, 2017
Honestly, you would think that people would read the Terms of Use and figure out that falsely reporting people will land them in trouble with the Hall Monitors, but it seems half the people who play Wizard101 today just can't get a clue. Many a time my friends will be standing around in the Commons, casually chatting with each other, when out of nowhere, BAM! One or both of them get reported for no reason, prompting them both to break out into laughing fits before "POLITELY" reminding everybody that false reports can result in sanctions against the person who issued the report, including a ban from the game.

Seriously, do people just skip the ToU when making their accounts and just report anyone who looks at them funny? If 2 people are just having a nice, friendly conversation in the Commons, no swearing, no harassment, just one complaining about something and the other agreeing with them, you DON'T hit the Report button! All that's going to do is get YOU in trouble! Just use the Block button if you don't want to listen to them, or change realms or something! DUH!!

People, please. Prospector Zeke was very, VERY clear when he made [THIS MESSAGE BOARD POST] back in 2010 talking about false reporting. Just because it's 10 years old doesn't mean it's lost any of it's meaning. Re-read it and take that information to heart. False reporting isn't cool; Especially if it costs you your entire account after you've sent in your 9001st false report in a row!

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Everytime when someone gets reported, Kingsisle looks at it carefully to see what was said. If you violated the rules, the report will go through. What did you all say that made the report go through?

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Jessica U on Mar 27, 2020 wrote:
Honestly, you would think that people would read the Terms of Use and figure out that falsely reporting people will land them in trouble with the Hall Monitors, but it seems half the people who play Wizard101 today just can't get a clue. Many a time my friends will be standing around in the Commons, casually chatting with each other, when out of nowhere, BAM! One or both of them get reported for no reason, prompting them both to break out into laughing fits before "POLITELY" reminding everybody that false reports can result in sanctions against the person who issued the report, including a ban from the game.

Seriously, do people just skip the ToU when making their accounts and just report anyone who looks at them funny? If 2 people are just having a nice, friendly conversation in the Commons, no swearing, no harassment, just one complaining about something and the other agreeing with them, you DON'T hit the Report button! All that's going to do is get YOU in trouble! Just use the Block button if you don't want to listen to them, or change realms or something! DUH!!

People, please. Prospector Zeke was very, VERY clear when he made [THIS MESSAGE BOARD POST] back in 2010 talking about false reporting. Just because it's 10 years old doesn't mean it's lost any of it's meaning. Re-read it and take that information to heart. False reporting isn't cool; Especially if it costs you your entire account after you've sent in your 9001st false report in a row!
OK, I understand that it is very annoying to get those reports; but, if it's truly a false report then why get so upset about it? You won't be sanctioned and the false reporter ( if they do this too much ) is the one who will get in trouble.
And it's not that they're ignorant about reporting, they doing it to be trolls, to upset you ( and it worked ).

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Standing, talking in The Commons seems to be an almost sure fire way to get reported, whether falsely or not.

While this is sad, it is the unfortunate reality.

That post probably should be updated with stricter sanctions for those guilty of the offense.

An impromptu message should also come up warning players for false reporting whenever a report is submitted alongside possible punishments if that report was indeed false.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
To say it short, the list in Code of Conduct on the message board is also for the game. You violate it, it's reportable. getting around the filter from words in red to change to white does not make it ok. It's still not aloud making it reportable. However there are trolls. I suggest contact Customer Suppot to look at the conversation again and KI will get back to you.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Mar 27, 2020 wrote:
Everytime when someone gets reported, Kingsisle looks at it carefully to see what was said. If you violated the rules, the report will go through. What did you all say that made the report go through?
The report goes through regardless; there's no way to stop a report - it's the response ( or not ) from KI that is important.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
False report is a form of trolling or griefing.
Trolling or griefing is an anti social behavior. People commit anti social behaviors for any number of reasons including inner turmoil, resentment, anger, angst, or lack of empathy or boredom. Or all of those reasons at once.

Not long after I began playing Wiz 101, I was literally parked behind a building in the Commons, not typing at all. I was looking through the shop. Someone reported me.

I contacted support to explain just in case. It made me nervous. That is the aim of the griefer: grief, chaos, angst. They explained 'don't worry some people misuse the report button.'
If you are nervous about it, contract support and explain it was a false report.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
anecorbie on Mar 27, 2020 wrote:
OK, I understand that it is very annoying to get those reports; but, if it's truly a false report then why get so upset about it? You won't be sanctioned and the false reporter ( if they do this too much ) is the one who will get in trouble.
And it's not that they're ignorant about reporting, they doing it to be trolls, to upset you ( and it worked ).
Occasionally someone (on the message boards) describes being false reported, and getting in trouble anyway. Maybe in some cases some things could be misconstrued, or people fear the report won't be examined as closely as necessary.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
anecorbie on Mar 30, 2020 wrote:
The report goes through regardless; there's no way to stop a report - it's the response ( or not ) from KI that is important.
Yes it does but doesn't it go to Mr. Lincon first to be read to see how bad it is before he sends it the one who got reported?

Explorer
May 06, 2013
Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
I have gotten the "you have been reported" notice a few times since the 1st Age.

As I recall, it is always in the Arena, because someone is mad that I won a match and the person doing the reporting has sometimes just been cursing up a blue streak.

I do find it annoying when people go out of their way to circumvent the chat censor to use vulgar language and kind of funny when they make a report.

People who make false reports are reporting themselves!