Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

General Suggestions 3/26/20

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 20, 2011
Hello!

My name is Elise, and I’ve been a Wizard101 player for about ten years. I recently started playing again due to the stay-at-home order in my state, and I was reminded of my only problem with the game: unabashed want for money, often at the expense of the gaming experience. I understand that it takes money to keep a game running, especially for as long as Wizard101 has been, but the pushing for crown and membership purchases make players feel like our enjoyment isn’t a priority.
Again, I understand that all games need to generate revenue, but in my experience, players feel a lot more willing to spend money on a game when we feel like the developers care- and with the current global situation, there couldn’t be a better time to show it. Players could be given occasional gifts (maybe some crowns, card packs, etc) simply for playing the game. For example, in a mobile game that I play, the developers made a free Care Package bundle available to all players, which included unlimited energy for seven days and 1000 gold (the equivalent to crowns). World of Warcraft did something similar- they applied a double XP perk to all players so that new and returning players could level up characters while they are stuck at home.
Additionally, crowns should be made more accessible. The “Earn Crowns” feature is a great idea, but 10 crowns per video is too little (for reference, the cheapest things in the crown shop are about 200 crowns). Even with a membership, many of the in-game features still require spending real money on crowns- boss treasure chests, training point reassignment, energy refills, for example.
I love Wizard101, but feeling like I have to be constantly putting money into the game is what stopped me from playing as a kid, and it’s what discourages me from playing now. Even occasional gifts for players, rewards for members, and perks would make all the difference.

Thank you for reading!

Defender
May 11, 2013
felizelise on Mar 26, 2020 wrote:
Hello!

My name is Elise, and I’ve been a Wizard101 player for about ten years. I recently started playing again due to the stay-at-home order in my state, and I was reminded of my only problem with the game: unabashed want for money, often at the expense of the gaming experience. I understand that it takes money to keep a game running, especially for as long as Wizard101 has been, but the pushing for crown and membership purchases make players feel like our enjoyment isn’t a priority.
Again, I understand that all games need to generate revenue, but in my experience, players feel a lot more willing to spend money on a game when we feel like the developers care- and with the current global situation, there couldn’t be a better time to show it. Players could be given occasional gifts (maybe some crowns, card packs, etc) simply for playing the game. For example, in a mobile game that I play, the developers made a free Care Package bundle available to all players, which included unlimited energy for seven days and 1000 gold (the equivalent to crowns). World of Warcraft did something similar- they applied a double XP perk to all players so that new and returning players could level up characters while they are stuck at home.
Additionally, crowns should be made more accessible. The “Earn Crowns” feature is a great idea, but 10 crowns per video is too little (for reference, the cheapest things in the crown shop are about 200 crowns). Even with a membership, many of the in-game features still require spending real money on crowns- boss treasure chests, training point reassignment, energy refills, for example.
I love Wizard101, but feeling like I have to be constantly putting money into the game is what stopped me from playing as a kid, and it’s what discourages me from playing now. Even occasional gifts for players, rewards for members, and perks would make all the difference.

Thank you for reading!
How have you been "playing for 10 years" if you quit as a kid and only just came back. Nearly EVERY online game, MOBILE included has a cash shop, you don't NEED anything in the crown shop to play the game, you just WANT it to make life easier and faster.

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
They do have the special events for all wizards (Gamma button in the upper right of your screen). Members get benefits that enhance play. The spiral showcase is an easy way to earn a free professor hoard pack. The scroll of fortune is a three month umbrella bundle that players have an option to buy. The scroll has free benefits as well. It is completely voluntary and based upon effort.

The daily activities NPC in Ravenwood gives players missions to complete for crowns, tickets, gold or mystery items. Members also get access to the entire spiral. There is a lot to do in the game for $5 per month for six wizards per account.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2011
RedDragon877 on Mar 27, 2020 wrote:
How have you been "playing for 10 years" if you quit as a kid and only just came back. Nearly EVERY online game, MOBILE included has a cash shop, you don't NEED anything in the crown shop to play the game, you just WANT it to make life easier and faster.
No need for the attitude. If you read my post, you'd notice that I emphasized that I understand that they need to make money. I noticed that in many other games, there are occasional gifts offered to players, which increases engagement and profit in the long run.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2011
Bucisfav on Mar 31, 2020 wrote:
They do have the special events for all wizards (Gamma button in the upper right of your screen). Members get benefits that enhance play. The spiral showcase is an easy way to earn a free professor hoard pack. The scroll of fortune is a three month umbrella bundle that players have an option to buy. The scroll has free benefits as well. It is completely voluntary and based upon effort.

The daily activities NPC in Ravenwood gives players missions to complete for crowns, tickets, gold or mystery items. Members also get access to the entire spiral. There is a lot to do in the game for $5 per month for six wizards per account.
The game has definitely gotten a lot more accessible recently, but there is still so much that is inaccessible to non-members. Even the Ravenwood NPC gives quests that need membership or crowns payment to complete.