Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lvl 15 dungeon in old town

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 13, 2008
I believe that the dungeon near the bazaar that drops a wooden key everytime is bugged i was just farming for some just yesterday to save some up and farm the catch of the day spell on my new storm at some point

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
iouman2013 on Dec 11, 2019 wrote:
I believe that the dungeon near the bazaar that drops a wooden key everytime is bugged i was just farming for some just yesterday to save some up and farm the catch of the day spell on my new storm at some point

As of a recent patch, finishing the dungeon no longer gives you a Wooden Skeleton Key. You'll still get one for finishing the quest involving it, though!

Survivor
Oct 25, 2017

I and a lot of people have experienced the same problem countless of times

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012

The wooden key was a quest reward, giving that key every time you finished was a bug that has now been fixed.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Wow yikes.. so basically forget the community on having a good fair spot for farming keys...

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
iouman2013 on Dec 12, 2019 wrote:
Wow yikes.. so basically forget the community on having a good fair spot for farming keys...
Skeleton Keys are supposed to be hard to get. However, If you want lots of Skeleton Keys, farm Krampus! He drops lots of them!

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Lookit Light on Dec 13, 2019 wrote:
Skeleton Keys are supposed to be hard to get. However, If you want lots of Skeleton Keys, farm Krampus! He drops lots of them!
You do realize krampus is not only a just a seasonal boss but also has bad drop rates right? I seriously hope you do.. secondly theres no reason theyre shouldnt be a spot to farm them most wooden key bosses dont give anything overly broken its the gold key ones that do stone is debatable since its mostly mounts ie ixcax the keys would have been waaay better off being craftable like jewels but a tad bit harder idk why this is even a debate on why its a good thing its not farmable when it was fine in the first place if keys shouldnt be easy to get in the first place they may as well just take away the 2 free mega snacks you get at the end of mirror lake..

Survivor
Jun 24, 2011
I have farmed for wooden keys for so long, trying to get catch of the day. I have tried to fish up keys, farm up keys, I did every single quest imaginable to get wooden keys. On all seven of my characters I utilize the quest reward keys from Klortho for use on Roberto to try to farm catch of the day. I have farmed every wooden key boss there is with multiple characters to try to get more keys, farmed every drop source there is that didn't require a key to get in, and best case scenario was to farm jade oni with a friend to get wooden keys. I found that I could one shot the jade oni with a friend using a trap if I used catalan.

Despite that, at best we got one wooden key every 45 minutes. This was between the two of us. I don't think it would have been much better with four, it's still a ridiculously low drop rate.

Upon hearing that the olde town dungeon dropped keys, I thought that my prayers have been answered - that Kingsisle had actually realized that keys don't need to be that rare, because there are just so many bosses that require keys to farm... most of which take hundreds of keys, if not more, to get the drop that you are after. I have probably farmed Aphrodite in Darkmoor five hundred times or more in an attempt to get sacred charge to no avail. As I speak, I'm farming Aphrodite. You essentially have to farm two separate bosses to get one item - one of which is almost always going to be so difficult that you will need a friend or three.

It just isn't right to have skeleton keys be this hard to get, if you're just going to keep making new bosses. It'd be worth it if it even took 500 golden pearls to craft a gold key, 500 fossils to craft a stone key, and 500 acorns to craft a wooden key; they are in that much of a demand for things like this.

I don't want to get too carried away, but they really, really, really, really need to revert this change or find another route to make keys more realistic to obtain. I totally understand making them hard to get, but this is just needlessly grindy, annoying, and unfair in its current state.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Brahm Cracker on Dec 15, 2019 wrote:
I have farmed for wooden keys for so long, trying to get catch of the day. I have tried to fish up keys, farm up keys, I did every single quest imaginable to get wooden keys. On all seven of my characters I utilize the quest reward keys from Klortho for use on Roberto to try to farm catch of the day. I have farmed every wooden key boss there is with multiple characters to try to get more keys, farmed every drop source there is that didn't require a key to get in, and best case scenario was to farm jade oni with a friend to get wooden keys. I found that I could one shot the jade oni with a friend using a trap if I used catalan.

Despite that, at best we got one wooden key every 45 minutes. This was between the two of us. I don't think it would have been much better with four, it's still a ridiculously low drop rate.

Upon hearing that the olde town dungeon dropped keys, I thought that my prayers have been answered - that Kingsisle had actually realized that keys don't need to be that rare, because there are just so many bosses that require keys to farm... most of which take hundreds of keys, if not more, to get the drop that you are after. I have probably farmed Aphrodite in Darkmoor five hundred times or more in an attempt to get sacred charge to no avail. As I speak, I'm farming Aphrodite. You essentially have to farm two separate bosses to get one item - one of which is almost always going to be so difficult that you will need a friend or three.

It just isn't right to have skeleton keys be this hard to get, if you're just going to keep making new bosses. It'd be worth it if it even took 500 golden pearls to craft a gold key, 500 fossils to craft a stone key, and 500 acorns to craft a wooden key; they are in that much of a demand for things like this.

I don't want to get too carried away, but they really, really, really, really need to revert this change or find another route to make keys more realistic to obtain. I totally understand making them hard to get, but this is just needlessly grindy, annoying, and unfair in its current state.
I know of three possible fights that are known as places to get Wood Keys.

1: Oakheart. This treant in Mooshu is the simplest farming method to get Wooden Keys. I'm not pretending the drop rate is very good, but the fight is simple and short, so you can farm him a lot in short amounts of time.

2: Tsutui & Master Tonkatsu: Their dungeons is a bit on the long side, but the chances of getting a Woof key are far more consistent. I remember doing him only six times and getting at least two keys.

3:Krampus. I know he's only seasonal, but the drop rate is very impressive. You can get SO MANY KEYS.

I think General Akilles can also drop keys? I'm not sure how often, though.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2011
I would like to reiterate that I have done every single possible drop source for wooden keys. This includes Krampus, Master Tonkatsu, Oakheart, War Oni, Death Oni, General Akilles, Lord Nightshade, Chief Whip, Captain Hockins, Aethyr Elemental, Prince Gobblestone, Jade Oni, Takanobu, Spirit of Ignorance... I can go on until I throw out every single drop on the wiki.

I don't know how you got this many keys, but in every single instance, at best I have gotten a wooden key every 30 minutes.

Every single instance. All of them. I understand you're trying to help suggest wooden key drops, and I'm sure at least someone on this forum will appreciate this - but in my opinion it's useless to try at this point. The olde town dungeon was exactly what I needed, it's what a lot of people in my situation needed. It lowered the time down to 10 to 15 minutes per key, and you would know your time wouldn't be wasted at the end of the day. I would know, I've wasted hundreds, possibly thousands of hours trying.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Brahm Cracker on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
I would like to reiterate that I have done every single possible drop source for wooden keys. This includes Krampus, Master Tonkatsu, Oakheart, War Oni, Death Oni, General Akilles, Lord Nightshade, Chief Whip, Captain Hockins, Aethyr Elemental, Prince Gobblestone, Jade Oni, Takanobu, Spirit of Ignorance... I can go on until I throw out every single drop on the wiki.

I don't know how you got this many keys, but in every single instance, at best I have gotten a wooden key every 30 minutes.

Every single instance. All of them. I understand you're trying to help suggest wooden key drops, and I'm sure at least someone on this forum will appreciate this - but in my opinion it's useless to try at this point. The olde town dungeon was exactly what I needed, it's what a lot of people in my situation needed. It lowered the time down to 10 to 15 minutes per key, and you would know your time wouldn't be wasted at the end of the day. I would know, I've wasted hundreds, possibly thousands of hours trying.
I pity you, but getting a Wooden Key every single time is still a bit much. Hmm... Maybe they could make a Wooden Skeleton Key a possible drop from The Boss or the Treeminder Ghost? That seems reasonable enough. You still get a chance at a key, but it isn't an absurd gurantee.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Lookit Light on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
I pity you, but getting a Wooden Key every single time is still a bit much. Hmm... Maybe they could make a Wooden Skeleton Key a possible drop from The Boss or the Treeminder Ghost? That seems reasonable enough. You still get a chance at a key, but it isn't an absurd gurantee.
if the drop rate was the same as flying squid ink yea that may not be bad but its still lame that it was deemed "a bug" when it wasnt it was just deemed "too broken" idk how in the world one thinks that it being given every go is broken its not its really not..