Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Allow Plants to Advance to Next Stage Without Owner's Presence

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
Plants should be able to advance automatically from Seedling, to Young, to Mature, and to Elder without the need for owners to stop by.

I have noticed that plants will not move to the next stage until owners check their gardens. This is inconvenient because when plants remain stuck at any stage, it takes even longer for owners to harvest them.

Another issue involves 48-hour spells like Solar Flares, Monsoon, Bee Hive, Growzone Layer, Wind Chimes, and Strawman. Although growths have been stunted for plants, timers on these 48-hour spells continue to count down. Should owners return 48 hours later with every plant still at Mature, then they must spend energy (in addition to the energy already spent casting the 48-hour spells) to remove needs that would not have been present had the plants been able to advance to the next stage automatically.

I have mentioned only two justifications for making this change, but please note that they are not all-inclusive.

*** I would also like to suggest a customization feature for 48-hour spell animations. Currently, the system inconsistently defaults to the animation of the first 48-hour spell cast, but since I tend to use three or four 48-hour spells on a group of plants and find the "Growzone Layer" animation visually pleasing, I would like the option to choose "Growzone Layer" as the default animation to play over those plants.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
I'm a maxed level gardener, and I have never experienced what you have explained.

With max likes for the plants, the growth speed to get to elder has increased by 100%. So, in 2 to 3 days, they will be elder.

Most times, I usually to cast my 48 hr spells once for each group of plants (I don't wait until a plant has a need). I don't check them usually about 2 days later. By then, they are either elder or about to change to elder. With your complaints, it is possible that you simply appeared just before the growth/change of the plants from one age to the next.

I have seen the animations change from one to the other (not including the casts). I would prefer to pick the animation that I like best and stick with it because it is difficult to tell what needs are each plant plant is depending on what animation is playing (I sometimes need to recast for a need).

Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
Rainco on Nov 21, 2019 wrote:
I'm a maxed level gardener, and I have never experienced what you have explained.

With max likes for the plants, the growth speed to get to elder has increased by 100%. So, in 2 to 3 days, they will be elder.

Most times, I usually to cast my 48 hr spells once for each group of plants (I don't wait until a plant has a need). I don't check them usually about 2 days later. By then, they are either elder or about to change to elder. With your complaints, it is possible that you simply appeared just before the growth/change of the plants from one age to the next.

I have seen the animations change from one to the other (not including the casts). I would prefer to pick the animation that I like best and stick with it because it is difficult to tell what needs are each plant plant is depending on what animation is playing (I sometimes need to recast for a need).
Rainco, it seems as if you may not have noticed it. I suggest reading Victoria Fireheart's posts in the following threads to better understand this issue:

www.wizard101.com/forum/gardening/plant-growth-while-offline-8ad6a42462d7cf7501631257e5442a7b

www.wizard101.com/forum/gardening/how-long-can-i-neglect-my-plants-8ad6a42b69ec9743016a0faf98472029

"When we visit our plants, we trigger the plant to the next stage...They do not trigger if we don't visit them."

"Remember that the trigger time to the next stage only starts when you visit them and trigger it; they will not progress further than one stage no matter how long you leave them."

"Each stage indicates an essential 'trigger time'. You 'trigger' your plants when you visit them. If you plant your seeds and do not return for a long time, they will still only trigger to 'young' when you visit. These triggers must be done by you visiting your plants."

"Whatever stage your plants were at when you left them, they will change visually and start their next stage when you visit the garden....no matter how long you leave them."

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Yapaholic on Nov 20, 2019 wrote:
Plants should be able to advance automatically from Seedling, to Young, to Mature, and to Elder without the need for owners to stop by.

I have noticed that plants will not move to the next stage until owners check their gardens. This is inconvenient because when plants remain stuck at any stage, it takes even longer for owners to harvest them.

Another issue involves 48-hour spells like Solar Flares, Monsoon, Bee Hive, Growzone Layer, Wind Chimes, and Strawman. Although growths have been stunted for plants, timers on these 48-hour spells continue to count down. Should owners return 48 hours later with every plant still at Mature, then they must spend energy (in addition to the energy already spent casting the 48-hour spells) to remove needs that would not have been present had the plants been able to advance to the next stage automatically.

I have mentioned only two justifications for making this change, but please note that they are not all-inclusive.

*** I would also like to suggest a customization feature for 48-hour spell animations. Currently, the system inconsistently defaults to the animation of the first 48-hour spell cast, but since I tend to use three or four 48-hour spells on a group of plants and find the "Growzone Layer" animation visually pleasing, I would like the option to choose "Growzone Layer" as the default animation to play over those plants.
In regards to your suggestion to customization for 48 hour garden spells: The animation is determined by what order you cast those spells in. If you want Growzone Layer to be the one you see after all are cast, then cast it last.

I have multiple gardens on each of 12 wizards amounting to at least 36+ stacked gardens with anywhere from 30 to 50 plants in each plot. I usually visit each garden once a week but have visited them even with 48 hour spells on them just to keep the time moving to the next stage.....

By the time Double rewards comes around, they will all be Elder if KI doesn't do the event back to back. But even if they do, I have plenty of Mega Snacks and TC to last a while. The only wizard I have that is not gardening is on a 3rd F2P account and she is a card holder only.

Having the plants advance without being tended actually defeats the purpose. You can't do that with a garden in real life and IMHO, I think KI took that into consideration when they introduced gardening to the game.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
DragonLady1818 on Nov 22, 2019 wrote:
In regards to your suggestion to customization for 48 hour garden spells: The animation is determined by what order you cast those spells in. If you want Growzone Layer to be the one you see after all are cast, then cast it last.

I have multiple gardens on each of 12 wizards amounting to at least 36+ stacked gardens with anywhere from 30 to 50 plants in each plot. I usually visit each garden once a week but have visited them even with 48 hour spells on them just to keep the time moving to the next stage.....

By the time Double rewards comes around, they will all be Elder if KI doesn't do the event back to back. But even if they do, I have plenty of Mega Snacks and TC to last a while. The only wizard I have that is not gardening is on a 3rd F2P account and she is a card holder only.

Having the plants advance without being tended actually defeats the purpose. You can't do that with a garden in real life and IMHO, I think KI took that into consideration when they introduced gardening to the game.
If your plants need Growzone now, it doesn't make sense to wait until every other need or pest has manifested just so you can cast Growzone last and get that animation.

Furthermore, I am not suggesting that "plants advance without being tended." Plants do not develop needs or pests as seedlings nor do they typically manifest them at Young. Those occur at Mature; thus gardeners would still need to address any needs or pests prior to their plants entering the Elder stage.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
Yapaholic on Nov 22, 2019 wrote:
Rainco, it seems as if you may not have noticed it. I suggest reading Victoria Fireheart's posts in the following threads to better understand this issue:

www.wizard101.com/forum/gardening/plant-growth-while-offline-8ad6a42462d7cf7501631257e5442a7b

www.wizard101.com/forum/gardening/how-long-can-i-neglect-my-plants-8ad6a42b69ec9743016a0faf98472029

"When we visit our plants, we trigger the plant to the next stage...They do not trigger if we don't visit them."

"Remember that the trigger time to the next stage only starts when you visit them and trigger it; they will not progress further than one stage no matter how long you leave them."

"Each stage indicates an essential 'trigger time'. You 'trigger' your plants when you visit them. If you plant your seeds and do not return for a long time, they will still only trigger to 'young' when you visit. These triggers must be done by you visiting your plants."

"Whatever stage your plants were at when you left them, they will change visually and start their next stage when you visit the garden....no matter how long you leave them."
Yapaholic, I have noticed. When I add my 48 hr. spells, I leave for about the same time span, sometimes more, and the plants are usually elder. This has happened every time the 48 hr. spells as far as I can remember. Everything and others have said has never happened to me.

There are a couple of variables to consider with your argument. One is, is it possible that the changes just so happens to occur after you show up with no bearing if you were there or not? It has no bearing for me. So, why would our experiences be different? I have also done the 48 hr. spells and not visited my garden for more than a week and all of my plants were elders when I went to check on them. I sometimes have been gone for months.

The second is, are the plants growing at 100% speed nearly the whole time? If not, do they have all of their likes, and/or have no needs? This will make a difference in how soon they change from one age to the next.

Unless there is an official statement coming form KI, everything presented is based on personal observation. My observations have yielded different results from yours.

I have read the comments you linked me to, and I have yielded different results. For example, Victoria Fireheart suggests not to log out from my garden area before leaving my house. I have logged out from my garden area to come back to find all of my plants to be elders. None of my plants have ever gotten needs when doing so.

Going back to the garden everyday will yield different results than going back every 2 or 3 days minimum. Plants do not stop growing and aging because we are no there based on my observation. Unless something more concrete is provided, I have no reason to ignore my results.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
As Dragonlady pointed out, if you don't log in and attend the plants.....then it really isn't a side activity. Without requiring the current two minimum "tending" sessions, all you theoretically would need to do is just plant and then harvest after the required time.