Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mana Burn is Broken

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
Mana burn is too powerful since it does damage and takes away 6 pips for only 5 pips. How is that fair at all? That means a balance can literally spam that until the person dies.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Snow7450 on Oct 25, 2019 wrote:
Mana burn is too powerful since it does damage and takes away 6 pips for only 5 pips. How is that fair at all? That means a balance can literally spam that until the person dies.
Mana Burn costs five pips to cast and only takes three pips from the wizard it is cast on.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
Liam Swiftwalker on Oct 26, 2019 wrote:
Mana Burn costs five pips to cast and only takes three pips from the wizard it is cast on.
Yes it takes 3 POWER PIPS. That is 6 pips.

Survivor
May 30, 2014
Snow7450 on Oct 28, 2019 wrote:
Yes it takes 3 POWER PIPS. That is 6 pips.
I agree with you 100%

This might be a shock to you when you see the name on message board.

I don't know why anyone would use Mana burn awhile going second at all.

Always be family friendly

Survivor
Dec 29, 2018
Spam mana burn until other one is defeated?
"Spam" a 5 pip spell highly unlikely

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
Oreo920a on Nov 4, 2019 wrote:
Spam mana burn until other one is defeated?
"Spam" a 5 pip spell highly unlikely
They can use it over and over is that better little Oreo? The opponent will have negative pips since they can’t build enough to keep up if they lose 6 pips and the spell only cost 5.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Sonnds like another spell that shouldn't be in PVP. Instead of nerf, nerf, nerf on every spell players don't like in PVP, why not make it eaiser and make more certain spells no- PVP.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 5, 2019 wrote:
Sonnds like another spell that shouldn't be in PVP. Instead of nerf, nerf, nerf on every spell players don't like in PVP, why not make it eaiser and make more certain spells no- PVP.
I think with Lore getting the nerf hammer, Mana Burn should stay. Maybe lower the damage or remove it entirely, but the mechanic should still be there as to not completely throw Balance under the bus.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 5, 2019 wrote:
I think that is just needs to do what the card actually says and is that take 3 pips away not 6.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
Snow7450 on Nov 6, 2019 wrote:
I think that is just needs to do what the card actually says and is that take 3 pips away not 6.
The spell literally says "lose 3 pips," not 3 white pips and not 3 gold/yellow pips. A gold pip is still a single pip with the value of 2 white pips. Even though it holds the same value, it doesn't mean that it is 2 pips. A player can hold a total of 7 pips, either white or gold, but he/she can hold a total value of 14 pips. Value is much different than the actual number.

The card does exactly what it says it does. It only recognizes pips, not white and gold pips. I agree with others saying that mana burn needs to be left alone.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
Rainco on Nov 7, 2019 wrote:
The spell literally says "lose 3 pips," not 3 white pips and not 3 gold/yellow pips. A gold pip is still a single pip with the value of 2 white pips. Even though it holds the same value, it doesn't mean that it is 2 pips. A player can hold a total of 7 pips, either white or gold, but he/she can hold a total value of 14 pips. Value is much different than the actual number.

The card does exactly what it says it does. It only recognizes pips, not white and gold pips. I agree with others saying that mana burn needs to be left alone.
A gold is 2 pips. 3 gold is 6 pips so the spell is a lie.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019

The spell says lose 3 pips not 6 pips

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011

I agree. Mana burn is something I tend to use once in a duel, and almost never from second.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019

How come it take all the pips for damage then? 14 x 80 and not 80 x 7 if I had full pips. This spell is not working right.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
Snow7450 on Nov 11, 2019 wrote:
How come it take all the pips for damage then? 14 x 80 and not 80 x 7 if I had full pips. This spell is not working right.
It all depends how things are defined, not how we think they should be defined. The damage dealt is based on per pip. In other words, it deals damage per pip value, not the literal count, while the pip removal is about the literal quantity of pips. There is nothing confusing to me about the spell.

The exact wording of the spell should be recognized. This is what the spell says (will be adding emphasis): Target takes 80 damage "per pip" and loses "3 pips". Do you see the difference of the wording? One part uses "per" while the other doesn't. This is telling us that the meanings are different. If it means to lose 3 white pips, then it needs to say exactly that.

Also, Mana Burn is nearly useless from second in both pvp and pve. That is a major weakness with the spell. Nerfing it will make it useless from first and second. What is the point of having the spell if it only removes the value of 3 white pips? I carry it in the hopes to use it from first only because it has failed me far too many times from second.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
Rainco on Nov 12, 2019 wrote:
It all depends how things are defined, not how we think they should be defined. The damage dealt is based on per pip. In other words, it deals damage per pip value, not the literal count, while the pip removal is about the literal quantity of pips. There is nothing confusing to me about the spell.

The exact wording of the spell should be recognized. This is what the spell says (will be adding emphasis): Target takes 80 damage "per pip" and loses "3 pips". Do you see the difference of the wording? One part uses "per" while the other doesn't. This is telling us that the meanings are different. If it means to lose 3 white pips, then it needs to say exactly that.

Also, Mana Burn is nearly useless from second in both pvp and pve. That is a major weakness with the spell. Nerfing it will make it useless from first and second. What is the point of having the spell if it only removes the value of 3 white pips? I carry it in the hopes to use it from first only because it has failed me far too many times from second.
That doesn't matter what it says. You said a pip is just a pip and not worth 2, so now you are just saying stuff that doesn't make sense and being a liar. It is not nearly useless from second at all. It makes it incredibly hard to combo when I'm in shrike and a cheating balance wizard with ward justs takes 6 of my pips and makes me lose health for only 5 pips. And then they use it again the next round and I have no pips because of cheating spells like that.

Defender
Jun 14, 2017
Rainco on Nov 12, 2019 wrote:

Hi Samantha Max

I wouldn't use it to honestly less the pigs wasn't 5 pips if it was 4 pips like loremaster i would consider it but using mana that cost 5 pips is way to risky to me.

Even if your first if the other player knows you are going to use mana burn they cast a attacking spell right away so it doesn't do much damage.

And I agree with Snow7450 honestly.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
Barbie934m on Nov 14, 2019 wrote:
Hi Samantha Max

I wouldn't use it to honestly less the pigs wasn't 5 pips if it was 4 pips like loremaster i would consider it but using mana that cost 5 pips is way to risky to me.

Even if your first if the other player knows you are going to use mana burn they cast a attacking spell right away so it doesn't do much damage.

I shouldn't have to waste 5 pips first turn from my tc deck just for that cheating spell. They just going to crit an availing hands and get 2000 health back.

Explorer
May 06, 2013
I think you are both right. Mana Burn takes 3 pips regardless if they are white or yellow making it 3 or 6 ( 3 yellows= 6 whites). Perhaps the machinics can't tell white from yellow as numbers? On the other hand yellow does more damge to you

Curious.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
Barbie934m on Nov 14, 2019 wrote:
Hi Samantha Max

Just because you think it is risky doesn't mean other wizards shouldn't use it. That is your personal choice not to use it.

Knowing that the other player has mana burn should suggest that you should change your playing style to fit the current battle. That is the main purpose of pvp, not to change spells to fit your playing style. When I did pvp, I have beaten many balance wizards from second. I knew what spells to expect and planned accordingly. If I and others can do this, so can other pvp players.

There are many balance wizards who use mana burn in pve. Going up against a boss with max pips, who can cast any spell, is daunting. I cast mana burn at the beginning if I am first, and now the boss has 4 power pips left. It helps to defeat cheating bosses, especially when I solo.

Changing mana burn will force balance wizards to change their play style again. It will also weaken the school. It seems like balance is getting the raw end of the deal every single time. When something good comes their way, other players complain, while having little to no issue with other schools. If KI continues to nerf balance spells, balance will be the worst school to play in all of wizard 101.

Defender
Mar 10, 2014
Balance needs mana burn. Loremaster got nerfed so hard, balance will be pushed down to the bottom of pvp if mana burn is nerfed too.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Mana Burn is a 5 pip spell and unless you have " Simplify or Elucidate", it is virtually impossible to use from First whether in PvP or PvE. ( Elucidate is a retired spell and I thought Simplify was as well but it is not showing on that list.)

Mana does 80 damage per pip (160 per power pip) and takes white pips first then will take yellow in order to work as designed. Another version does take 4 pips and still does 80 damage (160 per power pip)

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
Fred Frost on Nov 15, 2019 wrote:
Balance needs mana burn. Loremaster got nerfed so hard, balance will be pushed down to the bottom of pvp if mana burn is nerfed too.
Good it about time balance learn how to suffer.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
They should've just nerf cheating mana burn not loremaster.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2018
Nah I think Lore still ok considering now you can get Tcs Easier now
But no reason to nerf Burn mana, that really will knock us out