Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

good deckathlon setup for balance

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
another new event that's not pvp! yay!

so i got through the first 2 towers easily enough, but the third is driving me nuts, as i can't seem to get past the second battle. i've changed my setup/playstyle umpteen times, but can't for the life of me figure out what i'm supposed to do.

so far, i've tried single-hit decks, aoe decks, may-cast pets, heal decks... and don't seem to be making any headway. i've scoured the interwebz and can't find any information on this anywhere, so i'm hoping someone here can help before i go crazy.

-von

Survivor
Nov 30, 2012
Von,

Glad to see you back, I always enjoyed reading your posts which were well thought with support to back them up.

I am also having issues getting past level 3 but deckathalons are not my favorites anyway. You should have been around when they first introduced and some players were getting unbelievable points that no one else could match and reaching the end in unbelievable speed. They did make some adjustments and I am sure someone will come up with a strategy for this one. Star Edward came up with some earlier.

Stick around for the Beastmoon events. They are a really new and interesting event. Based on team play where you don't know the players on your team will be until you enter the event. It is Blue team against Red team where players take a different beast form. Lot of strategy and communication between team members and lots of fun. It is one of my favorite event to play when they put it on.

Hope I run into you some time.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
My Sideboard for T3 consisted of 3 Tower Shields, 1 Fairy, 1 Sprite, 1 Judgement, 1 Cyclops, 1 Humongofrog, 2 Mythblades and 1 Balanceblade, biggest issue is if you get hit with Weakness the run is automatically ruined, if you consider Weakness you should add in another balanceblade for fight 2 and 2 ghouls in order to finish the first and last fight. I also used deck 2 although the flat resist isn't as good with Spectral Blast, just gotta shield and hope they both dont Spectral.

1. Build your Balance deck as soon as possible. You should have Deck 2 before you attack Stage 3. But keep in mind any Deck that has the bonus starting pip will work-- I beat Stage 3 (the first time) with an Ice Deck that I already had upgrade to Deck 4.

But the Balance Deck will have Balance resist, which helps a lot, so upgrade that Deck as soon as you can. Balance runes have been dropping in ALL events since the beginning, so it should be easier to upgrade than usual.

2. What cards to take? Personally, I'd take Death spells-- the combination of damage and healing is perfect for the Deckathalon. I believe my successful deck was 4 Deathblades, 4 Vampires, a few 1 pip attacks, and the rest Tower Shield.

3. Tower Shield first turn, then get a Blade up, then hit with a Vampire as soon as you can. Finish them off with the 1 pip attack if necessary (sometimes they cast Weaken).

Just remember-- you only bring 1 Deathblade and 1 Vampire per mob! It's important that you land that combo.

Be careful card cycling! You can't afford to throw away your attacks. If you don't have a blade and a vampire in hand, just throw down another Tower Shield.

Good luck!

Survivor
Aug 24, 2013
As an avid deckathalon fan, I gave up with this deckathalon (balance). I finished Stage 4, but purely because I had 2 Steel Giant tcs. And I can't for the life of me beat it again without that tc. Interesting note, balance spells boost on balance! I did not find this out until I grinded Stage 3 trying to pass it and decided to see by how much they resisted balance, and I was completely surprised when I saw the words 'Boost'!

But this deckathalon is difficult because we can only use tower shields, which are not as protective as school specific shields, and we don't get any flat resists for their spectral blasts, so a one turn double spam is pretty much guaranteed death! I hope KI has a look into the Balance deckathalon for the future and definitely implement some changes.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Welp, gonna give those a shot~ thank you both!

I completely forgot about tower shields though, maybe because it's been so long since I've played. But I want (NEEEEEED) that adorable pet, so wish me luck!

-von

Scaric22 on Oct 17, 2019 wrote:
As an avid deckathalon fan, I gave up with this deckathalon (balance). I finished Stage 4, but purely because I had 2 Steel Giant tcs. And I can't for the life of me beat it again without that tc. Interesting note, balance spells boost on balance! I did not find this out until I grinded Stage 3 trying to pass it and decided to see by how much they resisted balance, and I was completely surprised when I saw the words 'Boost'!

But this deckathalon is difficult because we can only use tower shields, which are not as protective as school specific shields, and we don't get any flat resists for their spectral blasts, so a one turn double spam is pretty much guaranteed death! I hope KI has a look into the Balance deckathalon for the future and definitely implement some changes.
If you finish Stage 4, well done!

Grab the recipes, then drop down to an easier Stage if you just want to farm for points on Easy mode.

We do have LOTS of changes coming to the Deckathalon, by the way... Your next time through each Tower should be a very different experience!

Explorer
May 28, 2012
Follow what Ratbeard has said. But to the second level you may want to use a Humongofrog, then the one pip cards if you have the necessary health. Be sure to craft the decks at each level...this helps greatly. I know as I am doing this with level 20 wizards and non-members. Make sure you have at least two tower shields for the last battle.

Good Luck!

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
Tower 4 was a royal pain, any time I got Weakness it was basically a wasted run, two round sweeps were annoying too. I used all Death attacks and 1 Judge for the 720 Hp Bear
The most efficient way I have found so far is Myth Deck 4, Kraken T3 Fight 1 then reset the tower, its a fast fight and guaranteed kill with weakness on.

Survivor
Aug 24, 2013
Ratbeard on Oct 18, 2019 wrote:
If you finish Stage 4, well done!

Grab the recipes, then drop down to an easier Stage if you just want to farm for points on Easy mode.

We do have LOTS of changes coming to the Deckathalon, by the way... Your next time through each Tower should be a very different experience!
Thanks Ratbeard for the tip!

I am more of a reagent farmer so I can craft a set of the school's hand of fate. So I farm Stage 4 during school specific deckathalons (ice, death etc). For me, the points system is a complementary reward style. I guess similar to how Crown Rewards are intended. This time around, I found farming Stage 4 to be honestly difficult. But you say next time through each tower will be a very different experience... so exciting since we only have the Storm Deckathalon remaining before we have done all school's towers! Can't wait!!

I am in love with the new events, unlike the 5 BOXES for example where after you get everything you need, it becomes pointless. I am really looking forward to the new battlegrounds for Beastmoon and will be downloading the Test Realm server just to be able to play more of it! Again, thank you for all these new events, it makes playing Wizard101 more exciting while waiting for new worlds to be released!

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
I hope some changes are coming, I finally gave up in tower 4. The combination of me fizzling like crazy and the 2nd fight with them starting with power pips and the 1st guy using locust swarm to knock off the tower shield and the 2nd guy doing a spectral blast for ~750 storm EVERY TIME is... well... JUST FORGET IT! Maybe I've just been unlucky but I'm not going back to find out.

The pet doesn't have any new "Oh my God!" talents, just a cute look. Honestly; Big, Fat, Hairy Deal. The Hands of Fate just give you something different to stitch a decent wand to. Really? All that work for a wand with no "sparks", no damage, no critical, no pierce, no maycast, just blades that should already be in your deck.

Hopefully, some improvements are on the way.