Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

deckathalon is too extreame to give useful data

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I just quit playing a mobile game, where the whole game was nearly the deckathalon.
Anyway.
Using consumables exclusively as attacks drains an average player too quickly. The decakthalon event time really is too short.
I am going to keep comparing the deckathalon to events fount in mobile games (cellphone games) because nearly all mobile game events follow a similar structure KI is using for this event.
They have everyone compete (potentially) with the entire player base. The idle rich have the time and the funds to easily take and hold the top positions.

I almost think the deckathalon is two experiments mixed poorly. KI is using the structure of a mobile event, but they have also made decisions that mobile games wouldn't dream of making,

most mobile games make these types of event last a month, and indeed give the players a month to prepare before hand.
These games also give the player multiple daily chances to participate for free, and allow players to buy extra chances.

Though instead of charging a high fee for additional chances to run the event, Ki has chosen to have players fight by consuming single use items for every attack during a battle.
This is far more expensive to a player than charging a higher fee for additional attempts at the event, and letting them use permanent skills.
A mobile game would probably have charged us 20-50 thousand gold per entry after we used the 5 free entries. the one thousand gold we pay now is a token fee only. A mobile game would also either have us use our own spells, or found a way to grant us some other reusable spells that could be used in the event. The items or spells would have functioned for at least the entire period of the event. If there are single use items they either restore a player to full health or they destroy all foes in a battle with a single hit.
KI isn't just tweaking the event formula used in mobile games they are drastically altering it. Such drastic departures will not tell KI if players would enjoy playing a mobile style event in Wizard101.

Though; If KI employees were tasked to implement a mobile style event, but didn't want to, then their decisions make perfect sense. If the event does not hold enough player interest, then the staff could report that the player base does not like mobile style events.

Administrator
Zebulous Newt on Jul 21, 2019 wrote:
I just quit playing a mobile game, where the whole game was nearly the deckathalon.
Anyway.
Using consumables exclusively as attacks drains an average player too quickly. The decakthalon event time really is too short.
I am going to keep comparing the deckathalon to events fount in mobile games (cellphone games) because nearly all mobile game events follow a similar structure KI is using for this event.
They have everyone compete (potentially) with the entire player base. The idle rich have the time and the funds to easily take and hold the top positions.

I almost think the deckathalon is two experiments mixed poorly. KI is using the structure of a mobile event, but they have also made decisions that mobile games wouldn't dream of making,

most mobile games make these types of event last a month, and indeed give the players a month to prepare before hand.
These games also give the player multiple daily chances to participate for free, and allow players to buy extra chances.

Though instead of charging a high fee for additional chances to run the event, Ki has chosen to have players fight by consuming single use items for every attack during a battle.
This is far more expensive to a player than charging a higher fee for additional attempts at the event, and letting them use permanent skills.
A mobile game would probably have charged us 20-50 thousand gold per entry after we used the 5 free entries. the one thousand gold we pay now is a token fee only. A mobile game would also either have us use our own spells, or found a way to grant us some other reusable spells that could be used in the event. The items or spells would have functioned for at least the entire period of the event. If there are single use items they either restore a player to full health or they destroy all foes in a battle with a single hit.
KI isn't just tweaking the event formula used in mobile games they are drastically altering it. Such drastic departures will not tell KI if players would enjoy playing a mobile style event in Wizard101.

Though; If KI employees were tasked to implement a mobile style event, but didn't want to, then their decisions make perfect sense. If the event does not hold enough player interest, then the staff could report that the player base does not like mobile style events.
Thanks Zebulous for the feedback!

What mobile games are you referring too if I might ask? We haven't really considered these events related to any mobile games before, but if that's the case, we'd like to know which ones might be using this style too.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I agree the Ice and Death Deckathalon felt like a mobile event. Aiming for the top 25 required at least 1-2 million gold and 10+ hours of grinding a day. But, I feel the Fire Deckathalon fixed this issue. All the rewards can be achieved at 750 points and the event lasts a week. Essentially, all you need to do is complete 6 rounds of the fourth level a day and you'll get all the rewards. At most, you'll only be spending 100-200 grand in gold for the TC needed, but most of this cost can be lowered if you've played in prior Deckathalon's as you can craft some of the TC. I can understand new players frustration as gold is an issue, but KI does let you know in advance what Deckathalon is coming so it gives you time to grind for gold. In addition, new TC is being added to the library to help make the process even easier. Compared to mobile games, the Deckathalon's now cater to a wider number of players, but changes should be made to make it more tolerable.

The first thing I'd recommend is a 10-20% chance of a power pip. One of the unique aspects of the Deckathalon is the mastery of every school. Besides using an outside deck, you never make use of this aspect and the surprise of a game changing power pip could save someone from losing.

The other is being able to craft Strengthening and superior runes. These runes are necessary to craft the gauntlets promoting the event and should be able to be crafted. I've competed in every event and I only have 7/10 of the strengthening runes and hardly any superior runes besides the ice ones from the Fire Deckathalon. The drop rates for these runes are insanely low and we need a method to make use of all the excess runes not being used. Besides mindlessly grinding for the superior runes, the only other possible method are the Deckathalon packs. This seems like a very mobile move as almost forces people to spend money to get the reagents that should be dropping.

Besides these fixes, I feel like the Deckathalon is giving more useful data while also encouraging more people to take part in the event.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
The game I was thinking of was Valkyrie Crusade.

A shame really, it had become several thousand people competing for the top 500 places. They even went so far as to implement double point days in the middle and on the last day of the event. This did not let lagging players catch up. what it did do was force you to play all night, to keep your current rank. If you actually had stopped playing for eight hours on that last day you would wake up and find that you had lost about 200 ranks.