Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Paradox Gear Drop Rates Need Serious Improvement

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
You Guys (And Gals) have been programming this game in excess of a decade now. It is still better than most games on the market in its genre. However, Your best answer to gear rewards for end-game gear is to push your player base through several dungeon instances in excess of almost a hundred times each before allowing them to maybe get lucky enough to get the desired rewards. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to have to point out that after about the tenth pass in any of these dungeons, they start to get boring.

Is there seriously not a better approach to rewarding end game gear that doesn't require players to have to run any given dungeon umpteen times before they can get it?

Explorer
Feb 21, 2010
Please, Please, stop dropping gear for other wizards. If I am playing a death wizard then odds are that I am seeking death gear drops. Why in the world would you dilute the drop rewards with other wizard gear. I understand that this can be helpful in some situations but if you are gonna persist in dropping gear for other wizards than allow a trade system timer for instanced wizards that can be traded with so other wizards might benefit from the runs they are participating in.

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
Maybe figure out a way to minimize duplicates as well. That Might speed things up a bit. I know that choosing from a reward pool of 100 items is far less rewarding than choosing from a pool of 25 items but that only works in favor of keeping the player plugging away at the hope that they might get lucky eventually. Does every end game run have to hang on the "Eventually" every time you make something new? Try increasing the pip o' plenty jewel drops somewhat as well, those are few and far between nowadays which is just another mountain to climb at some point that might "Eventually" be fulfilling!!

Explorer
Feb 21, 2010
A Day in the Life running just the elemental and astral groves for needed paradox gear on my balance wizard so far this day has yielded me hundreds of shiny jewels I can't possibly use, hundreds of seeds that I must sell or feed my pet to keep making space in my inventory, and hundreds and hundreds of useless treasure cards that I must constantly sell so I don't run into overflow issues. Then, after all that selling and pet feeding, I must go and spend down gold on more and more pet snacks that I now have so many of that I am probably set for the next ten years. and after all that, I still can't manage to get the paradox drops that I am seeking. WHAT GIVES?

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
A Good indicator that these drop rates might be set to low is to watch the Amount of AFK Players who either stand at the entrance and wait for the group to progress the instance to the last boss or as in the case of the spirit grove, those who just keep building pips and never selecting any cards as the timer times out waiting for the other players to defeat the enemies.

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
STOP with the Divine Paradox gear Drops. eight is more than enough for any one account. Why drop more than eight? It's useless gear, you know it's useless gear! Why dilute the drop rewards with the stuff? Also, Stop dropping other wizards paradox gear just to further dilute the drop pool. QUIT wasting our time with this type of drop system. It takes far too long and there are other awesome things I would rather be wasting my time on in your awesome game!! I still got pet training to tackle. That mountain has been put off too long already!!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I understand the frustration but let's face it, this gear is Malistaire replacements. I was duel boxing it in 11 minutes (yes I timed it) and it would have been even quicker with a full team. Darkmoor used to take over an hour for 2 chances, this takes 11 mins without the need for a full team and we can get both pieces of gear in one drop.

I know it's frustrating not getting it and if we're having bad luck on drops but there has to be a challenge for top gear. The community said Darkmoor was too long and asked for the next gear drops to be in a shorter dungeon, we got it. We must have known that a shorter dungeon would have to be lower drops rates.

PS. Using a balance dispel then changing the ring to allow a one shot defeat reduces time a lot. We can buy them from Una (and other TC vendors) if we don't have it trained. I hope this helps and you get your gear soon...don't give up!

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
I understand the grind for gear and the need for a company to use time as a method to earn revenue but at some point it gets to be over whelming.

I still need to work on getting pigsie treasure cards for my life wizard, the ninja piglets for my balance wizard, several more +28 resist jewels, several more +125 health jewels, Still need to work on fixing pets for a couple of wizards that had bad starts, Need to find a ton of amber for all my wizards so they can craft their spells, Did I leave anything out. Oh, I haven't even started fishing yet. Wonder how that grind is going to be.

Tone down the lengths of everything that's new. Making everything hard on the lowest possible RNG multiplier just to extend the length of some random chance at loot drops make it seem like the game is turning more into work than fun!!

Running a dungeon (Even in 11 minutes) over and over again a hundred times is not challenging. If anything, after the 5th or 6th run, it is more boring than challenging because by then you have optimized your deck so much that you can speed kill everything and anybody that's just starting out that joins your group is belittled because they aren't at your level of deck optimization yet and tend to slow everything down. The challenge for the elder player is how much you can berate somebody that's slow.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SpellWeaver11 on May 14, 2019 wrote:
I understand the grind for gear and the need for a company to use time as a method to earn revenue but at some point it gets to be over whelming.

I still need to work on getting pigsie treasure cards for my life wizard, the ninja piglets for my balance wizard, several more +28 resist jewels, several more +125 health jewels, Still need to work on fixing pets for a couple of wizards that had bad starts, Need to find a ton of amber for all my wizards so they can craft their spells, Did I leave anything out. Oh, I haven't even started fishing yet. Wonder how that grind is going to be.

Tone down the lengths of everything that's new. Making everything hard on the lowest possible RNG multiplier just to extend the length of some random chance at loot drops make it seem like the game is turning more into work than fun!!

Running a dungeon (Even in 11 minutes) over and over again a hundred times is not challenging. If anything, after the 5th or 6th run, it is more boring than challenging because by then you have optimized your deck so much that you can speed kill everything and anybody that's just starting out that joins your group is belittled because they aren't at your level of deck optimization yet and tend to slow everything down. The challenge for the elder player is how much you can berate somebody that's slow.
It sounds like you may be trying to do everything at once or looking at a list of things you want to achieve as a bad thing.

If we put a years food in front of us and tried to eat our way through it as fast as we can we'd make ourselves feel sick. If we take a years food and try to eat our way through each type as fast as we can we also make ourselves sick. When we take a little of each thing and enjoy it slowly throughout the day/week and eventually the year, we have delicious enjoyable meals every time we eat.

Having lots to do isn't a bad thing, it can make all of it enjoyable. You can achieve all the things on your list! Maybe do a little farming for your hat and boots, then if it gets tiresome go and see if you get lucky with your jewels or do a spot of fishing or do a hatch and see what it gets when you train him up a little bit. That way you don't find it is a year worth of cheese on a plate followed by a year worth of pasta...you can enjoy a bolognaise with all the trimmings and each day enjoy a different meal to your choosing

As for people berating you or belittling you - I'm sorry you've experienced this and if you have the misfortune to meet someone like that just block them and go in with other people instead. I've been farming for the hat and boots and only met nice people so I know there are lots of nice people there too.

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
I don't want to spend a year farming for things. Think of it like this: This game along with all other games will eventually be shut down. Eventually, there will be fewer players playing it causing it to be placed on the list for retirement. I would like to think that after ten years that the drop rate numbers would improve with time as the game ages since there are fewer players left to help with those grinds. Thinking that a game company would ever state that a person could obtain some random drop on their first try or their ten thousandth try is actually alarming. Why would you want someone to try farming a boss for ten thousand times. I know that it's a random number but I would hope that as a human being programming a game that they put some sort of upper limit on what they might expect the average player to put in for time before they just gave up. Ten thousand seems awfully high for an average. Would that indicate that this company is trolling their players with the infinitely low drop rates?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SpellWeaver11 on May 16, 2019 wrote:
I don't want to spend a year farming for things. Think of it like this: This game along with all other games will eventually be shut down. Eventually, there will be fewer players playing it causing it to be placed on the list for retirement. I would like to think that after ten years that the drop rate numbers would improve with time as the game ages since there are fewer players left to help with those grinds. Thinking that a game company would ever state that a person could obtain some random drop on their first try or their ten thousandth try is actually alarming. Why would you want someone to try farming a boss for ten thousand times. I know that it's a random number but I would hope that as a human being programming a game that they put some sort of upper limit on what they might expect the average player to put in for time before they just gave up. Ten thousand seems awfully high for an average. Would that indicate that this company is trolling their players with the infinitely low drop rates?
I didn't say it would take you a year to farm for the things you currently want. I said if you put a years worth of food in front of you and try to eat your way through it you'd feel sick, especially if you ate it one type at a time.

Whether working your way through the things you want to do takes 2 days, a week or more, right now it sounds like you're looking at it as a mountain of stuff to deal with and trying to do each thing one at a time, which is burning you out.

Having said that, as the game progresses and KI continue to add new challenges for us there will likely always be plenty of content to choose from...except of course in the scenario of the game shutting down. That scenario seems unlikely and people have been claiming W101 is 'dying' for almost as long as it has existed. If we live our lives looking at everything as if it is about to collapse we won't enjoy any of it and it would never be worth investing money, time or effort into anything...so enough on that.

The odds are certainly not averaging 10,000 runs, so whether this has been said as a tongue in cheek analogy by KI or not, it is irrational to take it as likely and much less as 'average'.

It's up to you how you play and how also how you post. I hoped to encourage you and help you find a way to enjoy the challenges more. I'm sorry that hasn't been the outcome. Sometimes we can get a 'solution' into our heads (in this case, increase drop rates) and unless or until we get that it seems overwhelming or a pointless task. However, there can be much relief and a refreshed motivation when we accept how things are and find a fun way to embrace it instead.

I very much hope you can find that and I'm sorry I was unable to assist you.

All the best

Survivor
May 17, 2019
Bro i spent two days trying to get the boots
While level thirty one wiz ported to me at the last minutes and got the boots
Please fix this
darkmoor was really hard but at least ya get something Like come on

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
Kyle death hammer on Aug 7, 2019 wrote:
Bro i spent two days trying to get the boots
While level thirty one wiz ported to me at the last minutes and got the boots
Please fix this
darkmoor was really hard but at least ya get something Like come on
laughs in having to do 10+ runs to get the hat on my storm

Survivor
Sep 02, 2012
I agree that it needs improvement. Going into this, I thought it would've been easier to get the gear than Darkmoor. However, I was unfortunately wrong. I spent many runs getting nothing so I decided to craft the gear instead, hoping it'd be easier. Again, I was wrong. All the reagents were easy to obtain after hours of farming in the Husk but there was one problem. It required a specific Zanadu gear depending on what you were crafting for. At first, I thought it would be simple, seeing how it was a lower tier gear and dropped from normal bosses. However, I was faced with disappointment when I realized it's just as hard to get the Zanadu gear for the crafted gear. I don't know if I am just unlucky or the drop rate for the Zanadu ring (the item I currently need) is extremely low because I've farmed bosses that drops it for quite awhile now. My question to Kingsisle is that if you're going to add in a crafting option, why would you make the gear hard to obtain like the actual farmable gear? It's pointless seeing how players could just farm instead of craft it. Crafting should be an option made for players who are tired of farming and are looking for another option to obtain it. After hours farming dungeons in the Husk, players will most likely gather the reagents needed for crafting the gear. It's really unnecessary to force them into farming for a lower tier gear with low drop rates when they could just farm the main dungeon. I understand that lowering the drop rates on the paradox gear might be too much to ask for since it's the best gear which requires a lot of work in order to receive it. However, it would be very helpful if the drop rates on the Zanadu gear could be lowered so that players have a better second option of obtaining the gear.