Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Setting for schools during tournaments/Solution

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 20, 2013
In small tournaments with few people it is too easy for players to set for their opponents by spectating a match then checking the tournament rankings. It’s very frustrating to face players that have their deck stuffed with set shields and school specific spells during tournament matches. So I suggest that Kings Isle implements a “Lock In” feature which makes players lock in a deck setup at the beginning of the tournament which they cannot edit until the tournament is over. This feature would stop setting and would remove some of the toxicity from the PvP community allowing players new to PvP to enjoy fair matches.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
epicnoodles432 on Apr 14, 2019 wrote:
In small tournaments with few people it is too easy for players to set for their opponents by spectating a match then checking the tournament rankings. It’s very frustrating to face players that have their deck stuffed with set shields and school specific spells during tournament matches. So I suggest that Kings Isle implements a “Lock In” feature which makes players lock in a deck setup at the beginning of the tournament which they cannot edit until the tournament is over. This feature would stop setting and would remove some of the toxicity from the PvP community allowing players new to PvP to enjoy fair matches.
A good player will set for all schools so i don't agree with this. You should try setting for all school yourself. I keep at 3 set shields in my side esp in quick match pvp even dispels too. Its not a noob thing to do its why the cards exist to begin with. My only problem is rng when mantles don't even work giving 2/3 cast. Matches aren't fair to begin with either and will never be until both players are giving the same opportunity to have equal chances of winning. It will always favor the person going first until they goofed up in the scenario.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
angellifeheart on Apr 16, 2019 wrote:
A good player will set for all schools so i don't agree with this. You should try setting for all school yourself. I keep at 3 set shields in my side esp in quick match pvp even dispels too. Its not a noob thing to do its why the cards exist to begin with. My only problem is rng when mantles don't even work giving 2/3 cast. Matches aren't fair to begin with either and will never be until both players are giving the same opportunity to have equal chances of winning. It will always favor the person going first until they goofed up in the scenario.
If you're already set up to take on all schools then why would you disagree with this? The OP here isn't saying they aren't set up for multiple schools or that set shields in general are bad, but that people should not be able to set for others specifically in the middle of a tournament and add tons of set shields for the school their opponent is.

For example I'm playing my fire wizard and am now on the last round of the tournament. Since people can view my matches my opponent knows I'm a fire wizard and therefore throws on an ultra pet with all three fire resist talents, a bunch of gear that gives fire resist, and equips jewels that give fire flat resist. Altogether my opponent now has immunity at around 103% fire resist. Plus they have now packed plenty of fire dispels and fire -85% shields to stop me from doing anything. Essentially my opponent has now made it impossible for me to win without having to resort to some form of shrike attack or very extensive set up before hitting them.

Locking people's decks and gear at the start of a tournament means major setting for your opponent can't happen. Banning jade gear from pvp also means you can't have immunity or close to it while still able to do enough damage to kill anyone who isn't a life wizard that can heal. It would essentially force people to do what you have said you do and prepare for every school as best you can by packing 2 or 3 of every double shield (I do this too) and maybe dispels for major threats like balance and fire.

Your right until first turn advantage gets leveled out some matches will never be fair, but making it so people can't set up for you specifically in the middle of a tourney would certainly make tournaments more fair.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Luvdogs99 on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
If you're already set up to take on all schools then why would you disagree with this? The OP here isn't saying they aren't set up for multiple schools or that set shields in general are bad, but that people should not be able to set for others specifically in the middle of a tournament and add tons of set shields for the school their opponent is.

For example I'm playing my fire wizard and am now on the last round of the tournament. Since people can view my matches my opponent knows I'm a fire wizard and therefore throws on an ultra pet with all three fire resist talents, a bunch of gear that gives fire resist, and equips jewels that give fire flat resist. Altogether my opponent now has immunity at around 103% fire resist. Plus they have now packed plenty of fire dispels and fire -85% shields to stop me from doing anything. Essentially my opponent has now made it impossible for me to win without having to resort to some form of shrike attack or very extensive set up before hitting them.

Locking people's decks and gear at the start of a tournament means major setting for your opponent can't happen. Banning jade gear from pvp also means you can't have immunity or close to it while still able to do enough damage to kill anyone who isn't a life wizard that can heal. It would essentially force people to do what you have said you do and prepare for every school as best you can by packing 2 or 3 of every double shield (I do this too) and maybe dispels for major threats like balance and fire.

Your right until first turn advantage gets leveled out some matches will never be fair, but making it so people can't set up for you specifically in the middle of a tourney would certainly make tournaments more fair.
I know what he said i was saying that its shouldn't be a major problem because again a good player set for all school. I believe whats really happening here with people who sets, is the fact that they are using pets that target a specific school like a full school ward pet with dealer jewel. I believe we have every right to know who and what or opponent is during a match to properly prepare our selves for it. There is no disadvantage or advantage in that other than which position your placed and the pet you carry such as basic ward or full ward. But that doesn't mean you can predict the out come of match through setting. If K I can just cap the resist at 50% regardless if u had 60-90% resist. It would of been the major solution to all of this without affect anyone current state pve wise.

Community Leader
Hello, I am one of the Organizers from DuelCircle an official fansite that hosts seasonal tournaments.

Balance within PvP is pretty tricky to get just right as it's adapted from the PvE scene where strict rules aren't needed for the landscape. The problem you mentioned where people are able to set for their opponent to gain a massive advantage is a pretty major flaw with how hard it is to counter the within a match. Having the game lock your deck and or gear would be a good step in the right direction to mitigate the problem at hand but not entirely solve it.

The reason why setting is so powerful is due to our primary resistance stat being based upon percentiles instead of a flat number. The more you have of this stat the more powerful it will be within your build as it exponentially improves in potency of damage mitigation. As it scales off an initial effectiveness of 0-100%, it can reach complete damage reduction of incoming attacks. This purposes an issue of actually getting to the win condition of defeating an opponent if you can't do any meaningful damage, which is why we have gotten means to pierce through it with jewels, infallible/flawless, shadow strike, and higher pierce from gears since Darkmoor. In theory it seems to be a good solution to have a stat remove the problematic one at hand, though there's faults. The primary issue at hand is the fact that any of these are not capped. This allows someone who wishes to persistently set against someone to just use more of that stat to either have an okay amount of resistance after pierce or go for something that is really strong resulting in your natural hits outside of your piercing windows to be pretty unrewarding. Which has lead to the natural progression of players using ward pets in the arena to have a higher effective resistance rating under normal conditions to better survive the current offensive meta. A better solution at least for competitive play is to have a cap/cut off point where your resistance only counts for so much, say 70% for resistance and 30-40% for piece for an effective resistance of 30-40%. This is what we do for our seasonal tournaments Christmas Clash and Luau and so far helps to even the playing field against overusing stats.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
DuelCircle Ryan on Apr 21, 2019 wrote:
Hello, I am one of the Organizers from DuelCircle an official fansite that hosts seasonal tournaments.

Balance within PvP is pretty tricky to get just right as it's adapted from the PvE scene where strict rules aren't needed for the landscape. The problem you mentioned where people are able to set for their opponent to gain a massive advantage is a pretty major flaw with how hard it is to counter the within a match. Having the game lock your deck and or gear would be a good step in the right direction to mitigate the problem at hand but not entirely solve it.

The reason why setting is so powerful is due to our primary resistance stat being based upon percentiles instead of a flat number. The more you have of this stat the more powerful it will be within your build as it exponentially improves in potency of damage mitigation. As it scales off an initial effectiveness of 0-100%, it can reach complete damage reduction of incoming attacks. This purposes an issue of actually getting to the win condition of defeating an opponent if you can't do any meaningful damage, which is why we have gotten means to pierce through it with jewels, infallible/flawless, shadow strike, and higher pierce from gears since Darkmoor. In theory it seems to be a good solution to have a stat remove the problematic one at hand, though there's faults. The primary issue at hand is the fact that any of these are not capped. This allows someone who wishes to persistently set against someone to just use more of that stat to either have an okay amount of resistance after pierce or go for something that is really strong resulting in your natural hits outside of your piercing windows to be pretty unrewarding. Which has lead to the natural progression of players using ward pets in the arena to have a higher effective resistance rating under normal conditions to better survive the current offensive meta. A better solution at least for competitive play is to have a cap/cut off point where your resistance only counts for so much, say 70% for resistance and 30-40% for piece for an effective resistance of 30-40%. This is what we do for our seasonal tournaments Christmas Clash and Luau and so far helps to even the playing field against overusing stats.
Ever the heard the saying "the solution to the problem is the problem its self'?. In this case setting=resistance to specific school so how about once again we cap resistance to 50% and pierce to 25% regardless of what gears your using? This would by far fix any issues that comes down to setting why because all that's gonna leave is space to shield spam and what beats down shield spam to the ground? Damage over time. That 70% resist is still to high and pierce as well. 50% resist and 25% max is fair enough to not one shot anyone but also make shields effective.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
angellifeheart on Apr 24, 2019 wrote:
Ever the heard the saying "the solution to the problem is the problem its self'?. In this case setting=resistance to specific school so how about once again we cap resistance to 50% and pierce to 25% regardless of what gears your using? This would by far fix any issues that comes down to setting why because all that's gonna leave is space to shield spam and what beats down shield spam to the ground? Damage over time. That 70% resist is still to high and pierce as well. 50% resist and 25% max is fair enough to not one shot anyone but also make shields effective.
Not every school has a DOT.

Defender
Mar 10, 2014
I think there should be an agreement for both teams to set or not to set. Because setting matches are fun to watch, an immune player vs an immune player. They also provide a nice challenge to overcome. Set matches when BOTH players are set require actual skill because you have to blade up, shrike, and time your hits right rather then just brainlessly spam shadow spells and hits.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Jasmine3429 on Apr 24, 2019 wrote:
Not every school has a DOT.
My point exactly and how do you balance that? You give every school a DOT. Btw, storm should be getting one ive heard that would prob put you storm lovers on par for top tier pvp.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Fred Frost on Apr 24, 2019 wrote:
I think there should be an agreement for both teams to set or not to set. Because setting matches are fun to watch, an immune player vs an immune player. They also provide a nice challenge to overcome. Set matches when BOTH players are set require actual skill because you have to blade up, shrike, and time your hits right rather then just brainlessly spam shadow spells and hits.
The only fun in that is people who got nothing better to do and would waste 2hrs on one match vs 10-15 matches in 2 hrs, is well you get the picture. No one has to agree with anything, your here to bring your best strategies on your own terms to win your matches. That's what it boils down too. It is also impractical that having more resist gives you the upper benefit of the corner. But it all honesty, it comes to who goes first not just shadow spamming alone.