Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Trading Gear...Alternative :)

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
We constantly hear people asking for the ability to trade gear. There are a whole load of different reasons for inhibiting this from people missing the fun of achievement, to begging and scamming, right through to legislation regarding items of monetary value etc...

What about a system where everyone gets their loot from a dungeon but for one hour after completion the items dropped are considered 'team loot' and can be traded? Players still only see their own drops but when helping others if we get the item they wanted we can choose to trade it to them. They have to have been part of the team when it was dropped and trade time is limited (eg 1 hour after dungeon closes).

Since the player earned it by being part of the team it's not the same as trading items. People can not use third party sites to literally buy and sell items as they can only trade items won while working together.

I think this could work without negative impacts and also without breaching the E10 regulations or various gaming legislation around the world...while giving teams the ability to share

What do you all think? Could this work? Any ideas?

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Victoria FireHeart on Apr 12, 2019 wrote:
We constantly hear people asking for the ability to trade gear. There are a whole load of different reasons for inhibiting this from people missing the fun of achievement, to begging and scamming, right through to legislation regarding items of monetary value etc...

What about a system where everyone gets their loot from a dungeon but for one hour after completion the items dropped are considered 'team loot' and can be traded? Players still only see their own drops but when helping others if we get the item they wanted we can choose to trade it to them. They have to have been part of the team when it was dropped and trade time is limited (eg 1 hour after dungeon closes).

Since the player earned it by being part of the team it's not the same as trading items. People can not use third party sites to literally buy and sell items as they can only trade items won while working together.

I think this could work without negative impacts and also without breaching the E10 regulations or various gaming legislation around the world...while giving teams the ability to share

What do you all think? Could this work? Any ideas?
Personally, I'd love this. Too many times, I'm sure I've got something thats absolute junk to me (say, out of school Senator's drops when I wanted at the very least the senator's balance drops, but would prefer the zeus balance drops), but the players who went through with me would desperately love, while they get the Zeus stuff. The only problem there, I'd say, would be players then charging to help you through dungeons, and giving you all the drops they get.

Honestly I think the biggest way they could make it easier to get what you want is to buff the drop rates for things your wizard can actually use. Seriously, I've got Ares' life spear like 5 times now, while I've only got boots and a piece of headwear that i can actually use, and I've probably been through olympus like 20 times now. Even just reducing said bonus to only apply to the final boss of a dungeon would be a massive morale booster towards these long haul grinds like Olympus.

Sorry if this got rambly and off topic, but as an aspiring game developer, myself, the concept of things like balancing of loot are very near and dear to me.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
No, keep the ban on trading gear. I've seen the experiences of players in another MMO that allowed trading - there wasn't an hour that someone wasn't scammed out of exclusive gear or cheated out of the gold to be paid for it.
The moderators of that game were constantly deluged by reports about scammers and requests for restoration of their gear.
It would be better ( and simpler ) if KI brought the "Pirate way" to W101: everyone gets the same drop. If the boss drops a mount or pet or rare gear in that battle, then everyone participating in that battles gets the same drop.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
anecorbie on Apr 17, 2019 wrote:
No, keep the ban on trading gear. I've seen the experiences of players in another MMO that allowed trading - there wasn't an hour that someone wasn't scammed out of exclusive gear or cheated out of the gold to be paid for it.
The moderators of that game were constantly deluged by reports about scammers and requests for restoration of their gear.
It would be better ( and simpler ) if KI brought the "Pirate way" to W101: everyone gets the same drop. If the boss drops a mount or pet or rare gear in that battle, then everyone participating in that battles gets the same drop.
Totally agree with this and i also agree with increasing the drops rate for your specific school only. Lucky for me i never have to go through a rough time farming. This is because i normally do sets of runs a day maybe 2 days or maybe a set of 5 twice in one day. People are always gonna look for a way to scam people off. Just look at this pigsie tc for example there's even black marketing for this.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
My first post stipulated that 'Players still only see their own drops...' so I'm not sure how this would be able to be used to 'scam'.

The items would only be able to be traded with those who were in the dungeon, no-one else and the time limit on trading would be short - long enough to discuss and carry out trade/s but short enough that anyone feeling pressured could wait it out and 'oops, trade invalid', I waited too long nvm...

Trading would take a similar format to TC trading, where neither side can see what others have until they put it into the trade and both sides must agree before the trade completes. The only items able to be added are those won in that specific battle/dungeon (drops from previous runs would not be included).

What it would enable is the ability for people who are helping someone farm for a specific item to trade it to them if they win it while helping them. If I help someone farm for their Mount Olympus gear and I get the item they want I'd be able to trade it to them which allows them the gear (earned as 'group loot') and now I can stop farming for it with them as I have also achieved my goal of helping them.

Similarly, if there is a dungeon where 2 wizards want different things and they get them but it is awarded to the 'wrong' wizards, they can trade them so they have both achieved their goal.

It encourages working as teams as it increases the chances of everyone present achieving their goals more quickly. All drops in the group have been earned by those in the group, this is not the same as giving gear to any wizard we want to. The only items involved were won in that specific run.

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
Maybe a trading elixir. Both wizards would have to use the elixir to trade items and the elixir CAN NOT be gifted.
This would stop others from scamming anyone.
I would love to take items from one of my accounts and give it to the other account.
We can also have an option in the master account that would allow us to use this elixir, under parent control.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2018
I would absolutely love this! We gain items all the time that don't even protein to our schools. But have friends that could also use that gear. I'm all for it!