Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there any pets you absolutely cant hatch?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
My question says it all. But I'll give the closest thing to an example I can think of.

Looking on the internet, there is the Storm Beetle pet. It appears its hybrid with literally anything is the rain beetle, which I *think* means it won't provide anything but rain beetles when hatched with other pets. Which appears to be fine, as rain beetles are functionally identical.

But more specifically, premium pets, be them event pets, gift card rewards, or the Nice Dragon from the current spending rewards; if I found someone who already had them, could I hatch with them and have a chance at getting it? If not, what happens when you hatch two gift card pets together?

I'm trying to be a pet completionist, obtaining every pet I can. I already got all the Wizard City pet drops, discounting holiday pets of course. (though I did purchase a couple of the easter pets).

Another example of a pet I'd love to hatch, is years ago, on my old account, I saw an announcement about a Pet Rock, and I would absolutely adore hatching one of those, but I'm sure that even if theyre hatchable, finding someone with a years-outdated event pet isnt easy

Survivor
Jun 20, 2015
While I am amazed you want to collect EVERY pet in the Spiral, that might not even be possible anymore. For example, the storm beetle hasn't been available sense 2012, and will most likely never be able to be obtained again. Same goes for quite a few pets that were limited edition, or promotional. Still, I do wish you the best, maybe you can have the most diverse and extensive pet collection in the Spiral!

You can look at most of the Spiral pets on this Wiki HERE. It often helps me out greatly!

Kind regards

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Khspoon on Apr 12, 2019 wrote:
While I am amazed you want to collect EVERY pet in the Spiral, that might not even be possible anymore. For example, the storm beetle hasn't been available sense 2012, and will most likely never be able to be obtained again. Same goes for quite a few pets that were limited edition, or promotional. Still, I do wish you the best, maybe you can have the most diverse and extensive pet collection in the Spiral!

You can look at most of the Spiral pets on this Wiki HERE. It often helps me out greatly!

Kind regards
Sure, you cant obtain them normally. but they are still available, in hatching (cant be offered only applies to the kiosk), so, aside from the Storm Beetle, (who gives you a functionally identical pet when hatched with), so if I find someone with a promotional or holiday pet, and hatch that with my own holiday or promotional pet, what happens then? Does the world just explode?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Khspoon on Apr 12, 2019 wrote:

Kind regards
Thank you for your kind, informative and helpful post!

Sometimes it helps to remember that when we respond to a thread it isn't just the OP or those active in the thread who benefit from our contribution. These threads are viewed by many players and will show up in search results when someone is looking for information relating to the topic. Just because the OP has brushed aside your post doesn't mean it was a waste of time writing it or that it isn't valued by others - it is valued and your contribution to the forum is appreciated!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I know of one pet that can't be rehatched: the Sheep.

The Sheep is an extraordinarily rare pet given out from KI as a very special reward and it absolutely can not be rehatched. You just end up with the other pet.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Storm beetle, Frankie Forearms, Danger Hound, and I believe 3 of the older dragons as well as these new pets being released on test as part of the Deckathalon (so far anyway)

The good news is these are marked with an * in the Pet Tome and do not affect the totals, they are counted separately.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The Sheep pet arguably the rarest pet in the game is one that cannot be obtained via hatching.

It's not sold anywhere either and apparently only available to KI Employees.

I have never seen one in all my years of playing Wiz.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Victoria FireHeart on Apr 16, 2019 wrote:
Thank you for your kind, informative and helpful post!

Sometimes it helps to remember that when we respond to a thread it isn't just the OP or those active in the thread who benefit from our contribution. These threads are viewed by many players and will show up in search results when someone is looking for information relating to the topic. Just because the OP has brushed aside your post doesn't mean it was a waste of time writing it or that it isn't valued by others - it is valued and your contribution to the forum is appreciated!
I did not mean to brush them off! I was simply unsatisfied with the answer I got, as I didn't even notice the link. Seriously, its not even a different color, so I skimmed past it. PLUS, the wiki doesnt tell you if you cant use a pet for hatching at all. Thats the main way I was asking. If any pets were unable to be attained even through hatches

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Tefnut0fHoney on Apr 17, 2019 wrote:
I did not mean to brush them off! I was simply unsatisfied with the answer I got, as I didn't even notice the link. Seriously, its not even a different color, so I skimmed past it. PLUS, the wiki doesnt tell you if you cant use a pet for hatching at all. Thats the main way I was asking. If any pets were unable to be attained even through hatches
Well the world's not going to explode and you can hatch with them as much as you like, but some pets will never give their body type back.

A few off the top of my head are: Storm beetle, sheep, pioneer dragon, friendly dragon, shardtail dragon, frankie forearms, fog unicorn (1st gen, not hybrid) and danger hound...

A pet being unobtainable through hatching is very, very different from being unable to be offered for hatchmaking through the kiosk.

Community Leader
The new deckathalon hamsters (as in they can not be obtained from hatching unless you own the pet.)
Sheep Pet
Fog Unicorn
Certain hybrids of the cheezwit pets

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Austin Thorn on Apr 23, 2019 wrote:
The new deckathalon hamsters (as in they can not be obtained from hatching unless you own the pet.)
Sheep Pet
Fog Unicorn
Certain hybrids of the cheezwit pets
You can make the cheesewit hybrids yourself by hatching for the papa and mama ones, so yes you can obtain those through hatching.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Jasmine3429 on Apr 23, 2019 wrote:
You can make the cheesewit hybrids yourself by hatching for the papa and mama ones, so yes you can obtain those through hatching.
Yeah, I was going to make an OP mousy family then realised it was probably more effort than it was worth. I think the change was made due to outrage over the possibility of hatching a brother and sister together...these people think too much and yet not enough rofl...I've had pet mice, believe me they don't care

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I stand by my original post, you can not hatch:

Storm beetle x any pet = rain beetle
Danger hound x any pet = ghost hound
Frankie Forearms x any pet = crabling
Sheep (which no one has anyway) x any pet = goat monk

There are like 3 older dragons, but I am not clear on which ones.

BTW the new hamster pets you can hatch, if you get lucky enough to own one, which means you can improve it, unlike the ones I listed above which really are only good for decoration.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Jasmine3429 on Apr 26, 2019 wrote:
I stand by my original post, you can not hatch:

Storm beetle x any pet = rain beetle
Danger hound x any pet = ghost hound
Frankie Forearms x any pet = crabling
Sheep (which no one has anyway) x any pet = goat monk

There are like 3 older dragons, but I am not clear on which ones.

BTW the new hamster pets you can hatch, if you get lucky enough to own one, which means you can improve it, unlike the ones I listed above which really are only good for decoration.
Correct.

Friendly Dragon gives Buddy Dragon. Shardtail gives Fragmented. Pioneer gives Frontier.