Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bashing is not the answer

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I just read an entry on Reddit from a member of Team-up complaining about other players who have asked for help. Apparently the player asking for help didn't know something or didn't have something. This has happened to me. The first thing my helper said to me was, "Boy you need to buff up your gear." I did need to, as it turns out, but that's not my point. I always get an air of superiority from anyone who comes to help me whether I'm at lvl 25 or lvl 95. That doesn't help. Only one time have I gotten help from a guy who actually talked to me. He's the one who taught me how to stack blades. This game, despite it's looks, is complicated. Diego teaches the very basic concept, but the nuances that go with different wizards takes....well, took me.....hours of play.
I have brought this up before and here it is again. I would pay crowns to have one on one time with an experienced player who could help me up my game. Have an "Expert Advice" kiosk that lists what each adviser is teaching and give us the chance to learn. And I don't mean an NPC, I mean a real person who can answer our questions. The teacher has to be willing to take the time to hook up. So you team up helpers, if you don't like that us noobs don't know what to do, teach us. You don't have the right to whine unless you're willing help us get better.

Rylee Mythweaver lvl 21

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
colocrys on Jan 25, 2019 wrote:
I just read an entry on Reddit from a member of Team-up complaining about other players who have asked for help. Apparently the player asking for help didn't know something or didn't have something. This has happened to me. The first thing my helper said to me was, "Boy you need to buff up your gear." I did need to, as it turns out, but that's not my point. I always get an air of superiority from anyone who comes to help me whether I'm at lvl 25 or lvl 95. That doesn't help. Only one time have I gotten help from a guy who actually talked to me. He's the one who taught me how to stack blades. This game, despite it's looks, is complicated. Diego teaches the very basic concept, but the nuances that go with different wizards takes....well, took me.....hours of play.
I have brought this up before and here it is again. I would pay crowns to have one on one time with an experienced player who could help me up my game. Have an "Expert Advice" kiosk that lists what each adviser is teaching and give us the chance to learn. And I don't mean an NPC, I mean a real person who can answer our questions. The teacher has to be willing to take the time to hook up. So you team up helpers, if you don't like that us noobs don't know what to do, teach us. You don't have the right to whine unless you're willing help us get better.

Rylee Mythweaver lvl 21
Good idea, but it needs some qualification. If you want to know something, then someone might be willing to help. If you need help, there is almost always someone who will come to your aid. If you go to the kiosk, or ask for a "team up" you can expect to have a group. That's important, and you need to remember that, if you ask for a team, and then change your mind, or enter the dungeon, anyone who has joined will be stuck playing that encounter solo, if you leave without warning. When a person enters a dungeon, from the kiosk, and is the only person present, they're in a terrible situation. Either they play solo, or they lose ten minutes of time for fleeing. You've cost them ten minutes, just by leaving as the dungeon opens, or not entering when it starts. That's one of the reasons that many players have quit 'helping', as they don't like the penalty for no reason.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014

Rylee Mythweaver lvl 21
When anyone offers me unsolicited criticism, whether in game or irl, I react to it with the assumption they are offering to help solve the problem...I don't care if that was their intention or not, I react as if it was! I know it's quite manipulative but it's also quite effective!

I don't need to defend myself - I never asked for their opinion/criticism....but they're offering it, so they must be offering advice too, right?

When someone throws criticism your way you could try responding with a simple, "What do you suggest?". Anyone wanting to help will then give advice and support, anyone looking to just put you down will be squirming because they just unwittingly made your problem, THEIR problem!

You will likely get good advice and you could even ask them to help you achieve it...people being helpful might be able to help you even more; those who were being mean will certainly think twice about criticising you again, and probably think twice about doing it to anyone else too. At very least you'll shut down any more negativity. You might even be surprised by how many people were genuinely looking to help you

Anyway...if you'd like to meet up in game I'm happy to help you work out gear and play with strategies etc. I'm no expert but I can show you what I'd do and help you feel more confident with your wizard You said your gear needs upgrading, so we could do some farming too...maybe some Mount Olympus runs when you hit level 30? I'm happy to help. Let me know your wizard name, usual playing times and time zone and we can meet to connect in game if that would be helpful to you

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Everyone will have an opinion, whether it be about our looks, our speech, the way we behave etc.

But it seems that a few usually use such freedom to instead criticize or demean others because "they don't act/behave/do what they think that you should be doing."

Unfortunately, this type of behavior has found its way into The Spiral and is ultimately experienced by a plethora of wizards on a daily basis.

Such behaviors I strongly condone.

You suggested a Kiosk geared towards assisting wizards who would like to know a few mechanics of the game register to do so.

But unless the first issues of our original Kiosk are addressed, (increased punishment for trolls basically), then what is stopping a troll from signing up just so he/she can take the opportunity to bash you as you mentioned? It's sad, but we are all cognizant that this is highly possible.

If implemented (correctly), then I can see this idea definitely taking off; and it will even bring the community closer together!

An alternative however, is to improve Diego's method. The last good lesson Diego gave was about PowerPips. We got that at level 10. Sure, he has offered more lessons, but the implementation was something I disagree with.

As a result, I suggest much more improved lessons (that should be storyline so players can be exposed to it or offer a good reward to get players to do his lessons rather than ignore) that are much more practical and efficient.

Lessons such as:

How to use Shadow Pips
Blade & Trap Enhancement/stacking.
Critical Block
Incoming/Outgoing Healing Boost (Differences etc.)
Jewels
Usefulness of Pets
AoE Spells
Etc.

If the game/design team requires assistance here, by all means, ask the community!
We're loaded with tips and tricks that'll go miles!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015

Rylee Mythweaver lvl 21
Sorry to hear what you've gone through, Colocrys, so I'll try to help you with some universal, level 20 advice.

Blades and traps are, indeed, you're primary damage booster, and can make the difference between victory and failure. If you have access to negative charms or positive wards, such as Weakness and Fire Shield respectively, you can also weaken enemy attacks! Do this if you think the enemy is about to use a powerful attack.

Yes, you should probably boost your gear. Try the Bazzar in Olde Town! Look through it for good gear you can use. If you get confused, you can sort gear by level, school, and whether or not you can use it.

Hope this helps!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
That is why I am soooooo thankful for my questing partner and mentor.

I literally would not have made it as far as I did without her help.

This would be a great idea.

I wonder if there would be a way to implement this idea without Trolls passing themselves off as a caring teacher only to berate and belittle the Wizards they are supposed to be helping.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
Like you, I also had problems when I started to play. I am willing to teach you and help you improve your wizard.
I do not know when you play, so tell me where and when we can meet on Monday January 28th. What time and realm.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012

Rylee Mythweaver lvl 21
You could go to Wizard101 Central wiki and do some research on bosses for their cheats and tips to defeat them & about their drops. You could even ask some questions on these forums. I have found some excellent advice and help from experienced players here.
It is unfortunate that some people don't know how to give supportive or constructive criticism, even if they're not arrogant ( on purpose ), but truly want to advise you.

I don't know if anyone would be willing to give up their time and energy doing what is already offered here or on Central. Or how this could be even organized. Who would want to wait around on an "Advice" kiosk hoping someone shows up with a question they can answer?

Survivor
Sep 11, 2017
I believe there are plenty of ways to research and become better on your own. The idea of paying crowns to have someone tell you what you could easily research yourself is silly to me. I would rather have the costs of retraining your wizard and stitching your gear be removed and make those free or charge gold alternatively.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I have had this many times.. I play the game for fun.. I don't play to have the best of everything.. Even when I am max level I have gotten this.. What I end up saying to them is Good thing I dont play to please you..

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Ooooeeeee. I stirred up a hornet's nest with this one. I can totally understand helpers being angry with skippers. If you're putting yourself out there to help it would be easy to feel abused. I did not know the 10 minute thing. Studying wiki only goes so far. I can get an answer but then there's no one to answer my next question; thus my query for a live person. There's always that "ok, but what happens if.....?" In the instance where the girl said I need to buff up my gear, I did ask her, got no answer, and when I didn't have any Sharpen Blade SHE left. Answering that question; how do I buff my gear, is extensive. I've read Edward and others try to answer, but sometimes it has to start with "what kind of wizard do you want to be?" There is no one standard answer.
I started a Myth wizard and with all you've (plural!!!) taught me, at lvl 25 I'm doing pretty good. My pet has 4 crit talents and I've already gathered 3 different kinds of blades. The next thing I want to get into is the jewels. I'm confused about why a Myth jewel pack would have amethyst in it. I'm not even sure I know how to word the question. I also want to know why I only ever go critical on my Life (second school) casts. To Cat Wildbreeze, I would love the help. I'm in Mountain time and always in Centaur realm. You pick time of day - I'm retired.

Thank you everyone
Rylee Mythweaver lvl 25

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
colocrys on Jan 28, 2019 wrote:
Ooooeeeee. I stirred up a hornet's nest with this one. I can totally understand helpers being angry with skippers. If you're putting yourself out there to help it would be easy to feel abused. I did not know the 10 minute thing. Studying wiki only goes so far. I can get an answer but then there's no one to answer my next question; thus my query for a live person. There's always that "ok, but what happens if.....?" In the instance where the girl said I need to buff up my gear, I did ask her, got no answer, and when I didn't have any Sharpen Blade SHE left. Answering that question; how do I buff my gear, is extensive. I've read Edward and others try to answer, but sometimes it has to start with "what kind of wizard do you want to be?" There is no one standard answer.
I started a Myth wizard and with all you've (plural!!!) taught me, at lvl 25 I'm doing pretty good. My pet has 4 crit talents and I've already gathered 3 different kinds of blades. The next thing I want to get into is the jewels. I'm confused about why a Myth jewel pack would have amethyst in it. I'm not even sure I know how to word the question. I also want to know why I only ever go critical on my Life (second school) casts. To Cat Wildbreeze, I would love the help. I'm in Mountain time and always in Centaur realm. You pick time of day - I'm retired.

Thank you everyone
Rylee Mythweaver lvl 25
I"m assuming you're wanting Storm Resist if you're looking for Amythests instead of Topaz? Good call. Since Storm is your "weak" school (Meaning Myth and Storm do extra damage to each other), you'll want to build up resist to it in particular. But don't forget your other resists! Always get universal resist if you can.

If you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask. We're always happy to help!

Defender
Nov 08, 2009

Thank you everyone
Rylee Mythweaver lvl 25
I usually play more in the evening time. But play in the morning doing my gardens and some during the day between cleaning. I am Eastern time. So how about 10 am eastern time, Centaur realm in the commons. I will check everyday until we meet. I am also retired and loving it. Another thing you mentioned, I do not want to be paid for my friendship.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Sorry you experienced rudeness from another player.

It's a downside of the internet, I think: Sometimes some people feel they do not have to even try to be polite or at all tolerant or tactful, because they won't face any consequence for it.

So some people master the 'art' of being just rude enough to hurt the other person but not rude enough to violate TOS or be reported for it.

The whole 'your gear is bad' thing, unprompted and unrequested opinions and criticisms and orders from other players, is so disheartening. It can feel like they just took a chunk out of you. Especially if you are already having a bad or stressful day.

Someone I really liked was always popping my balloon and giving me orders. I'd say no and they'd continue, or I'd try to say but I really look forward to X and I want to do X, i.e. play my way (in this case buying a couple dollars' worth of prizes if I won a boss battle.) Nope, I shouldn't do that, I should do what they told me instead.

It's your game. Don't tolerate rudeness, bossiness, or anything that detracts from it. Mute/ignore/report as fits a situation. It is sad but sometimes has to be. Team ups are risky because you get thrown in with anybody.

I used to face this type of thing from battle crashers too. I had one girl follow me around and kept telling me my gear was horrible. I muted her, but she kept crashing my battles too, adding a monster just when I was nearly done. Feel sorry for people who troll others, because it means they are acting out due to their own misery.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Colocrys, I would gladly help you if I were well enough to be able to keep appointments I set. I can't predict when I will ever be able to be in the game. If I knew a way to friend you I would send you a pack and hopefully you would get something cool in it to cheer you up and show you that there are goodies in the game too. Like in life, the trick is finding one.
Sounds like you are in good hands with Cat.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
You know, one thing I've come to notice is that you're always asking questions; wanting to know more and more importantly; wanting to improve yourself.

You always try to do this in the most respectful manner you can.

This should be applauded. You're willing to accepting advice and use what is mentioned to further your gameplay.

So, in essence, you're getting to becoming a better player and you don't even realize it.

Keep asking your questions;

We'll definitely assist when we can!

And again, most of us are chiming in because we're against the type of experience you had to unfortunately go through.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Armiger
Jan 18, 2010

Thank you everyone
Rylee Mythweaver lvl 25
If you're referring to the Jewel Packs inside the crown shop (which I advise you take advantage of during this very rare Pack-A-Palooza Event if you've got a few crowns to spare) have different defense (usually square) jewels to assist you in defending against other schools.

So, while the Myth Pack may contain a majority of centered jewels, the others inside are meant to also aid you in battle.

Try equipping those Square ones to the open sockets on your jewelry items to assist you in fending off opponents attacks.

Also, remember the jewels inside the packs work on a 10 level basis.

So, the first set (depending on the level of the wizard that opens the jewel pack) will have jewels that current wizard can equip or may not (in which case, you'll have to gain a few levels to use).

You can also get a Myth Brume mount from the pack!

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
To Cat Wildbreeze
I'm sorry, but Mountain is 2 hours behind you. You're 10 AM is 8AM for me. Being a nightowl I'll read until 2 or 3 and sleep until noon. After years of having to be at work at some very early hours (45 years!) I no longer have an alarm clock. We can try to connect at some later date. Thank you

Rylee Mythweaver lvl 27

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
And now to Edward, thank you. That was nice of you to say.

You did inadvertently answer on of my questions. Why do I open a Myth jewel pack and find ruby or amethyst? I got very lucky last week and found a double blade triangle jewel. I've been looking for one of those. In using the other stones for defense, how do I decide? We face foes from every school. Is there a general rule for which square jewel to use for protection?

Ok, here's another thing that puzzles me. I ended up with Life as my second school quite by accident. During level 1, once I get a little gold, I go to the bazaar and buy a wand that has the cards from all the schools. More power. In duels, at very early levels, the only cards that never fizzled on me were the Life cards. So that was that. Now - my pet has 4 crit talents but I seem to go critical more often casting a Life spell than a Myth. And now at level 26 I go critical more often period, but can I influence this? Thanks again for all your help. And remember - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Rylee Mythweaver

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
colocrys on Jan 29, 2019 wrote:
To Cat Wildbreeze
I'm sorry, but Mountain is 2 hours behind you. You're 10 AM is 8AM for me. Being a nightowl I'll read until 2 or 3 and sleep until noon. After years of having to be at work at some very early hours (45 years!) I no longer have an alarm clock. We can try to connect at some later date. Thank you

Rylee Mythweaver lvl 27
OK, lets try for 4pm my time and 2pm your time. At least we can become friends and go from there. I will try today in the commons in Centaur realm, and tomorrow also. Cya then.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well the defense jewel you want to use usually depends on preference and school. I'll elaborate;

As an wizard levels, there resistances will start to tilt further to the elemental side (if crafted gear is used) providing them more resistance to and than the other schools.

As such, an ice with these characteristics will have no need to increase defenses against these schools (unless one is aiming for immunity) but rather another reasonable hitting and annoying school to go up against such as or even it's own school;

As a in your case with average health, the ruby and amethyst jewels may be more useful to you than say a citrine and onyx one since the latter doesn't hit as hard.

But, again, comes down to personal preferences at times.

It is also important to note that these jewels in particular does not give a % amount of resistance but rather just a raw overall number.

Example:

You got a Ruby Square Jewel +15.
You equipped it.

Now, if you're attacked by a fire snake doing 65 damage, the 15 will be subtracted from it giving an overall damage of 50.

So, just bear that in mind.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The talents that your pet gives, is it solely only talents such as Myth Striker?

Or general critical talents such as Critical Striker?

Or even a combination of both.

If you scroll over your critical rating on your character sheet, you will see a % amount of how often you're likely critical using a particular school's spell.

If your critical on the school is higher, then you're more likely to critical using those spells.

If it is higher on your , then these spells should yield more critical.

If the latter is fact, and you've some critical in , I feel that your life spells criticalling more than your myth is just by chance.

You'll probably notice more of a difference as you level and begin Critical Decay.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
I agree with a lot of the discussion in this thread. For someone who prefers to play solo (much for many of these reasons), the game gets increasingly difficult at times and it requires you to team up. Right now I am stuck in the world after Azteca. I have yet to successfully win against Kravenly. My frustration with the team-up kiosk is that you are not able to distinguish between those who need help for the first time with the task and those that are there only to farm the boss (i.e. Mount Olympus and Taurtus). It would be great if the kiosk would allow you to designate which you are interested in. It's frustrating to go in with the expectation that you all are at an equal point in the quest, only to find out that everyone else in the group has already done the task and doesn't want to wait around for you to catch up. They either bounce or I jump in mid-quest only to find out that it did not count as I did not start at the beginning. Can't give enough props to the wiki boards and trailblazers who respond to the message board with meaningful advice for those that follow at a slower pace. Kudos KI for an engaging game.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
My dragon has 2 Myth critical and 2 general. And you're right. As I advance I'm seeing more critical on everything. Just finished Ironworks. These are easier than I remember but I've been raising all my girls up to lvl 50 ASAP. I'm actually looking forward to Big Ben.

Rylee Mythweaver lvl 27