Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

failing pets

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
I get that pet training is random, but after so many pets that have failed on me i start to question whats the point of doing it. Please make it easier to get the talents we want on the pet we want.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
In what way are they failing Nathan? Would you mind explaining?

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
i want a triple damage and double resist pet and i am not getting the talents i want

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
nathan owlhaven on Jan 25, 2019 wrote:
I get that pet training is random, but after so many pets that have failed on me i start to question whats the point of doing it. Please make it easier to get the talents we want on the pet we want.
This may be only partially correct (depending on what you mean by a 'fail)

While the talents that will manifest have an element of 'random' to them, pets are not entirely random.

There are some things we can do to improve our chances of getting what we want.

1. Start your pet journey by copying someone else's OP pet instead of trying to make your own from scratch. Many people with amazing pets have never made one from scratch because the process is much longer and more complex...copy a beautiful pet that exists already!

2. Recognise and accept it is a process and some of the pets will be 'between' pets. These pets can appear to be 'fails' but if they are better than the previous they are valuable to the process! Look at where you are starting and where you want to end up - any step in that direction is GOOD!

3. Talents that are manifested in the parents have an increased chance of manifesting in the baby. It's not guaranteed, but it improve your chances.

4. Ask questions, say what you want to achieve, follow the advice...ask more questions if necessary, say the details of your pet and their babies if you need advice about specifics...we're here to help you!

Soooo...

Tell me what you have:
body type:
stat numbers (the numbers next to strength, intellect etc...go from top to bottom):
Pool (from top to bottom, in order, noting any manifested):

Tell me the same details about the pet you're hatching with:

body type:
stat numbers (the numbers next to strength, intellect etc...go from top to bottom):
Pool (from top to bottom, in order, noting any manifested):

Tell me what you'd like (even if this is different from the pets above):
body type:
talents you want:

I can help you work out a strategy, including offering pets to help if necessary. We can maximise your rate of success and help you achieve your dream pet in the quickest and simplest way...expect it to take multiple hatches because it is a process...we didn't make wolves into family pets in one generation!

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
i am trying to get enchanted armament with storm dealer storm giver pain giver proof and defy

the pet i am starting with is that pet and the talents are proof, dealer, pain giver, mana boost and fairy.
the stats strength 254, intellect 207, agility 260, will 242, power 250

the pet i am hatching with is any pet in the hatching kiosk with the talents i want and high stats

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Hi Nathan - The biggest thing that I did that changed my luck with pet raising is what I have seen Victoria Fireheart calling “in between pets”. I was exactly where you are where a super high percentage (100%?) of my pets would fail, and I was epically frustrated.
Methodology is relatively straightforward:
1. * Once you have an adult pet that has two talents that you want, don’t raise it any more. Use that pet as a base.
2. * Hatch the adult base pet with other pets that have those same two talents plus more that you want. Raise the baby and if you get to ancient and have three talents you want go to step 3, otherwise, return to step 1
3. * Once you get an Ancient pet with three talents you want, don’t raise it any more. Use that pet as a base
4. * Hatch the ancient base pet with other pets that have those three talents plus more that you want. Raise the baby and if you get to epic and have four talents you want go to next step, otherwise, return to step three
5. * Same steps with Epic and Mega

By pure statistical chance, since manifested talents are much more likely to appear on the offspring first (I wont talk about percentages since I have not seen the wiz101 code so anything would be a guess), you’ll have pets you enjoy in no time.

That is it. There is a lot more detail with other things I could mention if you are interested, but I have seen those things explained especially by Victoria Fireheart posts in other parts of this forum. It also really helps to be an avid gardener and have 100s if not 1000s of mega snacks available to feed the hatching endeavor.

Michael LegendHunter Visionary Verdant Gardener and Adept Hatchmaker

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
btw - Disregard Mega in step #5 as obviously you wont get anymore talents at that point. Bringing it to Ultra only gets you the jewel and the capacity to add certain jewels to your pet

Cheers.

Michael Legendhunter

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
It may help to think in terms of gradual improvement, rather than pass/fail. Even those of us with super pets didn't get there quickly. Try for a pet that is better than what you have now. Then try again. Stop when you are satisfied. You are VERY unlikely to get exactly what you want in one try. But if you raise a stat here, collect a talent there, over time anything is possible. Patience, selective hatching, and mega snacks will get it done.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Something I think will be highly beneficial would be to stick to hatching with the same pet. Don't keep changing which pet you're hatching with in the kiosk - choose one with high stats and good talents, then make a copy.

A common mistake (I did this plenty of times before I understood hatching better) is to keep changing which pet you hatch with and then you only ever get 'between' pets. When the stats are going up and down each hatch and the talent pool is changing this way and that, you're always getting pets that are better in some ways and worse in others.

Sticking to the same pet and only changing yours will allow you to gradually improve your pet each time. The stats will keep going up and the talent pool will keep giving you more of their pool.

When I am making a copy I follow the same process each time:
1. Copy stats
2. Copy pool
3. Manifest the right talents

This is the quickest and simplest order to achieve all 3 (stats, pool, manifestation). If body-type is thrown in there it would come as step 4.

This order allows us to quickly and easily determine whether to train the baby to adult and rehatch, or sell the baby to the pet shop. When we over-complicate things and/or try to take short-cuts it costs more and at best gives a sideways move that makes it tricky to decide which pet is 'best' for the next hatch.

2 exceptions to the rule could be if we have an abundance of resources or if we have different objectives to making a pet to use eg. collecting body-types. The latter is ruled out in this case already (you've said what you want to achieve) and I'll assume you do not have an abundance of resources since few people do when they're starting to get into pet-making

Choose the pet you will hatch with (from the kiosk or a friend) and use this pet repeatedly. Now choose your pet. There are 2 possible good choices here if you already have a pet with the right body type (if not, go with the pet that has the highest stats). If you have the right body type but the stats are not the highest you have, it could still be worth using it because you don't need to hope to get the body, it will give you that each hatch. Either is good though, so pick one then stick to the decision - don't change your mind once you start or you'll be going back a step.

When you've chosen both pets, hatch. Did the stats go up on any bar? If they did, train it to adult and hatch it again...repeat until you have matched the other pet's stats. During this time keep an eye on the talent pool - the FULL talent pools of both pets, not just what is manifested. You might achieve the full pool from the other pet before the stats are copied but if not, keep hatching and train the baby for every pool improvement until they also match.

If you've copied stats and pool but still need the body hatch until you get it - you do not need to train any babies in between, all copies that are not the body you want can be sold to the pet shop.

Now you have the stats, pool and body. Make 'parent' pets. These will be your pets for using independent of the kiosk/friend. You're going to make 2 parents that have the desired talents manifested between them. Once you have them you can hatch them together and train the baby until it either fails or perfects. If it fails, hatch the parent pets again and train the baby...repeat until you have your perfect pet.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask anything

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
If it was a one shot deal KI would not make money on energy bottles, mega snack packs etc. Even with gardening people still buy mega snack packs its the highest sold item in the crown shop next to pack buying.