Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Veteran Wizard Feedback

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
I've been playing Wizard101 off and on since about 2009, and am not really proud of what 9-year-ago me came up with as a name, Trevor Death, or even as my username(see to the right). To me, its a bland name and have become more and more frustrated when i travel the spiral and see impressive surnames, and would love to see the ability to change names, instead of having the same name over my head for my voyage. Maybe not where I can just pay whenever I want to change it, but a one time offer for the veteran wizards to be able to change their name. Also, when I made the account, I was under the age of twelve, and was not eligible for the ability to get open chat, even though a multitude of my friends who have come to the game later than me have open chat(same goes for Pirate101). I am well over the legal age for open chat now, but am still not allowed to even verify my age to receive open chat. Obviously these aren't game-breaking or gameplay bugs, but they are little personal issues that I know I am not the only wizard who would love to see small resolutions implemented in the game

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
55speed55 on Dec 18, 2018 wrote:
I've been playing Wizard101 off and on since about 2009, and am not really proud of what 9-year-ago me came up with as a name, Trevor Death, or even as my username(see to the right). To me, its a bland name and have become more and more frustrated when i travel the spiral and see impressive surnames, and would love to see the ability to change names, instead of having the same name over my head for my voyage. Maybe not where I can just pay whenever I want to change it, but a one time offer for the veteran wizards to be able to change their name. Also, when I made the account, I was under the age of twelve, and was not eligible for the ability to get open chat, even though a multitude of my friends who have come to the game later than me have open chat(same goes for Pirate101). I am well over the legal age for open chat now, but am still not allowed to even verify my age to receive open chat. Obviously these aren't game-breaking or gameplay bugs, but they are little personal issues that I know I am not the only wizard who would love to see small resolutions implemented in the game
I'd love to see a name change feature

I wouldn't mind paying for this and although I think it should be limited use (once per wizard or perhaps twice?) I do think it absolutely must be available for everyone....we have way too many 'angles' running about who thought they were angels lol...actually 'angle' should be the one exception where it can be changed to 'angel' free of charge

As to the chat issue, this is nothing to do with KI policy and comes down to federal law (COPPA ~ Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) which deems it illegal to ever attempt to work out the age of anyone protected under COPPA...which is every account made by a player under 13...forever...

I could rant about how counter-productive this legislation is for days, so I'll stick to just saying it's not KI preventing you from open chat or choosing not to check your ID etc, that is them keeping on the right side of a poorly worded, badly thought out set of federal legislation.

Sorry for being a bit ranty, few things make me grrrr...not letting or acepting that people age over time is one of them lol

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Dec 18, 2018 wrote:
I'd love to see a name change feature

I wouldn't mind paying for this and although I think it should be limited use (once per wizard or perhaps twice?) I do think it absolutely must be available for everyone....we have way too many 'angles' running about who thought they were angels lol...actually 'angle' should be the one exception where it can be changed to 'angel' free of charge

As to the chat issue, this is nothing to do with KI policy and comes down to federal law (COPPA ~ Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) which deems it illegal to ever attempt to work out the age of anyone protected under COPPA...which is every account made by a player under 13...forever...

I could rant about how counter-productive this legislation is for days, so I'll stick to just saying it's not KI preventing you from open chat or choosing not to check your ID etc, that is them keeping on the right side of a poorly worded, badly thought out set of federal legislation.

Sorry for being a bit ranty, few things make me grrrr...not letting or acepting that people age over time is one of them lol
As with ALL things mandated by Washington, some things fall through the cracks.

Wizard 101 just gets bitten by COPPA.

But honestly, what other MMORPG geared towards an under 13 demographic is also enjoyed and played by adults? What other MMORPG has people playing continuously for 10+ years? When COPPA was crafted the lawmakers did not envision a website needing to be able to grant a revised status to someone who started using the site when they were underage and STILL be using the site and playing the game into teenage/young adult status.

So, about the only way KI could legally upgrade an under 13 account is to give an automatic upgrade at the 14th year. Even then, I'm not sure that is legal.

Steven 130
Christopher 25
The Ghoststalker Brothers.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Area51Alien on Dec 19, 2018 wrote:
As with ALL things mandated by Washington, some things fall through the cracks.

Wizard 101 just gets bitten by COPPA.

But honestly, what other MMORPG geared towards an under 13 demographic is also enjoyed and played by adults? What other MMORPG has people playing continuously for 10+ years? When COPPA was crafted the lawmakers did not envision a website needing to be able to grant a revised status to someone who started using the site when they were underage and STILL be using the site and playing the game into teenage/young adult status.

So, about the only way KI could legally upgrade an under 13 account is to give an automatic upgrade at the 14th year. Even then, I'm not sure that is legal.

Steven 130
Christopher 25
The Ghoststalker Brothers.
I mean, by default if an account was created 13 years ago (and I know KI keeps records of when accounts are created if not the actual ages of some players), if the account still exists in year 14 then by default that player would be over 13.

I don't think it would be breaking any laws to auto-enstate open chat after 18 years etc.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Exabytes on Dec 20, 2018 wrote:
I mean, by default if an account was created 13 years ago (and I know KI keeps records of when accounts are created if not the actual ages of some players), if the account still exists in year 14 then by default that player would be over 13.

I don't think it would be breaking any laws to auto-enstate open chat after 18 years etc.
One would think that to be the case.

However, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one TV.

It might very well be illegal to assume that a 13+ year-old account's owner is now over the age of 13. When it comes to legislation from Washington you can never assume something eve if it is logical.

S Gs

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
This may be a thing next year i keep up with this page on twitter called "the Atmoplex" they are always ahead on what "might" be coming and next year as far as they think from one of the last ki live videos is that a name changer/gender changer as well as a new darkmoor-like dungeon may be the next thing kingsisle is adding in game
i honestly would love to change my a few of my wizards names i've have for nearly 5-10 years now like my fire ice storm and deaths