Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are Moon spells are woefully under-powered?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 19, 2010
Hello everyone, Joseph Sunbright here. I'm currently a level 130 storm wizard and have finally come back. It has been excellent so far and I've canceled other mmo's to play wiz. The issue I'm struggling with at the moment is that I've made a few changes to my wizards school, (I used to primarily use astral spells) and started using more sun spells. I then figured I would give the moon school a shot, (Ignoring the bad reputation it gets). Moon school spells are pretty cool, but when I used the highest level moon school spell available for storm "Polymorph Ptera" I noticed that my health with is normally 5130 (including gems) was reduced by 2630 hp points! Not only that my crit chance and all my stats were severely effected. I understand the function of the moon school, however I don't understand how it can be used viably in any situation. I was kind of bummed because I was hoping that for a level 88 spell you would get more bonuses. Also there is another level 98 spell (Shift Piscean) that cost a staggering 3 pips which in most scenarios in way to pricey and the damage is only 460 (Storm dmg/ steal 1 pip). 3 pips with only one? Is there a play-style with moon that I don't get or does this school need an overhaul? I feel as if maybe I wasted training points.

Let me know what you guys think, and Thanks KI for a GREAT game!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Powerofstorm77 on Dec 7, 2018 wrote:
Hello everyone, Joseph Sunbright here. I'm currently a level 130 storm wizard and have finally come back. It has been excellent so far and I've canceled other mmo's to play wiz. The issue I'm struggling with at the moment is that I've made a few changes to my wizards school, (I used to primarily use astral spells) and started using more sun spells. I then figured I would give the moon school a shot, (Ignoring the bad reputation it gets). Moon school spells are pretty cool, but when I used the highest level moon school spell available for storm "Polymorph Ptera" I noticed that my health with is normally 5130 (including gems) was reduced by 2630 hp points! Not only that my crit chance and all my stats were severely effected. I understand the function of the moon school, however I don't understand how it can be used viably in any situation. I was kind of bummed because I was hoping that for a level 88 spell you would get more bonuses. Also there is another level 98 spell (Shift Piscean) that cost a staggering 3 pips which in most scenarios in way to pricey and the damage is only 460 (Storm dmg/ steal 1 pip). 3 pips with only one? Is there a play-style with moon that I don't get or does this school need an overhaul? I feel as if maybe I wasted training points.

Moon spells are A LOT of fun to play with but sadly, not very helpful for battles, especially as we level up. Hopefully you still have plenty of training points and that you can get back the moon school ones when the training point buyback comes onto memebr benefits next.

I actually really LOVE the moon spells but they really need a lot more boosts to make them useful. I'd love to see this side of astral magic get level appropriate boosts so we can enjoy these cool spells and quirky animations in real battle instances.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Powerofstorm77 on Dec 7, 2018 wrote:

Players will disagree on an overhaul, but an update for the Moon school is definitely needed to be viable. Without scaling with your own stats, it requires continuous updates to upgrade the stats in order to compete with enemies....however, this hasn't happened in awhile.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
The Polymorph spells are underpowered, but they are also designed for the level you must be in order to learn it. They are stronger for wizards below the required level, and weaker for those above it, such as yourself. Furthermore, Polymorphs work much better when you polymorph into something you aren't good at. As a Storm, you already can do what the Ptera polymorph does, so you would benefit more from other polymorphs that do things that you can't do as efficiently (such as the Jaguar). That said, I would still not recommend you learn that Polymorph because the polymorphs' stats are incredibly underwhelming in comparison to a wizard's stats (even at level 88). For example, the Ptera doesn't seem to have any damage boost whatsoever according to Central (and if it does, it probably isn't very high), and the Jaguar only has a 40% Outgoing boost.

Shift spells are also not particularly good. Like Polymorphs, you aren't limited to learning the one closest to your school, and you might not want to anyway. I remember reading something a few years back that suggested using Shift Grendel as Storm as a way to get around Tower Shields and potentially cause a fizzle. That was then, and based on pvp rather than pve. They are spells that you would probably want for their utility rather than their damage, but they are still quite expensive and as such they hardly ever see use.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Shift spells are somewhat situational. Greenoak sees some PvP play but that's about it. 3 power pips is a high cost to pay unfortunately.

Polymorphs are a giant garbage fire with a heavy drizzling of raw sewage on top. They aren't even good at the level you learn them (which is the stats they're attempted to be balanced around), much less at higher levels.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The shift spells taught by Arkyn MoonBlade in Eclipse Tower saw the take a unique direction in terms of the implementation of some of it's spells.

Instead of transforming you outright for the long six turn duration, these spells would just transform you for the one turn it's used for.

They usually leave quite a useful effect on either you or opponent.

But, for three pips, these spells also became a bit useless as our original spells were far better in comparison, worse, the spells don't take PowerPips into consideration since the spells are of the class.

So, like you, when the school was firstly introduced, I invested heavily. I've since retracted all my training points I've wasted on the school.

I would like to hence see the implementation of useful spells we could use our training points on. I'm sure I'm not the only one towering double digits TPs.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Welcome back, Powerofstorm77!

Sad to say, everyone here is right. The moon school is complete garbage...almost.

There is one topic that has not been covered yet, shift maycasts! Some of them are actually decent, but remember! Do not base your deck around them. Pretend they don't exist, play as you normally would, and cheer when the do come into play.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2010
This is what I sincerely hope KI makes note of, and thanks guys for the great insight, I would hate to see this school become left in the dust.

The school is pretty fun to play, but just needs to be tweaked especially if you have to be level 98 to even acquire some spells. My question is, what is the problem with having stats scale during the poly morph? Couldn't you just put a "cap" on the effected stats?(So that storm wizards would not outdo myth wizards with there own spells)

Or at least compensate, with a high level polly-morph that scales well with say a level 130 wizard? As others have mentioned the moon spells are not even that great even at there respected levels.

I wonder would it be possible to to categorize the moon spells strength based on your wizards level? (For example) a level 80 Polymorph is different than a level 130 Polymorph in both stats, crit chance, and potency. As long as the stats are scaled with level there should not be any problem. (Do you want to crit, or use shadow magic with plymorph?)

Get the higher level spell.

If all else fails you could even the playing field and have the global stats from polymorphs be integrated in the moon school. Scale those stats to an acceptable level, boost the appropriate abilities and there ya go.

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
Shift Change spells are good, but the cost to cast them is not. But that is with all the Astral spells. We should NOT be charged double pips to cast the Astral spells. Since this is a school we can not train in or use an amulet for like the other 7 schools.