Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Elusive Origami Fish

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 24, 2012
Does anyone have some tips on anything I could do to speed this process up a bit? I've literally been trying to complete the MooShu fishing quest for a few weeks now. I've caught every fish except the Origami fish and this is exactly where I've been stuck in it for 1-3 weeks.

I'm not playing constantly, keep in mind. And my current attempt at it today will be the first attempt where I do it with all of my energy, but I've been getting pretty fed up with all the Peanut Butter Jellyfish, dekois and Elementalcudas.

Someone recommended using winnow rank 2 fish, but it seems this is no longer an option. You can only buy winnow rank 1 and 3, and I believe winnow rank 2 fish is your reward for this quest. I'm using rank 2 lures and I'm not a high enough level for rank 3 lures yet. Is there a specific area I have a better chance of catching them or anything like that?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
You can attempt to "isolate" them by combing Winnow Storm Fish and Winnow Fish Rank 2. If other fish fall into those categories, look for a fish that's faster than the others.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SkyPony2017 on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:
Does anyone have some tips on anything I could do to speed this process up a bit? I've literally been trying to complete the MooShu fishing quest for a few weeks now. I've caught every fish except the Origami fish and this is exactly where I've been stuck in it for 1-3 weeks.

I'm not playing constantly, keep in mind. And my current attempt at it today will be the first attempt where I do it with all of my energy, but I've been getting pretty fed up with all the Peanut Butter Jellyfish, dekois and Elementalcudas.

Someone recommended using winnow rank 2 fish, but it seems this is no longer an option. You can only buy winnow rank 1 and 3, and I believe winnow rank 2 fish is your reward for this quest. I'm using rank 2 lures and I'm not a high enough level for rank 3 lures yet. Is there a specific area I have a better chance of catching them or anything like that?
Ooooh the Origami fish is one of my all-time favourites! IDK what it is about catching that fish but when I see it emerge from the water it makes me feel so happy!

That said, it's certainly NOT because it is hard to catch, it's actually got a few little tells

I recommend catching him in Jade Palace. There are only 3 storm fish found there - mechanical armorhead (rank 1), Stormacuda (rank 1) and origami fish (rank 2).

Winnow storm fish then either...

1. reveal rank 1 fish and see if any don't glow (you can scare away the glowing ones if you can't see all the fish in one cast). Catch the storm fish that is not rank 1 and it will definitely be the origami fish!

2. OR just watch them...scare off slow ones (they're stormacuda) and look how the others move. The mechanical armorhead and origami both swim fast but the mechanical armorhead is more jerky and stuttering in his movement while the origami is swift and zoomy. Catch any you think might be the origami...if you find yourself getting mechanical armorheads you will quickly come to recognise the way they move and notice when you see one fish acting differently! Origami fish are typically SMALL! A tiny storm fish in Jade Palace zooming about is very very likely a cute origami fish begging you to catch him if you can!

Ok, if you don't have winnow storm or reveal rank 1 spells...again 2 choices!

CONT...

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SkyPony2017 on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:

...CONT

Ok, if you don't have winnow storm or reveal rank 1 spells...again 2 choices!

1. You could get a higher level wizard to port you into the Labyrinth. YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THE DUNGEON! Follow the arrow directing you to Dmitri Ironchains and just behind him there is a dude called Timor Flamecaster. Timor has the winnow spells and will sell them to you as long as you're rank 3 or above in fishing! The winnow spells cost 1000 gold each, total for all of them 7000. He also sells reveal rank 1 fish for 1000 gold as well...so 8000 total if you want this one too. There is no rank required to purchase the reveal rank 1 fish spell but you must be rank 3 or above to but the winnow spells.

2. Just watch the fish...scare off slow ones if you want and use reveal fish school on speedy ones. This may take a bit longer BUT there is a really cool pay-off if you get extra lucky...this is also the location of the Epic fish GoldFin-ger! He is rank 2 FIRE and moves like a crazy thing (he's probably looking for another Goldfin-ger to be his bestie...but his quest never ends as he's always alone!). Epic fish are not always even there so if you see a very crazy fire fish catch him too.

Use a rank 2 lure (or above). This will give you a better chance of catching him. Remember he is rank 2 storm, speedy and usually small!

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
PS.

Sorry to bombard you with replies lol...I forgot to say that you get the winnow rank 2 spell from doing the Mooshu fishing quest, during which you have to catch an origami fish. If you are doing a quest to catch it then you will be rewarded with it at the end (all the fish you have to catch are rank 2), if not, see if you can grab the quest from Ryoshi in Jade Palace

Survivor
May 24, 2012
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 21, 2018 wrote:
PS.

Sorry to bombard you with replies lol...I forgot to say that you get the winnow rank 2 spell from doing the Mooshu fishing quest, during which you have to catch an origami fish. If you are doing a quest to catch it then you will be rewarded with it at the end (all the fish you have to catch are rank 2), if not, see if you can grab the quest from Ryoshi in Jade Palace
No worries, you've been very helpful!

But you still make it sound so much easier than it's been for me. :( I just tried doing the winnow storm fish and reveal rank 1 strategy you told me about, but rank 1 fish were the only ones there!

Is there a fishing spot in Jade Palace I'm missing or something? The only two I know of are the really tricky one around the Moodha statue in the centre of the palace and the second one by the water dojo.

Survivor
May 24, 2012
Well I see my first post still hasn't come through yet. x3 Grr!

But I have awesome news, Victoria! I did have that little issue with them all being rank 1 fish the first time I tried, but I logged out for a few hours to let the fish respawn and when I came back, I FINALLY caught the Origami fish! :D

I'm not sure what you find so satisfying about it. :P (No offense) But the satisfaction for me definitely came from the fact that it took me so long to catch it. They certainly are an elusive fish!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Could be a coincidence but it seemed like the fish refreshed at the start of the hour. So if it is close to the start of the hour, maybe try then a few times.

I'd winnow for school.

Survivor
May 24, 2012
SparkleTude on Nov 23, 2018 wrote:
Could be a coincidence but it seemed like the fish refreshed at the start of the hour. So if it is close to the start of the hour, maybe try then a few times.

I'd winnow for school.
That's just what I did, SparkleTude. x3 I really like your name BTW!

And sorry that you missed my other post, but I'd call this topic resolved now.

You can close it now if you'd like, mods!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SkyPony2017 on Nov 23, 2018 wrote:
Well I see my first post still hasn't come through yet. x3 Grr!

But I have awesome news, Victoria! I did have that little issue with them all being rank 1 fish the first time I tried, but I logged out for a few hours to let the fish respawn and when I came back, I FINALLY caught the Origami fish! :D

I'm not sure what you find so satisfying about it. :P (No offense) But the satisfaction for me definitely came from the fact that it took me so long to catch it. They certainly are an elusive fish!
Woohoo! Congratulations!

PS. I have no idea why I find it so satisfying to catch it either...I'm just a weirdo about some things and can not fathem it myself...like being unable to get rid of goose tree seeds because planting them lets us see the cute chicks! I'm a complete dafty on some things haha

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
SkyPony2017 on Nov 24, 2018 wrote:
That's just what I did, SparkleTude. x3 I really like your name BTW!

And sorry that you missed my other post, but I'd call this topic resolved now.

You can close it now if you'd like, mods!
Hi SkyPony

You wrote that you caught the fish on the same day that I wrote my tips to catch the fish. So, neither post had been posted to the topic yet, because of the 24 hour hold ;)

Glad you caught it.

I like your name too.