Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help with getting a Dragon Pet in green with res.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 08, 2018
I am NOT asking for a hand-out... though I would be immensely grateful.

What I AM asking for, is help figuring this whole pet-thing out, because I have to say... this is one of the most complicated, convoluted, multi-layered systems I have seen in a game for a long time and it would take me days or week to research all of the information I need... so I figured it would be easier just asking people that live and breath this pet-thing.

Now, first I figured I should explain WHY I want something this specific.

It's simple... My Wife's character is a green dragon. That's it. That's the entire reason I want a green dragon and only that.

As for the build, I am running a general-resistance Ice wizard (going for unseen lord's chilled armour down the road... decided against starfrost for the power-pip chance and the pierce-resist), so I want a pet with that ability...
Aside from the general Resistance ability, I would appreciate balance (or less decirably, life resistances) on top of that since I only have the tower shield for those while I have regular shields for everything else. (also because earthquake strips defenses)

I also know that spritely isn't really that good, but since Delenia likes to play healers, it would be very in-character for her to have it. (this is actually the reason my second school is life... going for a 'ice-spells are mine, life spells hers' -kind of thing.)

I don't really require like, max stats... I will role with the best I can get away with. Though the higher the limit the better, that's for sure!

So here's the question: Is this possible? If yes, how do I get this? What do I need to do?
Thank you in advance.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure I totally understand your goal. Just a green dragon? If you go in the building (upon entry to pavilion turn right) where they sell pet jewels, the other guy sells dragons and if I remember right, you can choose your color. Someone correct me if that's wrong. As for stats I figure why should I run around here without any power. Petmaster Victoria always says not to worry too much about resist so I don't. I do, however, try to max my critical level as much as possible. When you go to the kiosk to hatch look for a pet similar to yours. Then when you're looking through the other dragons (in your school) look for one that has the most round shields and the ones with the wands that look like sparklers. So let's say you find another dragon that shows 4 shields on it's talent list, then you add up those talent numbers. Critical strike +31, xxxxxxx +29 and so on. The pet with the highest total is the one I hatch with. It works. My death possum has a combined critical number of +112. That helps in a duel. You don't say what level you are so I don't know if you're crafting. Your crafted gear can help you with critical numbers.

Have fun and good luck
Christina Soulshard lvl 64 Death

Survivor
Nov 08, 2018
colocrys on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:
I'm not sure I totally understand your goal. Just a green dragon? If you go in the building (upon entry to pavilion turn right) where they sell pet jewels, the other guy sells dragons and if I remember right, you can choose your color. Someone correct me if that's wrong. As for stats I figure why should I run around here without any power. Petmaster Victoria always says not to worry too much about resist so I don't. I do, however, try to max my critical level as much as possible. When you go to the kiosk to hatch look for a pet similar to yours. Then when you're looking through the other dragons (in your school) look for one that has the most round shields and the ones with the wands that look like sparklers. So let's say you find another dragon that shows 4 shields on it's talent list, then you add up those talent numbers. Critical strike +31, xxxxxxx +29 and so on. The pet with the highest total is the one I hatch with. It works. My death possum has a combined critical number of +112. That helps in a duel. You don't say what level you are so I don't know if you're crafting. Your crafted gear can help you with critical numbers.

Have fun and good luck
Christina Soulshard lvl 64 Death
I don't know how to make myself clearer.

That said, the regular Dragon sold is a Balance pet, I am ice school... so you know... wrong school. It's stats are also kind of bad and as far as I have been told, some factor into the resistance values.

Generel resistance get's more usefull as it gets higher, but with a Heartsteel (5Res) and some descent other stuff, you can go up to 30 or higher... which does make a difference as a Ice/Life wizard, since we are tanks and we got the tower shields... also Fire, Storm, Death and Myth shields... Combining that is VERY effective!
But I digress.

Back to the pets, as far as I know, the only ice-school dragon came from the Dragonrider pack which is only available at throwback-tuesdays like... once a year, but I think I can still get it from breeding with somebody with that pet?

I just don't really understand how skills work or how I can actually get them... or what they are even named.

P.S.: currently level 11, but I dedicate about 4-6h every saturday to the game.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Ward pets are great for ice wizards and tanks!

I've put the following pets into the kiosk:

Queen Bear (Tiger - found under balance pets): 7 wards, proof, defy and enfeeble.
Manifested talents are: Spell-Proof, Spell-Defying, Balance-Ward, Storm-Ward and Death-Ward

Rudy (Tiger - found under balance pets): 7 wards, proof, defy and enfeeble.
Manifested talents are: Spell-Proof, Balance-Ward, Storm-Ward, Fire-Ward and Charm-Chopper (maycast enfeeble)

Sir Jasmine (Fulminating Medusa - found under storm pets/hybrids): 7 wards, proof, defy and fortify.
Manifested talents are: Spell-Proof, Spell-Defying, Balance-Ward, Storm-Ward and Fire-Ward

Lord Midnight (Fulminating Medusa - found under storm pets/hybrids): 7 wards, proof, defy and fortify.
Manifested talents are: Spell-Proof, Balance-Ward, Storm-Ward, Fire-Ward and Fearless Fortifier (maycast fortify)

Choose either the fulminating medusa pool or the tiger pool. Don't mix and match the different pools or you might gain both the epic talents at the bottom of the pool and lose something more important.

Choose which pet you'll hatch with then use your green dragon.
1. Did you get a dragon? No = hatch again; yes = go to number 2
2. Did the stats go up at all on any of the bars? Yes = train to adult; No = go to number 3
3. Did the pool get closer to matching to kiosk pet? Yes = train to adult; No = (no stats or pool change) hatch again

Repeat until you have stats you're happy with and the full pool on a dragon! Hatch with the kiosk pet again so you have 2 dragons you're happy with at adult.

Hatch the 2 dragons together (stats, pool and body type will stay the same for all babies) and train the baby all the way, rehatching and training a new baby if it fails. As Proof is so essential on a ward pet I rehatch if it has not manifested by ancient...it's not worth the snacks and energy taking the chance of it failing to get it (unless you have a proof jewel available).

Ask anything else you need to know, I hope this helps!

Survivor
Nov 08, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:

Queen Bear (Tiger - found under balance pets): 7 wards, proof, defy and enfeeble.
Manifested talents are: Spell-Proof, Spell-Defying, Balance-Ward, Storm-Ward and Death-Ward

Manifested talents are: Spell-Proof, Balance-Ward, Storm-Ward, Fire-Ward and Charm-Chopper (maycast enfeeble)

Sir Jasmine (Fulminating Medusa - found under storm pets/hybrids): 7 wards, proof, defy and fortify.
Manifested talents are: Spell-Proof, Spell-Defying, Balance-Ward, Storm-Ward and Fire-Ward

Lord Midnight (Fulminating Medusa - found under storm pets/hybrids): 7 wards, proof, defy and fortify.
Manifested talents are: Spell-Proof, Balance-Ward, Storm-Ward, Fire-Ward and Fearless Fortifier (maycast fortify)

Choose either the fulminating medusa pool or the tiger pool. Don't mix and match the different pools or you might gain both the epic talents at the bottom of the pool and lose something more important.

2. Did the stats go up at all on any of the bars? Yes = train to adult; No = go to number 3
3. Did the pool get closer to matching to kiosk pet? Yes = train to adult; No = (no stats or pool change) hatch again

Repeat until you have stats you're happy with and the full pool on a dragon! Hatch with the kiosk pet again so you have 2 dragons you're happy with at adult.

Hatch the 2 dragons together (stats, pool and body type will stay the same for all babies) and train the baby all the way, rehatching and training a new baby if it fails. As Proof is so essential on a ward pet I rehatch if it has not manifested by ancient...it's not worth the snacks and energy taking the chance of it failing to get it (unless you have a proof jewel available).

That's... very nice... and it definitively helps.

I just... need to do some homework here...

First I need to find this Kiosk that is mentioned everywhere... I didn't see it on my tour of the pet pavillon... gotta take another look.

As for choosing one or the other... I guess I will just flip a coin... or look up what those abilities actually do...

Also, I guess I am going to use a balance-school dragon then, since none of yours are the ice-school dragon?

Does Sir Jasmine have Fearless Fortifier? You listed her as having 7 wards including fortify or are fortify and maycast fortify two different skills? Also, which stats affect which abilities and what stat-numbers should I be shooting for given that Dragons are so low on the base-value?

I guess I will try to get Spell-proof, spell-Defying and Balance-Ward from Sir Jasmine.
Fire and Storm would be alright, but not that problematic for me.

This wasn't QUITE the 'Pets for dummies' guide I was hoping for, but it's certainly a big help!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
DraculJOSHI on Nov 21, 2018 wrote:
That's... very nice... and it definitively helps.

I just... need to do some homework here...

First I need to find this Kiosk that is mentioned everywhere... I didn't see it on my tour of the pet pavillon... gotta take another look.

As for choosing one or the other... I guess I will just flip a coin... or look up what those abilities actually do...

Also, I guess I am going to use a balance-school dragon then, since none of yours are the ice-school dragon?

Does Sir Jasmine have Fearless Fortifier? You listed her as having 7 wards including fortify or are fortify and maycast fortify two different skills? Also, which stats affect which abilities and what stat-numbers should I be shooting for given that Dragons are so low on the base-value?

I guess I will try to get Spell-proof, spell-Defying and Balance-Ward from Sir Jasmine.
Fire and Storm would be alright, but not that problematic for me.

This wasn't QUITE the 'Pets for dummies' guide I was hoping for, but it's certainly a big help!
I'm sorry you're disappointed with my response...just as well I wasn't attempting to write a 'Pets for dummies guide' in under 2000 character. I answered your questions and offered unlimited hatches with 4 max stat, clean pool, ward pets for you to choose from and gave a detailed description of how to achieve your goals as outlined in your first post. Colocrys had already specified where to obtain the green dragon pet so I didn't see the need to reiterate it and your response was still in moderation when I wrote mine. I also clarified that ward pets are good for ice and tanks because Colocrys had mistakenly taken some previous advice re: damage/crit for storm and fire wizards, as general advice instead of school specific.

I'm really not sure what else you expected or hoped for from the first post, but I'll try to answer some of the additional things you have brought up.

1. The kiosk is in Pet Pavilion to the right as you're facing the Hatchery doors.
2. Colocrys already told you the best place to get a green dragon. You've since said that you want it to be ice school. Of the 900+ pets in game I literally don't know of a green dragon that is ice school. Ice school has the aqua dragon, vigilant dragon, fragmented dragon, armor dragon, cerulean dragon, royal dragon, shardtail dragon, azure dragon, blue dragon, indigo dragon and glacier dragon - but none of them are green and as far as I know, they can't be dyed. If you're referring to a specific pet you need to name it if we're to help you source it.

CONT...

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
...CONT...

3. I named the bottom epics both as the spell and the talent respectively to make sure you understood what they were. There are only 10 talents per pool, so yes fortify, maycast fortify and fearless fortifier all refer to one talent; enfeeble, maycast enfeeble and charm chopper all refer to one talent.
4. The 7 wards are ALL the wards in game - one for each school. If you make this pool you can make ANY combo you want.
5. Go for max stats, you've been offered max stat pets with clean pools, all talents stipulated, for unlimited hatches...you said in your first post 'the higher the limit the better'. It's your first pet and different jewels will respond to different bars...this is an opportunity to make a suitable hatcher for subsequent pets as well as a good pet. Obviously I am going to say 'max'...if you can't be bothered with that then hover over the bars and decide what you want...it takes a second in game to see this info, but I will never 'recommend' less than max.
6. Fortify or enfeeble...sure 'flip a coin'...or maybe 'look up what those abilities do'...which is what everyone else does...I've even said the name of the spells they cast and given the pet talent name.

'I guess I will try to get Spell-proof, spell-defying and Balance Ward from Sir Jasmine. Fire and Storm would be alright, but not that problematic for me' ~ I guess going through over 400 max stat, clean pool pets at mega/ultra, choosing a selection I think you might like, moving them to get them into the kiosk and making a detailed helpful response promptly may be being slightly under-valued...but I'm glad other people reading this may get some nice advice and I hope you do too

Good luck with your pet...questing time for me!

Survivor
Nov 08, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 23, 2018 wrote:
I'm sorry you're disappointed with my response...just as well I wasn't attempting to write a 'Pets for dummies guide' in under 2000 character. I answered your questions and offered unlimited hatches with 4 max stat, clean pool, ward pets for you to choose from and gave a detailed description of how to achieve your goals as outlined in your first post. Colocrys had already specified where to obtain the green dragon pet so I didn't see the need to reiterate it and your response was still in moderation when I wrote mine. I also clarified that ward pets are good for ice and tanks because Colocrys had mistakenly taken some previous advice re: damage/crit for storm and fire wizards, as general advice instead of school specific.

I'm really not sure what else you expected or hoped for from the first post, but I'll try to answer some of the additional things you have brought up.

1. The kiosk is in Pet Pavilion to the right as you're facing the Hatchery doors.
2. Colocrys already told you the best place to get a green dragon. You've since said that you want it to be ice school. Of the 900+ pets in game I literally don't know of a green dragon that is ice school. Ice school has the aqua dragon, vigilant dragon, fragmented dragon, armor dragon, cerulean dragon, royal dragon, shardtail dragon, azure dragon, blue dragon, indigo dragon and glacier dragon - but none of them are green and as far as I know, they can't be dyed. If you're referring to a specific pet you need to name it if we're to help you source it.

CONT...
I was in no way dissapointed! Please don't interpret my answer that way.

It just wasn't what I expected.

There is a difference.

ah, none of those pets can be dyed? See, that's something I didn't know. Had hoped to get an armor dragon and dye it, but if that's not possible at all, then yes, I will go with the weak standard Dragon instead and... make it work as best as I can.

Also... I just noticed that I will need to grind quite a bit of... Gold... for the Kiosk...

Didn't... expect that to cost me so much... just thought that you meet up with somebody and do it together and it's basically free or cheap, just takes a lot of time.

Anyway it's saturday so I will put 4h-6h hours into the game today. Gonna get me that Dragon. ^^

Survivor
Nov 08, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 23, 2018 wrote:
...CONT...

3. I named the bottom epics both as the spell and the talent respectively to make sure you understood what they were. There are only 10 talents per pool, so yes fortify, maycast fortify and fearless fortifier all refer to one talent; enfeeble, maycast enfeeble and charm chopper all refer to one talent.
4. The 7 wards are ALL the wards in game - one for each school. If you make this pool you can make ANY combo you want.
5. Go for max stats, you've been offered max stat pets with clean pools, all talents stipulated, for unlimited hatches...you said in your first post 'the higher the limit the better'. It's your first pet and different jewels will respond to different bars...this is an opportunity to make a suitable hatcher for subsequent pets as well as a good pet. Obviously I am going to say 'max'...if you can't be bothered with that then hover over the bars and decide what you want...it takes a second in game to see this info, but I will never 'recommend' less than max.
6. Fortify or enfeeble...sure 'flip a coin'...or maybe 'look up what those abilities do'...which is what everyone else does...I've even said the name of the spells they cast and given the pet talent name.

'I guess I will try to get Spell-proof, spell-defying and Balance Ward from Sir Jasmine. Fire and Storm would be alright, but not that problematic for me' ~ I guess going through over 400 max stat, clean pool pets at mega/ultra, choosing a selection I think you might like, moving them to get them into the kiosk and making a detailed helpful response promptly may be being slightly under-valued...but I'm glad other people reading this may get some nice advice and I hope you do too

Good luck with your pet...questing time for me!
Ah, ok, that cleared a lot of things up.

No, I just don't really understand all of it perfectly... how to explain it... I have the pieces, but like a puzzle... they don't fit together yet, because I am quite new to this.

You misunderstood, when I talked about flipping a coin to decide, it wasn't because I 'couldn't be bothered'... trust, me, I put a LOT of work into games I play... Wizard101 is my saturday-winddown game.
It was actually more related to the fact that I have no idea whether Enfeeble or Fortify is more usefull at endgame... or if one is clearly better against certain PVE than others... or if Enfeeble works better in a group-dynamic while fortify may work better when soloing.

What I am trying to say is... I just haven't the necessary experience to make calls regarding synergies at this point in time.

My confusion with the stats mostly stems from the many ways these have been done in other games and I don't know how they work here.

For example, I used to play a game where Stats always summed up to 100 and 'perfect' stats were [Stats that affect ability] = 85 with the other 15 being in the other 3 stats that didn't matter at the minimum value of 5.

Yet in another game max stats for everything was 300, so 'perfect' stats were 300, 300, 300, 300, 300.

You see... I am just not sure about what 'perfect' stats for pets in this game actually are... or what numbers. I am sorry if I have confused you with my confusion XD

Also, I am REALLY, REALLY gratefull for this help. I am very sorry if I don't come across accordingly.
There have been so many times in other games I didn't get help or I screwed up with the help given and I always value when I do get help and when people are patient with me if I screw up out of pure NOOBischness...

I once played STO and accidentally characterbound mid-tier equipment crafted for me to the wrong character so he had to craft it again... I felt so bad.

Survivor
Nov 08, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:

ok, I found the kiosk... but none of those are in there...

question, does matter in which world/server I am? I usually play on Drake.

Or is it a timed thing? would you mind putting them up again next saturday towards the evening?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
DraculJOSHI on Nov 24, 2018 wrote:
ok, I found the kiosk... but none of those are in there...

question, does matter in which world/server I am? I usually play on Drake.

Or is it a timed thing? would you mind putting them up again next saturday towards the evening?
All of the pets offered are in the kiosk and my first post says where to find them but...

Keep in mind my first response was made before your second, where you said you were level 11 and only play 4-6 hours on a Saturday. I think you'll find only coming in game once a week is very limiting to what you can achieve, especially because of the energy refils, hatch timer reset, resource gathering (snacks and gold) and even gardening will be difficult. I understand you might not be able to change this but if you were able to pop on even just for half an hour each/most days during the week you would have far more resources available to you.

Ordinarily I'd suggest keeping on questing and exploring gardening to boost resources but even with evil magma peas or couch potatoes we'd be looking at the best part of a month for an elder harvest instead of the usual 4-5 days. Hatching once a week will make any pet project take a very long time and even a max level wizard will mega snacks would have difficulty training beyond ancient without using crowns or coming on through the week to use the free energy refils.

If you're only able to be on once a week you'll probably get the most from questing - enjoy the story, journey and cool battles Pets are not essential and once you've got enough gold to hatch pop to the kiosk and find something you like and give it a shot...casual hatching and training can be a lot of fun without the self-imposed pressure of wanting anything too specific. Also try some casual gardening and fishing for fun and do the crafting quests (this will allow you to quickly craft gear later instead of having to farm for it, which takes A LOT of time).

There are loads of fun things to do even when time is limited...the Spiral awaits with so many adventures for you to enjoy! Happy questing!

Survivor
Nov 08, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 25, 2018 wrote:
All of the pets offered are in the kiosk and my first post says where to find them but...

Keep in mind my first response was made before your second, where you said you were level 11 and only play 4-6 hours on a Saturday. I think you'll find only coming in game once a week is very limiting to what you can achieve, especially because of the energy refils, hatch timer reset, resource gathering (snacks and gold) and even gardening will be difficult. I understand you might not be able to change this but if you were able to pop on even just for half an hour each/most days during the week you would have far more resources available to you.

Ordinarily I'd suggest keeping on questing and exploring gardening to boost resources but even with evil magma peas or couch potatoes we'd be looking at the best part of a month for an elder harvest instead of the usual 4-5 days. Hatching once a week will make any pet project take a very long time and even a max level wizard will mega snacks would have difficulty training beyond ancient without using crowns or coming on through the week to use the free energy refils.

If you're only able to be on once a week you'll probably get the most from questing - enjoy the story, journey and cool battles Pets are not essential and once you've got enough gold to hatch pop to the kiosk and find something you like and give it a shot...casual hatching and training can be a lot of fun without the self-imposed pressure of wanting anything too specific. Also try some casual gardening and fishing for fun and do the crafting quests (this will allow you to quickly craft gear later instead of having to farm for it, which takes A LOT of time).

There are loads of fun things to do even when time is limited...the Spiral awaits with so many adventures for you to enjoy! Happy questing!
I am sorry, I may have given you the wrong idea regarding my gaming habits.

Let me try to explain myself a bit better.

Just because I only play saturdays at the moment, doesn't mean I only play on saturdays at all times.
You see, I make Let's Plays on youtube and between the day I finish recording one game and when I have to do research for the next one, a long time passes. In that time I play whatever I want, so once I finish the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, I have time till Smash Ultimate comes out to play more wizard101.

I am also waiting for my friend Sirius to resolve his memory-issues with his computer so that we can play together, so I am taking it kinda slow for the moment.

Also, I play these games for a long time... I played The secret world since its launch, so about 5 years... I quit because of the whole 'Legends'-F2P relaunch that basically changed the entire game, including some of the lore and story... not saying it's worse, it might legitimately be better... but it's not the same.

After that I played STO with a friend until... we had a very serious falling-out involving death-threats... haven't been able to look at the game without thinking of him since.

That's when I remembered that I used to play this game before switching to The Secret World... regrettably, my old account was gone, but I wasn't very far to begin with. (I had a F2P account and just about cleared Wizard City and went to... Krokotopia I think)

So yeah, I am planing on playing this game for the next 5 years at least... if not decades... so don't worry about me taking it slow ^^

As I said before, I want a green dragon pet because my wive's character is a green dragon... that's it... I am just trying make it as usefull as possible by getting a really good one.

I also plan on getting a pegasus steed because I can't drive so a friend drives me around a lot and her character is a Pegasus named 'Star'... so it seems appropriate.

also a Heartsteel.