Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ban Jade gear in Pvp?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
If we were to ban Jade gear from PvP, it would fix a bunch of things Kingsisle said they would eventually fix. Including the Heal Spam strategy. The Heal Spam strategy has become one of the most annoying and worst strategies besides from the old juju spam strategy. It's become the same thing, hit, heal, etc. I think its time that Wizard looks into banning jade gear from PvP, after all it seems that Wizards deserve this harsh act as they use it too often in PvP.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I have a great idea for PvP.

Ban ALL gear from the arena.

All wizards are striped of everything except their decks. Then all wizards are equal.

How does that sound?

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Area51Alien on Nov 12, 2018 wrote:
I have a great idea for PvP.

Ban ALL gear from the arena.

All wizards are striped of everything except their decks. Then all wizards are equal.

How does that sound?

Steven Ghoststalker
Yep, or they all get the same base gear so they're not waiting forever for enough power pips for higher level spells

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
I've changed my mind about banning jade gear ENTIRELY from PvP. Maybe reducing the overall status from the Jade gear, or limiting the jade gear usage to Legendary and below ( level 60 and below.) Most Legendary Jades don't have Immunity, therefore casting Shriek grants them almost 0% resist against max levels.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 12, 2018 wrote:
Yep, or they all get the same base gear so they're not waiting forever for enough power pips for higher level spells
True, but that would DENY the point of having PvP in the first place.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Epic Mrman67 on Nov 14, 2018 wrote:
That depends whether you see PvP as an opportunity to be the best through the gear you've got or the strategy you use. I expect many players see it as a combination, but for those who see it as predominantly about strategy then having a gear table to choose from for a match would allow for decisions in both areas with a level playing field, since you'd all be choosing from the same gear options.

One of the big gripes people seem to have is mismatched battles - lower level wizards don't have the same gear or spells available and lower rank wizards can't buy the same PvP gear. Your point was to ban jade gear...but jade gear was a response to low rank wizards complaining about getting pitted against people with PvP gear that was still inaccessible to them.

The way I see PvP is that it should be a battle of strategy, with the only advantage being experience.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Epic Mrman67 on Nov 14, 2018 wrote:
For all the complaining on these boards I see from PvPers I'm not so sure that wouldn't a bad thing.

Every time KI makes new spells, creates new gear, or adds a new pet, someone invariably chimes in with how said new item "Ruins PvP"

*sigh*

Just my two cents

S Gs 128

Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
Are you serious lol? These shadow spells are insanely powerful and because of us Jades, we help protect and revive our team from a potentially quick and unfair game based on who goes first and who gets spammed with shadow pips more. Also the fact that you're trying to get gear people have literally spent tons of money to get makes it even worse! I remember spending money on having a critical set for my old storm only to have Kingsisle change it in pvp. I understand that its annoying to vs jades but they are not unbeatable, fix your strategy and try something new.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Area51Alien on Nov 14, 2018 wrote:
For all the complaining on these boards I see from PvPers I'm not so sure that wouldn't a bad thing.

Every time KI makes new spells, creates new gear, or adds a new pet, someone invariably chimes in with how said new item "Ruins PvP"

*sigh*

Just my two cents

S Gs 128
LOL. To change the subject a little. After reading your post about complaining, I had to laugh. I noticed it too how people complain about how easy some battles are in previous worlds including Empyrea part 1. Kingsisle listened and made Medulla very difficult before it was nerfed and people complained about how hard it was. Kingsilse made The Storm Titan super difficult just like Hardcore game players want certain battle to be. Now we are coplaining that it's too hard. Same goes wth new spells; too weak or too op when someone casts it on us. Yet it's ok when we cast it on someone else. Can someone please shine a light on this??

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 15, 2018 wrote:
LOL. To change the subject a little. After reading your post about complaining, I had to laugh. I noticed it too how people complain about how easy some battles are in previous worlds including Empyrea part 1. Kingsisle listened and made Medulla very difficult before it was nerfed and people complained about how hard it was. Kingsilse made The Storm Titan super difficult just like Hardcore game players want certain battle to be. Now we are coplaining that it's too hard. Same goes wth new spells; too weak or too op when someone casts it on us. Yet it's ok when we cast it on someone else. Can someone please shine a light on this??
To shine a light...

For every PvP match there is a winner and a loser. Winners are happy, losers are not. Players think through why they lost more than how they won. They consider the many variables - school, level, rank, gear, pets, strategy...but for some players they put more thought into how the other player should be changed so they can retain their same gear, strategy etc and win, than they do about how they need to change their variables. When these players are also quite vocal players, we all hear it!

It's impossible to keep the beauty of difference while making it a 100% level playing field. The base mechanics of the game means someone must go first, even in turn-based. The base mechanics involve RNG. If we make PvP 'fair' it would be dull as dishwater! It would kill 99% of the variety that makes it interesting and fun...then we'd have everyone complaining 'PvP is boring', 'we need more variables', 'let us use [insert spell, pet, gear etc here]'.

I can't find ANY MMO that has PvP that doesn't have people complaining 'PvP is broken' etc. Every update and addition changes the variables again...so the debate continues! The major issue with 'the debate' is that it is so often not expressed in the spirit of discussion. Instead of it being a respectful sharing of ideas and opinions, it often starts or becomes 'I am right, these are facts not opinions, if you don't agree you're stupid and obviously don't understand'. There is no reason for PvP discussion to become unpleasant and it's counter-productive in dealing with the rare occasions where something really is game-breaking...trying to identify changes that would actually be useful is like looking for a needle in a pile of needles

There will always be complaints that PvP is broken because for every winner there is also a loser...and it's not a nice feeling to lose over and over.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Maybe it's because I'm old, but I do see m ore complaints than gratitude just about everywhere W101 is no exception.

I will admit that I have complained about things within W101 but I try not make it a habit. (*cough* Scion Spells *cough*)

But chalk up the complaints to the fact that KI has made a very popular game that appeals to kids, adults, gamers, and casual users. KI does a MARVELOUS job of balancing game play among their diverse user base. "This fight is too easy", "This fight is too hard", "This spell ruins PvP", "This drop rate sucks"

And When KI "fixes" those complaints it usually results in more complaints.

Why?

Because human beings don't say a word when they are comfortable. If someone does a good job, you take it for granted. I own and operate a small business. Very seldom do I hear a compliment when I've done a good job. Oh do I hear about it when something goes wrong.

All that said, I repeat my suggestion. If some wizards having a certain piece of gear "ruins" PvP then remove ALL gear from PvP.

S Gs

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 12, 2018 wrote:
I would LOVE this! Have wanted something like that for years, like "one design" racing. Everyone gets the same stats, based on level and class -- a true test of skill. For example, the level 50 elixir kit.

As far as Jade goes, it was a much bigger problem years ago when we didn't have much pierce or crit available. Shrike and the newer gear offset resist and most turtle strategies

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Not sure where you're at atm, but these posts are based around PVP and not PVE. Point is KI is not monitoring pvp complaints because it's obvious these people don't even pvp, even and if they do there is a little bit of favoritism going around a cough* cough* ice fire balance oh did I just say that? anyway, new gears release with high damage vs resist comes with the price of pay to win. If you're not geared up right and don't have the right strategy with deck luck tc training etc why bother let's just make everything spam-able.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
angellifeheart on Nov 17, 2018 wrote:
Not sure where you're at atm, but these posts are based around PVP and not PVE. Point is KI is not monitoring pvp complaints because it's obvious these people don't even pvp, even and if they do there is a little bit of favoritism going around a cough* cough* ice fire balance oh did I just say that? anyway, new gears release with high damage vs resist comes with the price of pay to win. If you're not geared up right and don't have the right strategy with deck luck tc training etc why bother let's just make everything spam-able.
'Point is KI is not monitoring pvp complaints because it's obvious these people don't even pvp...' I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are 'these people' relating to KI or the people talking about PvP?

If it's about KI: KI does listen to the PvP complaints/discussions and have made multiple changes throughout the years in direct response to the community.

If it's about commentators: We don't need to have caught every fish in the game to be allowed to voice an opinion about fishing; opinions on PvP should not require someone be a pro for their opinions to be respectfully heard. This is even more relevant than ever now that PvP is an integral part of crafting...not to mention the long-standing issue of 'not enough participants'.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
angellifeheart on Nov 17, 2018 wrote:
My post was more than less directly talking to Area51Alien not to othersabout the way people in general are complaning about what he mentioned in his post. It reminds me of a say; " You can dish it out but you can't take it?" and a lot of game players are doing that. Not just in PVP. No offense to You. . That"s were I was "atm". I know these posts are about PVPers, but since this topic isn't in the PVP section and Area51Alien does not have a personal email in the game,I Quoted him istead and said: to change the subject a little,"

Correction: KI was and still is monitoring PVP complaints but little can they do to make improvements right away without those changes interfering with PVE. I don't believe KI is playing favorites on any schools. Each school was designed for it's own purpose: Main hitters (power hitters): Storm and Fire. Secondary and supporter to main hitters: Ice, Myth and Death. Team supporters: Balance Death and Life. along with all the types of gear given accordingly. I know PVP is different than PVE but how can you have a perfect balance in PVP without messing up PVE vice versa. I hope that answered your questions.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 14, 2018 wrote:
That depends whether you see PvP as an opportunity to be the best through the gear you've got or the strategy you use. I expect many players see it as a combination, but for those who see it as predominantly about strategy then having a gear table to choose from for a match would allow for decisions in both areas with a level playing field, since you'd all be choosing from the same gear options.

One of the big gripes people seem to have is mismatched battles - lower level wizards don't have the same gear or spells available and lower rank wizards can't buy the same PvP gear. Your point was to ban jade gear...but jade gear was a response to low rank wizards complaining about getting pitted against people with PvP gear that was still inaccessible to them.

The way I see PvP is that it should be a battle of strategy, with the only advantage being experience.
You do have a good point. I too think PVP should be about a wizard's personal stratedy not though the gear you use.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I think stripping gear or just have basic gear and banning certain spells in the arena will bring balance to PVP but may not be perfact balance

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 18, 2018 wrote:
My post was more than less directly talking to Area51Alien not to othersabout the way people in general are complaning about what he mentioned in his post. It reminds me of a say; " You can dish it out but you can't take it?" and a lot of game players are doing that. Not just in PVP. No offense to You. . That"s were I was "atm". I know these posts are about PVPers, but since this topic isn't in the PVP section and Area51Alien does not have a personal email in the game,I Quoted him istead and said: to change the subject a little,"

Correction: KI was and still is monitoring PVP complaints but little can they do to make improvements right away without those changes interfering with PVE. I don't believe KI is playing favorites on any schools. Each school was designed for it's own purpose: Main hitters (power hitters): Storm and Fire. Secondary and supporter to main hitters: Ice, Myth and Death. Team supporters: Balance Death and Life. along with all the types of gear given accordingly. I know PVP is different than PVE but how can you have a perfect balance in PVP without messing up PVE vice versa. I hope that answered your questions.
Yay, I've been quoted.

I can mark that off my bucket list.

But back to the subject at hand. If I had a dollar for every "This ruins PvP" post I've seen on these boards, I would have been able to buy enough crowns to get the mount.

For a game we all love, we do tend to see more complaints than compliments.

S Gs

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Area51Alien on Nov 19, 2018 wrote:
Yay, I've been quoted.

I can mark that off my bucket list.

But back to the subject at hand. If I had a dollar for every "This ruins PvP" post I've seen on these boards, I would have been able to buy enough crowns to get the mount.

For a game we all love, we do tend to see more complaints than compliments.

S Gs
Not me. I'm good to go with mounts. But I guess I can always use more on furture accounts . If I had a dollor for every "This spell" or "This school is op" post, it would buy me a year membership . I do agree PVP needs a major attention. The question is how. Oops! now I just said it. There's a dollor for you.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 18, 2018 wrote:
'Point is KI is not monitoring pvp complaints because it's obvious these people don't even pvp...' I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are 'these people' relating to KI or the people talking about PvP?

If it's about KI: KI does listen to the PvP complaints/discussions and have made multiple changes throughout the years in direct response to the community.

If it's about commentators: We don't need to have caught every fish in the game to be allowed to voice an opinion about fishing; opinions on PvP should not require someone be a pro for their opinions to be respectfully heard. This is even more relevant than ever now that PvP is an integral part of crafting...not to mention the long-standing issue of 'not enough participants'.
It took nearly 4 years for KI to actually see the effect of bad juju spamming 3 more years until they decide to nerf loremaster then abominable weaver and possibly jades. K I is not resolving around pvp hence why its optional there more concern for accumulating money. That's is the purpose of this game. It seems to delve down to how much they can make a profit than to realize the contents of spells designs are not matching up with balancing what seems to be a very unbalancing mode.