Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Solo only quests to be changed...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 16, 2013
Hey all,

I'm interested to see if others are feeling the same way. I have sent off a request to contact support as well but here goes nothing.

Basically, I've been questing a lot lately. And every time without fail I've been hit by these "Solo only" instances. I can kinda understand for school spells and whatever. But I have recently just started Khrysalis, and oh my god the first part of this is a mess. I defeated the spiders quite easily, but then when going up a floor, I was faced with a 15,000 health boss, with 2 of these spiders again. It's the same with Azteca, to unlock the Sun, Star and Moon obelisks, these fights are completely outnumbered and I've done nothing but struggle.

I wanted to see if others felt the same way, and also to suggest that we can make it a team-up option so that people can enjoy their style of playing. If you want to solo then great, I applaud you because I'm honestly terrible at it (unless I'm playing at Death character).

Kinda a rant also so I'm going to stop playing for a bit but please KI can we take this on board for the future please.

Thanks

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I have always soloed. Just my personal style. I struggled also until another wizard (and Star Edward!) told me about the Sharpen Blade spell. That one spell made a huge difference in who I could face alone. I bought new gear focused on Crit and blades. Scrounged for as many blades for my deck as I could find - pet, Balance, ring, etc. After that, where I had to face a boss, I use henchmen. I go to wiki and read about what this boss may do in a duel and plan accordingly. Sometimes I'm only running interference for the three I hired, but it works. If he's going to cast Ra every three rounds block him. Some of these guys will trounce you if you don't do damage to them every round. Belloc!! I loaded up with one pip spells and hit him every round and let the other three give him his due. In Khrysalis in the fights on the ship, even with my henchmen I struggled. I bought potions for more life, pip chance, that kind of thing. Buy them for a half hour, just to get you past that duel. Sometimes you just need a little boost. I don't remember seeing solo only duels. Maybe because I would do that anyway. My strongest wizard is my Fire, then my Ice. The game is designed to test you, not only in dueling , but to see if you can figure out a way to improve. I doubt the "solo only" thing will change but you can. You can do it.

Sydney Skyblood, lvl 102 Fire

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
My Life Wizzard is just getting ready to head to Empyrea.

I can say that with the help of a hired minion or two and Monsterology, I have successfully beat every solo instance to date. As Colocrys stated if you get beat the first time, do some research and adjust your deck accordingly

I would recommend getting a deck you can tinker with and keep your main deck intact.

Steven125
Christopher12
The Ghoststalker Brothers

Defender
Mar 12, 2018
Katherine Lightgem on Oct 16, 2018 wrote:
Hey all,

I'm interested to see if others are feeling the same way. I have sent off a request to contact support as well but here goes nothing.

Basically, I've been questing a lot lately. And every time without fail I've been hit by these "Solo only" instances. I can kinda understand for school spells and whatever. But I have recently just started Khrysalis, and oh my god the first part of this is a mess. I defeated the spiders quite easily, but then when going up a floor, I was faced with a 15,000 health boss, with 2 of these spiders again. It's the same with Azteca, to unlock the Sun, Star and Moon obelisks, these fights are completely outnumbered and I've done nothing but struggle.

I wanted to see if others felt the same way, and also to suggest that we can make it a team-up option so that people can enjoy their style of playing. If you want to solo then great, I applaud you because I'm honestly terrible at it (unless I'm playing at Death character).

Kinda a rant also so I'm going to stop playing for a bit but please KI can we take this on board for the future please.

Thanks
Hello Wizard!

Those solo quests you mentioned can be very difficult. I know I have developed some rather odd strategies involving school specific shields and heal spam just to survive them without resorting to purchasing henchmen. If you combine the shield/heal strategy with a good minion you should be able to beat these solo quests. Use the best minion you can get and then while it takes all the heat you can shield, heal and stack up pips to hopefully kill by the time your minion goes down.

If you are really lucky you can get a friend who does Monstrology to make you a really powerful minion from a dungeon like Darkmoor, but even the school one you got in Avalon should do just fine. I hope this helps, don't give up, you can do it!

Cheers,
Nathan Darkhorn

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Questing in Azteca should've taught you how to deal with these quests.

The game has provided numerous instances (often difficult) where there's a team up option, but at times, such as doing our own school quests, we need to tackle these things on our own and use the skills we've learned to surpass these challenges.

Now, in Khrysalis, there will be quite a few solo only instances you'll have to take part in; heck, you may not even be able to find assistance at some of the more difficult instances that aren't even solo; forcing you to head in alone.
However, all is not lost.
Let's review a few tactics:

Use Henchmen - If you've an avail of crowns, use the henchmen; that's why they're there. The henchmen (some of them) are quite useful. If you need additional advice on which are the best, let us know.

Deck - Often times for these solo instances, your deck must be optimum. These instances, you will always be outnumbered; there's no changing that, however, you've powerful spells within your arsenal that can take out multiple enemies at once! Place these powerful AoE's in your deck with the necessary enchants mentioned above to give yourself a great start. Don't be intimidated by what stands before you.
After all is said and done, you'll be the only one left standing!

Strategy - There's no running from these battles, (you can flee but you'll have to return to face the music). Now, the key here is to dispatch the mobs quickly so that the battle returns to a 1V1 with only you and the boss. Blade up, drop a feint on the boss and attack with your AoE. Don't hold back because the enemies aren't holding back against you!
Once you attack, use the next round to start healing (have the boss school shield in the side deck and use it when you see the boss building high amounts of pips).
After you've recuperated, repeat the steps above and attack with a single hit spell this time. The boss will eventually go down.

Nothing too difficult, just requires more planning.
Good Luck.

Survivor
Nov 23, 2014
HINT - Life Amulet - Heal Spells - Shields - Treasure Cards (Mainly blades and traps and heals.)

Try and limit the amount of cards in your deck and then just reshuffle if you need to.

Cheers, Scarlet ShadowStone 125

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Looking at different strategy from Nathan Darkhorn. Using a minion for distraction is good. Up to now I haven't used my minions. What's heal spam?

Sydney Skyblood lvl 103 Fire

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I've never used henchmen and don't think they are necessary. They might be helpful if you can afford them, but even though I could buy them I've always been able to find a way to win without them. These battles are tricky but they're certainly do-able without paying real money!

Every solo battle is a little different and strategies will vary depending on the wizard school you are playing but my basic strategy is usually the same...

1. Defensive while they use up their pips - fortify, tower shields, heal if I'm at risk of dying!
2. Heal
3. Damage, get rid of minions - I have high health and they have low pips, get rid of the minions asap
4. Defensive and heal
5. Again on good health build to defeat boss, heal only if it's urgent, feint when he has low pips - 2 feints

Other tips:

'Farm For First' ~ if you go into battle and are in second position, flee and come back until you are going first!
Pet ~ Use a pet who heals (unless it trigger cheats), fairy friend or energizing battery helps a lot!
If I fail I alter my deck, putting in what I needed and removing things I don't
Usually in solo quests, if you defeat a minion but are then defeated when you return the minion is GONE! We can do these battles in stages if we want, taking them out one by one!
If pips are a problem and they're spamming hits I might use empowerment instead of fortify to use extra pips for heals
TC is your friend! Dark Pact is amazing for non-death wizards dealing with weaknesses! TC feint stacks and only gives 20% on your side of the trap!

You can do this! You can beat the solo instances! Don't lose hope or your self-belief...you're more powerful than you realise

PS. If you need help with a healing pet I'm happy to hatch - I have some that are so full of heals it will probably only take 1 hatch to manifest a heal. I am happy to hatch as much as you want/need.

Colocrys ~ Heal spam is when you (or someone else) uses lots of heals in a short space of time.

GOOD LUCK AND DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Should solo quests remain 100% 'solo'?

I like solo quests and enjoy the challenge...but what about those who hate solo quests and find them overwhelming?

I think we should keep solo quests as solo UNTIL someone has failed it several times (eg 5), then they could have the option of inviting a friend (1 friend, not a full team and not via team up). This would solve the problem of young wizards getting stuck on their questing journey because they have focused their gear and set as support instead of damage, or as a glass canon.

I think this is particularly important for solo instances that are part of the story line.

I know it might sound dramatic, but I can't help but imagine a kid who has set up their wizard to be a strong team player suddenly having to face solo instances to continue their journey. They don't have the pet, gear, spells or strategy for this and failing over and over is frustrating and demoralising. What is worse, is that their questing buddies might get tired of waiting and go on without them. It's hard for them to grit their teeth and keep trying if they feel left behind or inferior.

I think a safety net would be helpful and welcomed for story line solo instances. I don't think my suggestion above makes it 'too easy' or provides a 'lazy' way out; I think it enables someone who struggles solo to not have to face it alone...there is little in the real world we actually have to face alone!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
colocrys on Oct 20, 2018 wrote:
Looking at different strategy from Nathan Darkhorn. Using a minion for distraction is good. Up to now I haven't used my minions. What's heal spam?

Sydney Skyblood lvl 103 Fire
In computer jargon, "spam" always refers to sending or doing something over and over. So 'heal spam' means to heal frequently, often using low-pip spells.

This is actually a good strategy for some schools, especially Life, Ice and Balance. These schools come equipped with high health, great defenses and, in the case of Life and Balance, in-school heals. If they boost their healing ability using gear, then they can get double from healing spells. For example, my Life and Ice wizards typically get 700-800 back on a Fairy, and 500 from a one-pip Pixie!

For other schools such as Fire, Storm and Myth, the heal-spam strategy doesn't work so well. They have to hit hard and fast in order to be successful.

Alia Misthaven

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
Im in Krysalis right now....I think Star Edward has a pretty complete post on suggestions...solo fights can be a little scary......but I use Henchmen !!!....a lot....yes, you have to pay crowns to have them but you can pick the school henchmen you want to fight with you!...thats a plus, as you can choose one that your enemy is weak to..or....just get a Life Henchmen.
I am level 96 Balance and if I dont want to spend a lot of crowns, I will set my deck to "attack" and buy a level 70 Life to help me out....this has helped me Many times!