Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Complimentary secondary schools

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 09, 2011
I know everyone has their own opinions and playing styles so my question is in your opinions what is the most complimentary school for my wizard(s).

I have not played in over 6 years and just got back into playing wiz again I forgot how fun this game truly is.theres been lots of changes since I've been gone but basic gameplay seems to have stayed the same it's a unique game nothing really like it that's why I love it.I stopped playing not because of the game but for other reasons anyway I started playing again the way I left off I had one wizard in all the schools except death when I decided not to renew my membership they are all between level 35 & 37 all trained partially in secondary's not really putting much thought into it the first time around with this weekend ending free buyback training points for members I cleared all my wizards points and am looking to compliment this stable of wizards with good secondary spells.right now I realize I am not too far away from where if it's not my primary school the power schools ex:storm & fire will be a bit wasted with a lot of pips becoming double pips as I level up from here it's all about staying alive and getting the most out of your wizard with spells that compliment your wizard power is nice but sometimes less with more accuracy along with buffs,blades & shields helps more than high power pip eaters as your secondary spell they may look cool and deal a lot of damage but it costs you double your previous pips as you level up.

I know a lot has to do with playing style so let me tell you a bit about mine I don't play much pvp I play it but I am more about playing the game.I like to be able to hold my own soloing as I do that a lot but I also really enjoy helping other wizards out especially wizards who are lower levels than me.I really like helping others on their quests then going about my own politely asking for help as I need it I am always willing to help another wizard out but am also content going on my own for a bit.

So with that being said I bought back all my points and starting setting my wizards this way with the weekend to decide if I like the way my wizards play.

Balance & Life I both trained death to feint along with spirit blades & traps from Niles(I am thinking of training ice for balance not sure yet not sure about what else to train for life)

Myth I have not trained anything yet I'm thinking either life or death with some storm not really sure

Storm I am thinking of pairing either life or death with storm to make up for low health and keep him alive to use his power same goes for fire

Ice is one of my favorite wizards but also the one I am most on the fence about I am thinking death not quite sure though.

I feel good going with death up to feint for both my balance & life wizards the others I am not quite sure about well I have till Sunday to figure it out and try some things that's why I am reaching out to some fellow wizards from the spiral to get some opinions

Thank-you

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
First let me say that training in just one secondary school is waste of training points.

Regardless of what school your wizard is enrolled in, you will find that the most help comes from training as secondary Death to Feint, Life to Satyr, and Ice to Tower Shield.

I would recommend that your wand be from a school other than your primary so that when casting a wand spell you won't set off your traps and blades.

Mind you, these are just suggestions.

The Ghoststalker Brothers
Steven 124
Chris 8

Explorer
Mar 09, 2011
I got the wand thing cover I carry wands from every school to use depending on what kind of battles I am going into.Like you mentioned when looking to learn secondary schools and being careful this time around to spend my training points wisely I am looking at spells that would most compliment my current wizard with A)my playing style and B)which spells would benefit my current the wizard the most.training in the big two power schools if its not your primary I agree is A total waste of training points.You could never use Fire or storm in the upper levels effectively without them being your primary school I would have to guess at about 40 or below they would be rather good as your secondary for some big hits and damage but once you get above level 40 or so they would start being somewhat of a handicap as they cost too many pips to cause the damage they are meant for they are best served as your primary's by the time you are ready to use one of their damaging spells the fight could be almost over in the lower levels its alot easier to do damage very quickly.

I would probably have to say reading various posts with school combinations Life & Death are probably the two best supporting schools with some traps & blades from niles.I know alot of players suggest training in ice for the tower shield but with death or Life as a supporting school is that necessary would I be better off saving my points for the later level's.

As far as my ice wizard goes with all that I am reading probably the best route for me to go is train in either life,death or both already having the tower shield as I get into the higher levels I think my Ice wizard would become quite Tough to kill with a bag full of healing spells and the damage booster from Death.

Thanks again for your opinions

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome back!

As a fellow community member pointed out above, it's not wise training a second school all the way until the final spell at level 42.

Gone are those days.

What you should do is pull from various other schools to compliment and make your primary school a lot better!

Staple spells include up to Feint
Up to Tower Shield
up to Satyr (only on wizards such as and ).

Later in the game, you'll be introduced to a few more schools , & .

focuses on Auras lasting four turns with varying effects depending on the school. (You'll need a few spells from here).
focuses on enchanting spells before its use whether it's more damage, accuracy or healing capabilities. (Will need some spells such as Tough, Giant, Monstrous from here).
focuses on Polymorphing into new creatures for six turns. - It may sound cool, but this school is useless. Avoid it.

Survivor
Sep 26, 2018
I agree with Area51Alien's post above.
The most beneficial results come from spreading yourself into multiple schools regarding Training Points.

I tend to train the following on each Wizard:
Ice - Tower Shield
Life - Satyr
Death - Feint
Balance - Blades/Traps, Reshuffle
Sun - Epic
Star - school specific + other auras such as Amplify or Infallible if you want
Shadow - school specific

You will have a lot of Training Points left over to spend on other minor things such as weaknesses and more!

Explorer
Mar 09, 2011
Thanks guys it's good to be back like you guys suggested I do carry a couple of extra wands around in my backpack especially opposite school wands.

I agree with you guys and learned from playing last time 6 years ago I kind of got a feel for the game really did not think strategy just went in full steam ahead and made some odd pairings and maybe spent my tp's a little foolishly not thinking ahead for when I get to the upper levels.

Training death to Feint is probably one of the few smart choices for a secondary school 7 tp's is a big hit as vampire will probably be rarely used in the higher levels and skeletal pirate even less for 5 pips I could do so much more damage from my main school even if I have to do it in two mores secondary school spells are useless after about level 40 or so that's why storm and fire and great in the beginning of the game but if they are not your primary school it's a waste of tp's to train them even life to satyr is a reach at 7 tp's Ice to tower is 5tp's those would be the only schools I would think about using as secondary.I will get some appropriate blades and traps from niles and a shield from the fairgrounds if I have to.

So at level 35 I have 12 tp's for all my wizards how many more am I going to be earning by the time I get to these other schools.

Last night I started adding secondary spells to 1/2 of my wizards my laptop was a bit glitchy last night real aggravating but any way this is the way I stacked them last night

Balance Trained death to Feint leaves me with 5 tp's

Life Trained death to Feint & purchased spirit blades & traps Leaves me with 3 tp's

Myth Trained death to Feint got spirit blades & traps and storm shield from fairgrounds leaves me with two

My last 3 Ice,fire,storm I will probably start with Feint for all 3 star why did you mention satyr only for wizards such as & just curious

I think I have a better feel & gameplan this time around thanks for the suggestions & opinions it's always appreciated

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
While I haven't kept track of how many TPs I have had at each stage, I can tell you that on my Life wizard I am currently in Mirage, have trained both Ice Shield and Feint. I have trained all the & that benefit Life. I currently have 8 TPs in reserve.

One thing I cannot stress enough. Do the Zeke Quests. 9 times out of 10 you are running past most of the hiding places anyway. That's 15 extra training points by the time you finish Mirage.

Steven 124
Chris 8
The Ghoststalker Bros.

Explorer
Mar 09, 2011
Survivor
Aug 02, 2018
hi I accidentally put skill points on 2 school fire and ice I am in death which one is better?