Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Setting, Pets, and PVP

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 15, 2013
So, I've been complaining about pvp for a while now and haven't gathered a whole lot of feedback. Is everyone really happy with the way pvp is setup or is it just me that's unhappy? I think we need to be able to set for matches. I think you should be able to see who you are competing against and prepare accordingly. I have several pets that I can alter between to help me in a given match if I know who I'm fighting. If I have to leave it all to chance, what's the point in having different ward pets, attack pets, and whatnot, if they'll do me no good in a given match? I have a pet that gives ward on fire, ice, storm, and balance, but that does me no good fighting life, death, or myth. Then I have a pet that gives ward on myth, life, death, and balance, but that does me no good fighting fire, ice, and storm. I also have pets that do damage, but what good is damage if I have no defense against insane bolt, lore spam, or manaburn? Does anyone else agree that you should be able to set for who you are fighting?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Jeremy Firestaff on Sep 18, 2018 wrote:
So, I've been complaining about pvp for a while now and haven't gathered a whole lot of feedback. Is everyone really happy with the way pvp is setup or is it just me that's unhappy? I think we need to be able to set for matches. I think you should be able to see who you are competing against and prepare accordingly. I have several pets that I can alter between to help me in a given match if I know who I'm fighting. If I have to leave it all to chance, what's the point in having different ward pets, attack pets, and whatnot, if they'll do me no good in a given match? I have a pet that gives ward on fire, ice, storm, and balance, but that does me no good fighting life, death, or myth. Then I have a pet that gives ward on myth, life, death, and balance, but that does me no good fighting fire, ice, and storm. I also have pets that do damage, but what good is damage if I have no defense against insane bolt, lore spam, or manaburn? Does anyone else agree that you should be able to set for who you are fighting?
Not sure about regular PvP, but you could essential "set" for the school advantage tournaments. That's where your specialized pets would assist better.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
Careful what you wish for. Would you like it if people you fought set up 100%+ resist against your school? This is possible if you get a chance to set up specifically. People already do it in tournaments.

You have a point that some people go into battle with e.g. 10 reshuffles and just resist and heal and try to outlast opponent until they run out of cards or flee. It would certainly help if you could be prepared for them.

But if you are going to allow people to set up specifically against an opponent, you have to ensure there is no 100% resist or battles will just become too long and frustrating - especially for lower levels that don't have shrike etc.

Defender
Mar 10, 2014
I would quit ranked if this happened, people have immunity sets while still keeping good damage. One of my friends has a set with 95 damage and 141 death resist.

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
I don't see anything wrong with that, Fred Frost. You have a counter to that resist by simply adding convert. If you know going into the match that you may need convert, you can add it. You can then set shield as well so that 95 damage isn't going to help. Being prepared for the wizard you're facing is key to a fair fight. General setup does not prepare you for jade wizards as it is now, does it?

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Jeremy we used to be able to set up for opponent in PvP.
They fixed that due to many disadvantages that it brings.
If setting for PvP was to be allowed I think there should be a max resist cap of about 80 or so and damage of about 100 or so.

The problem with PvP is that KI doesn't really work on it, they are more focused on PvE and leveling aspect of the game rather than PvP. So unless they actually pay attention to how things are and adjust it accordingly by developing new metas and certain changes the PvP will always be unfair and up to chance.

Nicholas Star

Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
This is beyond ridiculous. Setting is bad enough in practice 4v4, if it ever hits ranked the arena will be even more of a ghost town than it already is. You should have a way of defeating every school from second. If you're talking 1v1 I would suggest a 5 may cast pet and put a proof jewel on it. The 5 may casts will be heals: sprite, fairy, sprite queen, healing current, and revitalize. Shield the attacks, your pet will keep you alive. If you don't have proof jewels substitute one of the heals with proof. Everyone gets enough damage and pierce now that you don't need damage pets.

Iridian Swiftsong