Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP then vs now

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 20, 2012
PVP today is...disrespectful. For example, I try to say "good game" at the end of a duel, even if I lose, or got spammed, or pretty much anything bad could happen. Even if you win fair and square, like I did, (I rarely win duels, by the way), you get someone that says, "it wasn't really".

Seriously? Is that what we can expect from PVP now? People who's feelings have been so wounded by a duel that they can't even be respectful enough to say "good game" back to someone who says it first? Now, yes, people who say nothing, yeah, that makes some sense. But people who respond with petty comments like the one I faced are becoming more and more common in the Arena than it used to. There's nothing that I really can do to change this, except to wish everyone who sees this to be kinder and more respectful of their fellow wizards even if you feel you were wronged in a duel.

Cheyenne StormHunter
Level 114

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
I honestly think the high RNG factor in matches takes away the desire to say "good game" after a match. A couple years ago (up until 2013) you would have respect for your opponent for beating you, because if they did it meant they were simply the better player. Nowadays, there isn't a need to respect somebody who got shadow pips when you got none or somebody that made you fizzle with a mantle and then took you out the next turn. I find it hard myself to tell my opponent that he/she is a good player when the only difference between a win and a loss was pure luck on their side.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2009
I strongly agree with this. Nowadays I feel like I can't use certain cards in duels, or else I get called a bad player or that it was unfair. I get that not everyone's the same age, or the same maturity level, but at the end of the day this is just a game. You're supposed to have fun. Me? I am competitive and don't like losing, but I always say "good game" or something similar because I take being defeated as a learning experience. I frequently as my opponent that won if they have any tips or tricks. They are usually more than happy to share their knowledge.

I don't think all players are like the ones that Galleon is talking about. I come across a lot of kind people in PVP, but when you run across someone who is rude it can really make you frustrated because this is just a game. As you said there's not much to be done about this. Except be kind, even when it's difficult. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
You're completely right. There are so many people with issues on wiz, it's shocking. I get trolled all the time for absolutely no reason, by people who only know me as a cartoon on a game. There are a group of wizards I actually like to call the troll gang lol. The worst are the sad cases who come into the arena just to troll you in 'support' of their friend. PvP team chat only does not counter the menu chat 'lol' or 'no need for strategy here, these enemies are easy'. It also becomes exhausting having to ignore every single person who comes into the arena using menu chat to troll. I have contacted wiz with a number of suggestions to improve the general vibe of the pvp arena.

Iridian
Tavia
Vanessa

Survivor
Mar 10, 2015
I agree with PvP King. It is really hard when you are earnestly trying your hardest to win a match, have spent hundreds of dollars to become decent at this game, and for someone to say "good game" when they got a shadow pip first turn, crit every hit they've done, and still only won because of a lore mantle, I really do not feel okay with saying good game to that.

This post was comparing "now" to "then"

Back "then" we did not have shadow magic or jading or any of this garbage. This game was really quite engaging and took a lot of skill and was quite fun really! I would say GG in a heartbeat to any DS-cap - AV-cap match players. I really miss those days! Times are seriously grim in PvP. The PvP base has really died out. I really don't know if things will ever get better I'm sorry to tell you.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
I think part of the meta-pvp is being a good sport.

I occasionally get annoyed if someone uses what I consider to be a "griefer" strategy, but so what if I get annoyed?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Vic Ward on Oct 27, 2018 wrote:
I agree with PvP King. It is really hard when you are earnestly trying your hardest to win a match, have spent hundreds of dollars to become decent at this game, and for someone to say "good game" when they got a shadow pip first turn, crit every hit they've done, and still only won because of a lore mantle, I really do not feel okay with saying good game to that.

This post was comparing "now" to "then"

Back "then" we did not have shadow magic or jading or any of this garbage. This game was really quite engaging and took a lot of skill and was quite fun really! I would say GG in a heartbeat to any DS-cap - AV-cap match players. I really miss those days! Times are seriously grim in PvP. The PvP base has really died out. I really don't know if things will ever get better I'm sorry to tell you.
I believe I have a simple solution to this problem; simply have the option to remove Shadow Pips in PvP! How this would work is through on options NPC in the Arena. You could disable Shadow Pips, nullifying Shadow Spells and removing the luck-based factor. It would also only pair you with players who have disabled it, too, removing the advantage factor. I think this would make it much like it was five years ago, even with the new Tree spells.

Explorer
Oct 29, 2010
its nothing more then a joke and I hope they fix it or drop pvp rank all together no fare fights, they allow guardian to be reshuffled back into the deck along with jade gear , people don't have a fare fight no more since you messed the game up

Survivor
Nov 18, 2018
When the opponent is paired up against a brand new player yet has 25% dmg, 15% accuracy, and 50%+ resists... at level 11... no, it wasn't a good game.

You troll yourselves by bringing unfair sportsmanship to the game. If you don't feel like showing respect to your opponent then your opponent owes you none in return.

Till the devs decide to ban these gears from starter pvp expect to get a lot of grief, especially since everyone seems to exploit warlord with fresh characters that have no rank. It only makes life hell on real players who aren't having fun.

As usual, people expect respect without granting any to their opponent. You get what you give and you chose to give them unfair treatment. Sounds like you received what was due.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Yes, have the option to "Ban" gear deemed overpowered, remove Shadow Pips, and Critical Chance from PvP through an options manual in the Arena. It would remove over-abundant stats and luck-based factors, and only pair you with people who have enabled the same options. I think it would please everyone.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2013
Nowadays, people say "gg" not after the end of the match, but before it's over, usually on the last round. Basically, they're saying "It's over. I win." instead of "good game". It's kind of annoying, and I laugh when someone smugly says "gg" before they attack and it winds up being short, and the match goes on for several more rounds.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Happy Fun Ball on Nov 26, 2018 wrote:
Nowadays, people say "gg" not after the end of the match, but before it's over, usually on the last round. Basically, they're saying "It's over. I win." instead of "good game". It's kind of annoying, and I laugh when someone smugly says "gg" before they attack and it winds up being short, and the match goes on for several more rounds.
Thats not necessarily true, I now say gg on the kill round itself (for either myself or my opponent) because most people tend to port away before a word can be said otherwise.