Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 02, 2009
Many wizards including myself created their accounts when they were under the age of 13. As we have now aged and are above the age of 18 we should qualify for open chat. But due to COPPA law, kingsisle is not legally able to track our age if we are under 13 so our accounts will never ‘age’ with us. This is only going to grow into a bigger problem as time moves on.
Any suggestions on how we can fix this? Transferring is not an option as both accounts need yearly subscriptions-$120USD

Survivor
Jul 02, 2012
Would like to see a way for returning players who are now older and can actually afford the game, to have a way to gain access to the open chat. Or at least have the accounts age over time.

Defender
Jul 01, 2015
Yeah you're right I suggest complaining but I don't think there is something to do about it...

Survivor
Sep 26, 2015
This problem also really frustrates me, as I had created my account when I was 15, and I am currently 19. I have text chat, but it really is infuriating sometimes when you have such restricted speech. You can't say numbers, always have to put in precise punctuation, and if you are with a team that has open chat, all you see is dots and they all get upset with you when you do a move they "told you" not to do. Plus, it makes you feel left-out sometimes.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
I play at night so its usually adults and I can barely talk because every second word is ... or when i need to say two/2 I have to say too so I seem illiterate. I also feel left out and feel like I seem a child because I don't have open and struggle to converse.
There needs to be a way around this, we need support from all the older players to figure out a legal way that is not 'getting around the law' so that kingsisle approves.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
matveixx on Aug 5, 2018 wrote:
Yeah you're right I suggest complaining but I don't think there is something to do about it...
Complaining is the only way to change it...but not complaining to KI...you'd need to complain to Congress/through the Supreme Court.

KI's hands are tied; they have no choice but to comply with COPPA regulations.

COPPA regulations have been much debated as 'unconstitutional' because many sites have simply banned under 13's because as soon as their users state they're over 13 the site/company no longer has to comply with COPPA and can not face fines. The result is that under 13's are denied access to information/discussion, unable to contribute and exercise their freedom of expression/freedom of speech, and are being discriminated on the basis of age...all protected rights covered by the 1st Amendment.

Although the inability to access open chat would not be classed as discrimination because any form of chat in W101 is classed as 'chat privileges' and can be revoked at any time, if COPPA were repealed or changed it would enable KI to make decisions about chat privileges within their game. Currently they can not track ages of any account registered as having been made by someone under the age of 13. They can only allow text chat to COPPA protected accounts with parental permission. They have to provide additional protections to COPPA protected accounts, which rule out accessing open chat features even with parental permission.

The main issue with COPPA would actually be the arbitrary restriction of educational content and communication online based on age discrimination and in violation of the 1st Amendment.

PS. Age discrimination does not apply to accessing content specifically deemed illegal for minors, which is covered by other legislation.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
It would be nice if maybe they could create a new adult age account through the service department, with whatever required verification that needs, and then roll over the progress, items, badges, houses etc, from the original under 13 account. It would comply with the law, I think, because it is a new, founded-as-adult, account. I know 18 year olds that would like to have the unfiltered chat, but they really don't want to lose all their wizards' (and pirates') progress and possessions. It seems like there ought to be a way, especially with the parent managed family accounts. I agree, this is a problem that is going to grow as more wizards and pirates grow up, some of whom will stick with the games.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
KI would need to have our backs though because a few players of a game isn’t going to dent the issue here. Kingsisle doesn’t reply to these threads either to give their opinion. KI should be the ones taking this further because essentially this problem is going to hurt them the most with decreasing players

Survivor
May 02, 2009
It is more of an issue to higher level wizards because its completely unrealistic for them to start another wizard on an account that truely represents their age (18+).
I am level 125 (max) with all the bells and whistles - cabal gear.
Its also my only wizard and I made it when the account was made - 2009...... So there is many many many hours on this wizard.
Come on kingsisle try support this - everyone else get your friends to comment on this thread to make it popular because we need YOUR support too

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Victoria FireHeart on Aug 6, 2018 wrote:
Complaining is the only way to change it...but not complaining to KI...you'd need to complain to Congress/through the Supreme Court.

COPPA regulations have been much debated as 'unconstitutional' because many sites have simply banned under 13's because as soon as their users state they're over 13 the site/company no longer has to comply with COPPA and can not face fines. The result is that under 13's are denied access to information/discussion, unable to contribute and exercise their freedom of expression/freedom of speech, and are being discriminated on the basis of age...all protected rights covered by the 1st Amendment.

Although the inability to access open chat would not be classed as discrimination because any form of chat in W101 is classed as 'chat privileges' and can be revoked at any time, if COPPA were repealed or changed it would enable KI to make decisions about chat privileges within their game. Currently they can not track ages of any account registered as having been made by someone under the age of 13. They can only allow text chat to COPPA protected accounts with parental permission. They have to provide additional protections to COPPA protected accounts, which rule out accessing open chat features even with parental permission.

The main issue with COPPA would actually be the arbitrary restriction of educational content and communication online based on age discrimination and in violation of the 1st Amendment.

PS. Age discrimination does not apply to accessing content specifically deemed illegal for minors, which is covered by other legislation.
All I will say is, Wow! You really know your stuff and you hit it dead on. P.S. to bad there's not a thumbs up Emoji.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on Aug 6, 2018 wrote:

Thanks for this awesome reply!
Do you support this movement I am trying to create? You are e a very experienced wizard on these message boards and I would love to have your support. Could you personally pass this through to KI? Or perhaps find another way?
Thanks heaps :D