Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What School Should I Choose?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 22, 2017
Hi! I know that this question is frequently asked among the spiral and it is probably a quite annoying one too. I have however been searching board after board for a decision that satisfies me but no one seems to have all of the same problems as mine. Here are some below.

1. I have a bad temper: It's not around others it's mainly when I'm alone so fizzling is amazing (sarcasm).

2. No one I know would want to play this game with me: I can't blame them lol.

3. I want to pick a fast school: particularly one that will pull me through at least the first arc swiftly.

4. I don't do PVP: adding on pvp would mentally drain me.

5. I like high damage: I like to over-kill sometimes.

6. I'm a hitter: enough said.

Now I know you've already gotten some schools in mind but before you press send, I have some more preferences to address.

1. Don't recommend Death as a NEW school: I have a lvl 50 Grandmaster death and ever since I've started Wintertusk, I've been extremely discouraged. I feel under-leveled and the bosses are extremely hard. I know I could just start in Celestia instead but with all of the excessive dying, my urge and excitement to play this wizard has died out. If you seriously think I should continue questing on this wizard and have a good reason to why I should, I may consider it.

2. Don't recommend Storm as a NEW school: I have started a storm wizard that is now in the Krokosphinx. It's fun but the constant fizzling drives me insane. I am willing to continue on this wizard due to my decent pet and my extreme potential but I will not be creating a NEW storm wizard.

3. Don't recommend fire AT ALL: I've done fire twice. One up to lvl 32 and one up to lvl 10. Not again. No exceptions XD.

4. I'm a little bit reluctant to making a new balance wizard due to the fact that I made one 5 years ago up to lvl 24. I had no idea what I was doing but I do vaguely remember it being not that exciting. However, I'm willing to make another balance wizard but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I know that that was a lot but despite all of my preferences, I'm willing to listen to any advice or opinions from anyone!

Defender
Dec 20, 2012
iiCooxies on Jul 31, 2018 wrote:
Hi! I know that this question is frequently asked among the spiral and it is probably a quite annoying one too. I have however been searching board after board for a decision that satisfies me but no one seems to have all of the same problems as mine. Here are some below.

1. I have a bad temper: It's not around others it's mainly when I'm alone so fizzling is amazing (sarcasm).

2. No one I know would want to play this game with me: I can't blame them lol.

3. I want to pick a fast school: particularly one that will pull me through at least the first arc swiftly.

4. I don't do PVP: adding on pvp would mentally drain me.

5. I like high damage: I like to over-kill sometimes.

6. I'm a hitter: enough said.

Now I know you've already gotten some schools in mind but before you press send, I have some more preferences to address.

1. Don't recommend Death as a NEW school: I have a lvl 50 Grandmaster death and ever since I've started Wintertusk, I've been extremely discouraged. I feel under-leveled and the bosses are extremely hard. I know I could just start in Celestia instead but with all of the excessive dying, my urge and excitement to play this wizard has died out. If you seriously think I should continue questing on this wizard and have a good reason to why I should, I may consider it.

2. Don't recommend Storm as a NEW school: I have started a storm wizard that is now in the Krokosphinx. It's fun but the constant fizzling drives me insane. I am willing to continue on this wizard due to my decent pet and my extreme potential but I will not be creating a NEW storm wizard.

3. Don't recommend fire AT ALL: I've done fire twice. One up to lvl 32 and one up to lvl 10. Not again. No exceptions XD.

4. I'm a little bit reluctant to making a new balance wizard due to the fact that I made one 5 years ago up to lvl 24. I had no idea what I was doing but I do vaguely remember it being not that exciting. However, I'm willing to make another balance wizard but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I know that that was a lot but despite all of my preferences, I'm willing to listen to any advice or opinions from anyone!
So you say you like hitting, the top hitting schools are Storm and Fire, but you rule those out. I'm storm myself, so I think I can offer some advice there if you need any. Death is a bit difficult, I started it in Celestia as a level 50 as well. I had a Balance to help me out, but Death should be able to get ya through there. If you want something that might not hit as hard, but won't fizzle, I'd give Life a try. If you want something that'll hit a bit harder and might keep you going, maybe try Ice.

Cheyenne StormHunter
Level 114

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
It's kind of ironic you say you have a temper, want to do tons of damage, and hit plenty, but don't like Storm or Fire. Also that you want to solo, but Death is out. But no worries, preferences exist for a reason!

If Balance seemed too boring for you, I would recommend Myth. They do have the stereotype as soloists for minion manipulation, so if you're not going to have outside help and Team Up is being fickle, that would be a viable option. Your damage may not be ridiculous as per Fire and Storm, but you've already ruled those ones out so this may be your next best bet. As for speed, you do get a 4 pip AoE attack which will speed things up, as will not being hindered heavily by a Myth Shield due to Minotaur/Orthrus.

You ruled out Death, Fire, and Storm, with Balance being too boring, so that just leaves you Ice, Life, and Myth. Of those three, the most damage dealing is definitely Myth. Life and Ice have strong soloist appeal, but if you're looking for a backup Ice would be the better of the 4 pip AoE, tons of resist, and can solo for a long time. You just might be going super slow due to lack of damage, which was my biggest hindrance when playing Ice.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2018
Okay, I know you said don't recommend death school but I'm here to persuade you to try and continue with it. So you said you got completely discouraged by hitting Wintertusk with all the hard bosses. I completely feel you man. But here's the thing, I am also a death wizard currently level 48. I started Wintertusk at the bare minimum level, right at level 40, and I'm assuming you started it a little later than I did. And believe me, I know the bosses are literally so unfair for my/our level. So what I did was simply use team up to get me through the entire Wintertusk area (Currently I only have the last part of the world left). Now, I too am also impatient, but to my surprise, I was able to team up with much higher level players in only a few minutes for practically every single one of the dungeons, letting me to beat the world in only 2-3 days. (I'll finish the last part later today.) And let me tell you, it is so worth it to because now I get to have an advantage at Dragonspyre since I haven't even started that world yet. But this isn't about my story. The point I'm trying to get to is that Wintertusk is just the worst of it, but it's short. You just have that small hump to get over in your journey. Do what I did, it should work for you too. And just to add on, do you really want to go through the trouble by starting a new wizard? I know it may seem fun at first to start a new one, until you realize just how much work it will take to get back up to the higher levels. How long did it take you to get to Grandmaster? I also have friends that are max level Necromancers, and said basically the same thing I said about the annoyance of Wintertusk. But they also said that it gets so much easier and more fun after that.

Also, if you disregard my message, you already ruled out death, storm, fire and balance. Leaving you with just Ice, Myth and Life. Not a lot of choices my friend.

Hopefully I was able to persuade you to continue your Necromancer Adventures!

Survivor
Apr 22, 2017
DreamGalleon21154 on Jul 31, 2018 wrote:
So you say you like hitting, the top hitting schools are Storm and Fire, but you rule those out. I'm storm myself, so I think I can offer some advice there if you need any. Death is a bit difficult, I started it in Celestia as a level 50 as well. I had a Balance to help me out, but Death should be able to get ya through there. If you want something that might not hit as hard, but won't fizzle, I'd give Life a try. If you want something that'll hit a bit harder and might keep you going, maybe try Ice.

Cheyenne StormHunter
Level 114
I definitely think that a balance would be able to pull a death through. However, with my luck, I can never get anyone to join in with my battles or it takes ten minutes for one person to even join my team. I have considered trying life so I may go through with it. Thanks for your opinion!!

Survivor
Apr 22, 2017
Jack Something on Jul 31, 2018 wrote:
It's kind of ironic you say you have a temper, want to do tons of damage, and hit plenty, but don't like Storm or Fire. Also that you want to solo, but Death is out. But no worries, preferences exist for a reason!

If Balance seemed too boring for you, I would recommend Myth. They do have the stereotype as soloists for minion manipulation, so if you're not going to have outside help and Team Up is being fickle, that would be a viable option. Your damage may not be ridiculous as per Fire and Storm, but you've already ruled those ones out so this may be your next best bet. As for speed, you do get a 4 pip AoE attack which will speed things up, as will not being hindered heavily by a Myth Shield due to Minotaur/Orthrus.

You ruled out Death, Fire, and Storm, with Balance being too boring, so that just leaves you Ice, Life, and Myth. Of those three, the most damage dealing is definitely Myth. Life and Ice have strong soloist appeal, but if you're looking for a backup Ice would be the better of the 4 pip AoE, tons of resist, and can solo for a long time. You just might be going super slow due to lack of damage, which was my biggest hindrance when playing Ice.
Yeah, it is quite weird that I have a temper but I prefer all of these things. Though the reason why is because I really don't want to spend fifteen minutes in one battle in every world. I don't dislike Storm, I just don't want to start over due to the fact that I have already created one although I've had enough of fire xD.

I would actually really like to do Myth and I've always wondered why it is looked down upon. I would be okay leveling up my storm it's just that I don't really want to go crazy with the extremely low health and constant fizzling. I just want this to be a fun experience (Which has never been the case for any of my wizards XD)

Thanks for your opinion!! I'll definitely for creating a Myth wizard.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2017
Blaze Death on Jul 31, 2018 wrote:
Okay, I know you said don't recommend death school but I'm here to persuade you to try and continue with it. So you said you got completely discouraged by hitting Wintertusk with all the hard bosses. I completely feel you man. But here's the thing, I am also a death wizard currently level 48. I started Wintertusk at the bare minimum level, right at level 40, and I'm assuming you started it a little later than I did. And believe me, I know the bosses are literally so unfair for my/our level. So what I did was simply use team up to get me through the entire Wintertusk area (Currently I only have the last part of the world left). Now, I too am also impatient, but to my surprise, I was able to team up with much higher level players in only a few minutes for practically every single one of the dungeons, letting me to beat the world in only 2-3 days. (I'll finish the last part later today.) And let me tell you, it is so worth it to because now I get to have an advantage at Dragonspyre since I haven't even started that world yet. But this isn't about my story. The point I'm trying to get to is that Wintertusk is just the worst of it, but it's short. You just have that small hump to get over in your journey. Do what I did, it should work for you too. And just to add on, do you really want to go through the trouble by starting a new wizard? I know it may seem fun at first to start a new one, until you realize just how much work it will take to get back up to the higher levels. How long did it take you to get to Grandmaster? I also have friends that are max level Necromancers, and said basically the same thing I said about the annoyance of Wintertusk. But they also said that it gets so much easier and more fun after that.

Also, if you disregard my message, you already ruled out death, storm, fire and balance. Leaving you with just Ice, Myth and Life. Not a lot of choices my friend.

Hopefully I was able to persuade you to continue your Necromancer Adventures!
That's great for you! We are however in different situations. I finished Dragonspyre and I can surprisingly barely find any wizard at all to team up with. I'm also getting tired of the spells and I often find myself wishing to be that Storm a few battles away.

Also, the only school I completely ruled out was Fire, all of the other schools that I listed, I'd be willing to continue if you had a good argument.

In the end though, I really think my problem is that I need a break from my Death. Actually, I need a break from the whole game to be honest xD. Thanks for your opinion though!! I will definitely think about continuing on my Death.