Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PSA: Noob Magnet, Max Curse Rant

AuthorMessage
Historian
Jun 17, 2014
not sure where this goes.. even if i been posting here for a year or 2 now....

noob magnet, and max curse... is when somebody asks for help, and instead of asking people in the appropriate lvl, or at least a 20 lvl range example: you're in marleybone, and you ask for someone in dragonspyre.. that's all fine and dandy... but if you're in marleybone... and go to the common's asking lvl 100+ to help you...that's a max curse... and because my wizard shows a triple digit lvl (121 right now) i'm a noob magnet...

i'll say it now... if i'm not doing anything, and i'm in the mood to, i'll help you beat the entire game from lvl 1 to lvl 125, every single side, badge, etc. .............. but that's the key word... i'll HELP you...

that's my biggest thing... people expect me to do the entire thing for them, and when i dont... or because i decided to take my sweet old time, because i realized they arent doing anything... i get abused, assaulted, harassed, bullied, what ever the term is... because "you're a 121 ice, who took 20 rounds to kill this fire boss" "such a noob"

like yes? i was running with Epic ice serpents, doing criticalled 2000+, while you was sitting there, expecting me do it all...

i'll help anyone... i will not carry anyone...

main reason i refused to play as a storm wizard...

rant over

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Completely agreed.

I have ZERO problem helping anyone. In fact unless asked, I assume you want my wizard along to keep you alive. I have a real problem when a very low level expects to ride my coat tails through their quests.

I have found a wonderful questing companion who is a big help, but she doesn't "do it all" for me and expects that since it's my quest that I pull my share of the load. (hitting when I can and keeping us both alive)

Since she is Max and I'm still in Khrysalis there's not much I can do to help her on her quests, so I pay it forward and help at the Kiosk and some other wizards who are about 20 levels behind me.

So the moral of this story, if you ask for help, you'll get help. If you criticize the way I help, you get ignored.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Feb 28, 2013
camahawk on Jun 28, 2018 wrote:
not sure where this goes.. even if i been posting here for a year or 2 now....

noob magnet, and max curse... is when somebody asks for help, and instead of asking people in the appropriate lvl, or at least a 20 lvl range example: you're in marleybone, and you ask for someone in dragonspyre.. that's all fine and dandy... but if you're in marleybone... and go to the common's asking lvl 100+ to help you...that's a max curse... and because my wizard shows a triple digit lvl (121 right now) i'm a noob magnet...

i'll say it now... if i'm not doing anything, and i'm in the mood to, i'll help you beat the entire game from lvl 1 to lvl 125, every single side, badge, etc. .............. but that's the key word... i'll HELP you...

that's my biggest thing... people expect me to do the entire thing for them, and when i dont... or because i decided to take my sweet old time, because i realized they arent doing anything... i get abused, assaulted, harassed, bullied, what ever the term is... because "you're a 121 ice, who took 20 rounds to kill this fire boss" "such a noob"

like yes? i was running with Epic ice serpents, doing criticalled 2000+, while you was sitting there, expecting me do it all...

i'll help anyone... i will not carry anyone...

main reason i refused to play as a storm wizard...

rant over
I have to agree with you.

(rant begins)
I have a max level storm that I use to HELP people. HELP doesn't mean do everything for you,,, it doesn't mean do all the work while you stand outside the circle and complain.
What HELP means, is I'll blade you, put traps on the enemy, depending on how powerful the boss is, I might even kill him for you but you WILL be involved in the fight. Any complaints about why i'm taking so long,,, any comments like "You should use TEMP"etc. will result in my apologising to the rest of the team (if there is any) and I'll leave.
No it's not fair to any other players involved but since I'm being nice enough to HELP low level players (I hate the word noob) please be nice enough to appreciate the fact that i'm there and don't tell me how to play the game I've been playing for a long time.
(rant over)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I'm a noob magnet because I remember how much I appreciated help on my first wizard and like to give first wizards support. I had to delete someone just this week because yet again I made the mistake of being too kind, only to have him asking me (immediately on logging in) for help or TC. No "Hey how are you?", no chat at all other than asking for my time or resources.

3 times in a row and I deleted him from all except 1 of the characters I'd let him add. Then I was busy a few days and when I came back he did it again on the last wizard he had connected to me...so I deleted him completely.

I felt sickened that I had messed up by being too kind/generous too soon...but if that's how someone is, they're like it whether you know now or don't know until later, so he would probably never have been a friend anyway. Right or wrong, I still blame myself though.

It's with a little sadness that I've had to face it that not everyone will appreciate help and respect kindness; some will see you as a resource to be drained for all they can get.

I don't feel used or cheated because I know if he had just chatted a bit without asking I'd have given a lot more than I gave. People like this guy are easier in some ways because they make their view of you known very quickly and there is no investment into them or question in your mind as to why they want to 'be friends'.

Fortunately there are still a lot of other noobs out there similar to how I was as a noob...appreciative, lapping up the advice and loving that my 'high level' friends would offer help when they saw me attempting something tricky.

I want to help people like that so I guess I'll just have to keep taking the risk...wow, I have learned nothing Maybe my 'lesson' should be not to give soooo many chances and not to feel bad if deleting someone is appropriate? Phew, I knew I should have learned something from this lol

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
I mean I enjoy being helpful, heck I used my own money to go buy Spiral, Pagoda, Babe, Tourney, Clocktower, and the Big Tree, Crystal Mine, Fishbowl, Monsterdome, Shinobi dojo. (Am planning on Voyage, and Accursed play too) just so I could be a one stop shop to help everyone, I done everything single quest in the game, besides dragonspyer+ fishing, and empyrea's quests... Just so I don't have to be the "I don't have that dungeon, need to port in" I've made gear with 77% ice critical... 99% universal resist, and 140% outgoing, With Pizzas, and the Rebirth May cast wand from Krysalis... (Not all the same gear) so I am highly capable in helping anyone.. but I do not carry... I've soloed the entire game, ive been in mooshu helping a old friend fight in Aztecs, and surviving longer than she has.

So that's my input on Noob Magnet/Max Curse... No Noob does not refer to low levels... if you're in Khrysalis, going ask a lvl 150.... That's as bad as a lvl 1 asking a lvl 50....

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I don't even mind doing all the work if it's a level way below my wiz and they don't expect me to continue for very long (think 1-3 battles or one boss.)

But a gauntlet or a dungeon or something and they just say "you got this, right?" That's a little bit lazy. At least ask if there's anything you can do.

At the very least, keep a good attitude and be nice. NO one wants to give up time out of their day to help a stranger with something like a game, only to hear that same person who wanted help, insult your gear, your game, your style, your battle decisions, your cards, your deck...you get the picture.

We didn't agree to help just for that person to stand there and heckle us. If you just want to do that, fight your own battles, literally.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Jun 28, 2018 wrote:
I'm a noob magnet because I remember how much I appreciated help on my first wizard and like to give first wizards support. I had to delete someone just this week because yet again I made the mistake of being too kind, only to have him asking me (immediately on logging in) for help or TC. No "Hey how are you?", no chat at all other than asking for my time or resources.

3 times in a row and I deleted him from all except 1 of the characters I'd let him add. Then I was busy a few days and when I came back he did it again on the last wizard he had connected to me...so I deleted him completely.

I felt sickened that I had messed up by being too kind/generous too soon...but if that's how someone is, they're like it whether you know now or don't know until later, so he would probably never have been a friend anyway. Right or wrong, I still blame myself though.

It's with a little sadness that I've had to face it that not everyone will appreciate help and respect kindness; some will see you as a resource to be drained for all they can get.

I don't feel used or cheated because I know if he had just chatted a bit without asking I'd have given a lot more than I gave. People like this guy are easier in some ways because they make their view of you known very quickly and there is no investment into them or question in your mind as to why they want to 'be friends'.

Fortunately there are still a lot of other noobs out there similar to how I was as a noob...appreciative, lapping up the advice and loving that my 'high level' friends would offer help when they saw me attempting something tricky.

I want to help people like that so I guess I'll just have to keep taking the risk...wow, I have learned nothing Maybe my 'lesson' should be not to give soooo many chances and not to feel bad if deleting someone is appropriate? Phew, I knew I should have learned something from this lol
" I made the mistake of being too kind, only to have him asking me (immediately on logging in) for help or TC. No "Hey how are you?", no chat at all other than asking for my time or resources."

Yes why do people do that? Do they do that in real life?

*Gets up and cracks open the shutters, letting in the morning sun.*

(Doorbell incessantly buzzes)

*Thinks, what on earth, who is that??* (still half asleep)

(Pounding on door commences)

"Hey Hey I saw your shutter open I know you are there! Let me in I need a coffee quick it's an emergency!"

*Closes shutters, turns off lights, pretends not to be home*

I mean I've had someone start messaging me so fast when I logged in to this game that only the last half of their sentence appeared. It was a huge huge emergency...and when I said "I just logged in..." they'd interrupt with "nevermind I just beat the boss." Some emergency!

Defender
Mar 18, 2012
This only happens to me when I'm in the commons, so I try to stray from it, or at least stay out of a crowded realm.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SparkleTude on Jul 1, 2018 wrote:
" I made the mistake of being too kind, only to have him asking me (immediately on logging in) for help or TC. No "Hey how are you?", no chat at all other than asking for my time or resources."

Yes why do people do that? Do they do that in real life?

*Gets up and cracks open the shutters, letting in the morning sun.*

(Doorbell incessantly buzzes)

*Thinks, what on earth, who is that??* (still half asleep)

(Pounding on door commences)

"Hey Hey I saw your shutter open I know you are there! Let me in I need a coffee quick it's an emergency!"

*Closes shutters, turns off lights, pretends not to be home*

I mean I've had someone start messaging me so fast when I logged in to this game that only the last half of their sentence appeared. It was a huge huge emergency...and when I said "I just logged in..." they'd interrupt with "nevermind I just beat the boss." Some emergency!
HELP HELP HELP!!! Then you port and they're standing at a sigil for a boss they haven't even attempted yet and there is no emergency at all!

I've even had someone wanting to farm Mount Olympus who wanted me to let them know when I was at Zeus so they could hit dungeon recall for drops lol.

I'm definitely a mug at times but most new or lower level players I meet don't do that so I guess I am best to keep helping but just not feel so unsure or mean if it's in my best interests to delete someone who is using me. Thankfully most people respect that we're there to play the game too and not just there to be summoned the moment we log in

I don't mind when I've offered to hatch or help to someone and they see me log in and ask if we could do whatever it is that day...it's not expecting me to jump to it immediately and it's something I've offered to do

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
SparkleTude on Jul 1, 2018 wrote:
I don't even mind doing all the work if it's a level way below my wiz and they don't expect me to continue for very long (think 1-3 battles or one boss.)

But a gauntlet or a dungeon or something and they just say "you got this, right?" That's a little bit lazy. At least ask if there's anything you can do.

At the very least, keep a good attitude and be nice. NO one wants to give up time out of their day to help a stranger with something like a game, only to hear that same person who wanted help, insult your gear, your game, your style, your battle decisions, your cards, your deck...you get the picture.

We didn't agree to help just for that person to stand there and heckle us. If you just want to do that, fight your own battles, literally.
BTW this "you" was to the hypothetical people we are all referring to. I just reread this and it sounds a bit like I was saying "you" to someone in the thread. I wasn't.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
I mean what sparked me making this post

Just logged on wiz after not being on for months

Somebody called my name, I asked what, they asked me to help with Azteca, I said sure.... As long as it wasn't the final dungeon...

Ported to Twin Giants, with those ice turtle/dinosaur.. Was her (myth) and some balance guy.... Both lvl 90ish...
Started a battle and killed with frosty in a few rounds
she needed one more quest drop item, and I decided to swap to my fun deck... Epic enchanted ice serpents that do 2000 if I crit (77%) ..... 10 rounds later, after having to use both reshuffles, cast my freddo 2x and use 6 Radical Sprites... I told them I was done after this, used my Climaclysm tc and Ported away.....

Got called a noob for taking forever

I asked then why on earth did you ask me to help? Seems counter intuitive

According to her, she has 10 max wizards, and I'm still a noob...

I told her to grow up, and come up with a better insult than noob, and its just sad...

Then posted this on here

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Camahawk: That's terrible! I can't figure out what people who do those things are thinking. "Yeah! Let's insult them a lot! That'll help!"

Gratefulness seems like an antiquated concept to some.

Victoria: "HELP HELP HELP!!! Then you port and they're standing at a sigil for a boss they haven't even attempted yet and there is no emergency at all!"

YES! That is it exactly. I don't know how many times that has happened, too. More than once with some, who got a "please don't do that again" soft speech, only to...do that again.

I can't figure out their thoughts either. "No one exists but me" is all I can think of that would make any sense. Why else would they have no thought for anyone else's time?

Yes, there are nice players too, but the selfish ones don't seem to wear signs. Meh. It makes me not add anyone for a long time, when I have to delete one.