Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Revitalization

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
So it's almost been a decade since I first made an account on this game. Not once in that span of 9+ years have I even thought about making a forum/message board account on here, or any game for that matter. Well that was until I randomly decided to get on the other day and realized there's no real spark left in the game, it just feels dull and out-dated, and I've noticed this with a lot of older games. Now I know this is just my opinion, but it feels like the only reason left to even get on this game is for that feeling of nostalgia and even that wears thin after awhile. It also feels like there's a lack of new players to the game, which is to be expected with the stop of advertising combined with how long it's been around. Add the lack of new players with the older players leaving and "moving on to other things" and it's like then game is on a gradual decline to it's eventual death and I know it seems like a negative way to phrase it , but I think it's a realistic view. Now while I don't have any specific suggestions aside from completely redoing the ridiculous chat system (even open chat) and somehow promoting PvP more, I'm sure others have some on their mind, and have already shared them. I know this game probably isn't the "cash cow" it once was especially with the allure of mobile games huge popularity spike and advances in the past 3-5 years, but maybe if you found a way to revamp and give new life to this game it might rise back to where is once was, even soar to new heights. I also understand that the staff is even smaller than it used to be, and there's more focus on the aforementioned mobile game, but I'm positive you could get it done with the current staff you have now if you take gradual strides. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad game, it just feels....stale even with all the updates. I mean even the homepage could use some updating after all these years, not to mention the graphics (although I do feel like it's a part of the games charm). Maybe even advertise Wizard101 on your mobile. Now with all that said I do want to commend this game on it's ability to have been around for nearly 10 years and it's originality. I hope that this game still has a long run left in it and will continue to make more childhood memories, even though I've all but uninstalled it. If anyone has any ideas that they haven't already shared or things that I might have over looked, feel free to reply back I'd love to hear them. That's bout it.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Eternal Strife on Jun 4, 2018 wrote:
So it's almost been a decade since I first made an account on this game. Not once in that span of 9+ years have I even thought about making a forum/message board account on here, or any game for that matter. Well that was until I randomly decided to get on the other day and realized there's no real spark left in the game, it just feels dull and out-dated, and I've noticed this with a lot of older games. Now I know this is just my opinion, but it feels like the only reason left to even get on this game is for that feeling of nostalgia and even that wears thin after awhile. It also feels like there's a lack of new players to the game, which is to be expected with the stop of advertising combined with how long it's been around. Add the lack of new players with the older players leaving and "moving on to other things" and it's like then game is on a gradual decline to it's eventual death and I know it seems like a negative way to phrase it , but I think it's a realistic view. Now while I don't have any specific suggestions aside from completely redoing the ridiculous chat system (even open chat) and somehow promoting PvP more, I'm sure others have some on their mind, and have already shared them. I know this game probably isn't the "cash cow" it once was especially with the allure of mobile games huge popularity spike and advances in the past 3-5 years, but maybe if you found a way to revamp and give new life to this game it might rise back to where is once was, even soar to new heights. I also understand that the staff is even smaller than it used to be, and there's more focus on the aforementioned mobile game, but I'm positive you could get it done with the current staff you have now if you take gradual strides. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad game, it just feels....stale even with all the updates. I mean even the homepage could use some updating after all these years, not to mention the graphics (although I do feel like it's a part of the games charm). Maybe even advertise Wizard101 on your mobile. Now with all that said I do want to commend this game on it's ability to have been around for nearly 10 years and it's originality. I hope that this game still has a long run left in it and will continue to make more childhood memories, even though I've all but uninstalled it. If anyone has any ideas that they haven't already shared or things that I might have over looked, feel free to reply back I'd love to hear them. That's bout it.
I'm a little unsure of the purpose of your post and over the years I've seen similar ones pop up from time to time so I'm going to throw in my perspective on it.

Many people started playing this game when they were young, they've played for many years and thoroughly enjoyed it, but as they get older they don't enjoy it the same as they once did. I don't think this is a reflection of the game going stale though. I see it as people changing and what they personally enjoy changing. What else were you doing 10 years ago that you still do now? What books and films you enjoyed 10 years ago are you still reading/watching over and over with the same enthusiasm now? There are plenty of things I enjoyed 10 years ago that I don't want to repeat now but would still recommend to someone who hasn't experienced them. I say that as an adult who was an adult 10 years ago too; it is much more so in younger people who are growing and changing at a much faster rate.

I recently started another wizard account and still meet new players regularly. People playing W101 are enjoying it, working things out and discovering things for their first time. It's not stale or nostalgic to them, it is new and exciting.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
My family and I did start playing back in 2009. One account for five family members we each had one wizard and a group wizard that whoever was only could play. We enjoyed the heck out of the game in '09

May of 2010, my wife passed away and took the master password with her. Because of the memories and inability to pay for things with the debit card, I stopped playing. My youngest and oldest son kept playing as the youngest took over the family account and bought crowns at Wal-Mart. My oldest created his own account. My daughter (now married) started playing again on her own account to be able to spend time with family separated by miles.

I created a new account to have something to do with my children that we can do together (we never could team up when we had just the one account)

Do I see less full realms than before? Yes. Do I play for "nostalgia"? No. Is Wizard101 in its death knell? No.

KI would not be revamping the game for the 10th anniversary if the subscriber base did not support it. How many other MMORPGs have lasted a decade? How many more gaming options do people have? Mobile, multiplay through their consoles, given the explosion of gaming opportunities, I think W101 is doing fine.

Should KI rest on their laurels? no.

Just my two cents
Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
Victoria FireHeart on Jun 5, 2018 wrote:
I'm a little unsure of the purpose of your post and over the years I've seen similar ones pop up from time to time so I'm going to throw in my perspective on it.

Many people started playing this game when they were young, they've played for many years and thoroughly enjoyed it, but as they get older they don't enjoy it the same as they once did. I don't think this is a reflection of the game going stale though. I see it as people changing and what they personally enjoy changing. What else were you doing 10 years ago that you still do now? What books and films you enjoyed 10 years ago are you still reading/watching over and over with the same enthusiasm now? There are plenty of things I enjoyed 10 years ago that I don't want to repeat now but would still recommend to someone who hasn't experienced them. I say that as an adult who was an adult 10 years ago too; it is much more so in younger people who are growing and changing at a much faster rate.

I recently started another wizard account and still meet new players regularly. People playing W101 are enjoying it, working things out and discovering things for their first time. It's not stale or nostalgic to them, it is new and exciting.
It was just to voice my opinion about the game and the direction I feel it's headed. While I completely understand and agree with your sentiment of growing out of things, there are definitely things that I did 10 years ago that I still enjoy to this day. I also was hoping maybe this would encourage KingsIsle to try and focus on trying to rebuild the games player base. (Not that I know anything about the exact statistics of their player base.) I do agree with your last statement, it is fun and exciting to new players, and not everyone is gonna share my same view on this subject. I realize most of my post was subjective aside from the decline in players and pvp, but I still thought I'd express it anyway. I appreciate you taking some time to respond to it though, I like getting others takes/opinions on this matter.
On a side note I'd also like to hear any suggestions to improve the game if you have any.

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
Victoria FireHeart on Jun 5, 2018 wrote:

I have to agree with you on some of this. I started playing this game almost 6 years ago, and there are certain things that I'm not so obsessed over anymore along with things I find more enjoyable about the game. People my age change real fast, one year they look like this and the next they ain't even in the same friend group anymore. So yes, I have to agree with people changing and not liking specific things anymore.

Moving on, I don't actually really meet new players recently. I much more often meet players from 5, 6, 7 years ago.

Explorer
Nov 18, 2010
It's funny that this thread has come up. I made my account in 2010 and I completed Wizard City but then I lost interest in the game and stopped playing. However, luckily for some reason I remembered my username and password all these years later and I started playing on the same wiz back in January. I'm now level 80 in Azteca and I craft / PVP / level up pets. I even stated that once I had maxed my main wizard that I would leave the game because there would be nothing to do, however yet I find myself leveling up a balance wizard for low-level PvP. And playing through Wizard City again brought back some nostalgia, of course it feels quite old (maybe not for much longer) but I still got enjoyment out of it. You could say I am the opposite and have found more fun in the game 8 years after I first discovered it (I don't think my bank account is enjoying it though). I have looked at every other MMO online, but this is the only one that I enjoy but also get extremely frustrated at all at the same time.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Eternal Strife on Jun 5, 2018 wrote:
It was just to voice my opinion about the game and the direction I feel it's headed. While I completely understand and agree with your sentiment of growing out of things, there are definitely things that I did 10 years ago that I still enjoy to this day. I also was hoping maybe this would encourage KingsIsle to try and focus on trying to rebuild the games player base. (Not that I know anything about the exact statistics of their player base.) I do agree with your last statement, it is fun and exciting to new players, and not everyone is gonna share my same view on this subject. I realize most of my post was subjective aside from the decline in players and pvp, but I still thought I'd express it anyway. I appreciate you taking some time to respond to it though, I like getting others takes/opinions on this matter.
On a side note I'd also like to hear any suggestions to improve the game if you have any.
Thanks for your reply

Yeah we all have opinions and without having statistical facts (which KI will never give us) none of us can know if our own view is accurate. It's nice to share ideas and opinions and our personal experiences. It's the best way we have of seeing more of the bigger picture

I'm not sure if the game's player base needs rebuilding. Without knowing a lot of actual data from KI it's impossible for us to really know how the game is doing compared to how it was doing previously. Even if we don't see as many new players there are factors that could be influencing that and warping the impression we have. There was a lot less content and places for a new player to be spending their game time.

From what I gather in early days it was predominantly questing and PvP. Now we have gardening, fishing, monstrology, castle tours, house dungeons, house games, monstrodomes, pet training and hatching, side dungeons and key bosses, PvP in houses, loads more crafting....plus there are far more worlds, the opportunity to skip the early worlds to start after Dragonspyre on any 2nd+ wizards, and there are likely more realms/areas than it initially started out with. With every new world there has been new housing items added, making house decorating more appealing and castle magic can have us busy in our house for hours at a time making cool things.

There are so many different places new players could be exploring it's impossible for us to know if there are less new players arriving or way more!