Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What???

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Under what circumstances would it show that my pet has not improved? That's never happened before. I was getting high scores and feeding him good stuff. I don't understand.

Sydney Skyblood lvl 83 Fire

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
Each pet has a maximum for each of its five attributes, strength, intellect, agility, will, power. These can be up to 255 250 260 260 250 respectively. These determine how good the pet can be. e.g. Suppose your pet has spell proof. When you first get it on a teen it will only be ~1%. As you improve your attributes it can be up to 10%.

So when you first get a pet, strength etc are 1 each. and training it will always cause it to improve. Once the pet is maxed (255 250 260 260 250 or whatever the max attributes are for your pet) it will tell you the pet didn't improve. However, you still need to train it to level it up to mega and ultra to get new talents and unlock space for ultra jewels.

If you add up the talents, it only takes 255+250+260+260+250 = 1275 to max the stats on your pet. But to get it to ultra takes 125+250+500+1000+2000+2000 = 5875. Obviously a lot of training is needed to max the pet above was is needed for the actual attributes. Hence a lot of training won't actually improve the pet - you aren't doing anything wrong.

This is why it is important to get max stat pets. If the max attributes for your pet aren't 255 250 260 260 250 then you might only get 8-9% Spell Proof instead of 10%. And ultra jewels are good because if you place a mighty jewel (+65 strength) in a max stat pet (i.e. 320 250 260 260 250 max) you can then get 11% spell proof, 6% spell defy, 11% school dealer, 7% pain giver, and 7% school giver (total 17% global resist and 25% stronger attack).

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
It sounds like maybe your pet had reached a maximum level in something (or every stat), so when it trained, it could not go up.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
colocrys on May 3, 2018 wrote:
Under what circumstances would it show that my pet has not improved? That's never happened before. I was getting high scores and feeding him good stuff. I don't understand.

Sydney Skyblood lvl 83 Fire
The stat bars you are filling are full so it 'has not improved', but the xp HAS been added to take it to manifesting the next talent.

Eg. If my strength bar is full and I do a mini game that adds XP to strength it will tell me my pet has not improved. The XP earned through training and feeding snacks is still added to the main bar that takes the pet through the stages of teen, adult, ancient, epic, mega and ultra.

The only time this warning may be of value is if you haven't noticed that you have filled a bar and want to move to a different snack type to fill a different bar/s instead.

I hope that helps

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks you guys (or girls) but I'm still confused. His talents are maxed out but I still have to train him so he will age? Is that right? This is also the first pet I've ever fed anything from my backpack. Maybe...I don't know. I just re-read Victoria's entry and now it's starting to gel. What snack type should I be looking for?

Sydney Skyblood lvl 84 Fire

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
colocrys on May 4, 2018 wrote:
Thanks you guys (or girls) but I'm still confused. His talents are maxed out but I still have to train him so he will age? Is that right? This is also the first pet I've ever fed anything from my backpack. Maybe...I don't know. I just re-read Victoria's entry and now it's starting to gel. What snack type should I be looking for?

It might help if I clarify some of the pet terms first

Lots of people who are fairly new to pets get the terms mixed up and accidentally say the wrong the thing which can make it a bit confusing eg people often talk about stats when they mean talents.

If you click on your backpack, then click on the pig (right hand side, 3rd icon down). Now under Power there are 5 icons. Click on the left hand one of them, it has two thick horizontal lines and will open 'Full Talent View'. Now you're seeing the page fully and the same as I am referencing

The POOL is the full list of talents on the left just under the picture of your pet.

A 'CLEAN POOL' is when all the talents in the pool are useful/good for a wizard who might want the pet because of the manifested talents.

TALENTS are the specific pet skills/boosts eg Fire-Dealer, Fairy etc

MANIFESTED TALENTS are the named talents your pet has learned; unmanifested are the ones that say the rank of the talent eg epic, common etc.

STATS are the numbers next to the bars on the right hand side. The 5 stat bars are for Strength, Intellect, Agility, Will, Power. The number above them shows the amount you have trained on that bar followed by the maximum the bar can hold. When the bar is filled it will change to 'MAX' and have the full number in brackets.

eg The maximum possible for strength is 255. Before we train the pet the stat bar will show 0/255, while filling it the 0 will continue to increase until it reaches 255/255 and it will change to show MAX (255).

Stats affect talents that work on percentages eg damages and resists etc. Hover over them to see what bars affect the type of talents your pet has.

MAX STAT refers to pets with the maximum possible number above their stat bars without including any boosts from jewels or talents. This is about the second number above a stat bar or the number in brackets after the bar is filled.

CONT...

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014

MAX STAT CONT...

Currently the highest possible is 255 250 260 260 250. Filling the bars is not relevant to whether a pet is 'max stat'. A pet with max stats is still max stat when it hasn't been trained yet; a non-max stat pet can be fully trained with all bars filled but is still non-max stat.

PEDIGREE is the number shown to the left just below the picture of your pet (by the dna symbol that you also see just above your pet when you're not in your book). This is the sum total of the talents your pet has in its pools. Each rank of talent counts towards the pedigree. Common talents are worth 1 point, through to epic talents that are worth 5. The main talents plus the derby talents are added together to produce the number for pedigree. The number in brackets is the sum of the talents you have manifested.

High pedigree does not mean a pet is 'better', it just means they have more epic talents in pool. The talent is what matters, not its score for pedigree.

Above the box with the list of stat bars on the right hand side of the page you will see 4 things (from the top down to where the stats start):

The name of your pet
The school of your pet + the body type
The bar showing the 'age' of your pet
The bar showing the experience to the next 'age'

The age of your pet has 7 sections.
1. egg to baby
2. baby to teen
3. teen to adult
4. adult to ancient
5. ancient to epic
6. epic to mega
7. mega to ultra

You will manifest a new talent at each step when you train 2-6 (5 manifested talents max). When you train 7 (mega to ultra) you will not manifest another talent, you will get a (usually rubbish) jewel. The only reason to train mega-ultra is if you already have a jewel that you want to use and it can only be affixed to an ultra pet.

The bar showing experience until your pet levels up an age will have two numbers. The first shows the xp you have trained, the second is the total needed to level. 125, 250 500, 1000, 2000, 2000.

I hope this helps and isn't information overload!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014

"What snack type should I be looking for?"

As a general rule just use your biggest snacks. Fill each of the stat bars using the snacks that give you the most XP each time. If you only want to fill bars that affect the talents you have/want then hover over the stat bars to see which ones are important and focus on them.

The symbols at the beginning of each stat bar can also be found on your pet snacks so you know how much of their total XP will be applied to each stat bar.

I hope this helps and I haven't done your head in with too many responses!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
I think this post should probably be archived.

The information here is excellent for new coming trainers!

Victoria and Michael; well said!

I just wanted to note something about Pet Snacks however.

Sydney:

Bear in mind:
  • The type of snack you feed your pet does not affect the talent it will learn. - That is already decided from the moment the pet hatches.
  • It's is always advisable you save your larger rank pet snacks for a high potential pet of Ancient or higher. - The common snacks you may harvest from plants or get as drops are what you should use to train your pet to teen/adult/ancient. This way, you don't waste your Megas (you'll need them for later).
  • If a pet likes a snack, it increases the overall experience the snack will give by 1.
  • If a pet loves it, the overall experience increases by 2.
  • Whenever a pet likes/loves a snack, that extra experience is added to the Power STAT.
  • Clicking on the Pet Tome and selecting the pet you're raising will also provide an idea of what type of snacks your pet enjoys.
  • Generally, the pet will always like a snack matching it's own school. Fire pets like fire snacks.
  • Pets will love a snack if it's both the school and the type of snack they like.

There is currently no mechanic within the game that will make a pet dislike a snack.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Also, be sure to garden to ensure a streamline of Gold and Snacks.

It really does help!

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
Victoria FireHeart on May 5, 2018 wrote:
"What snack type should I be looking for?"

As a general rule just use your biggest snacks. Fill each of the stat bars using the snacks that give you the most XP each time. If you only want to fill bars that affect the talents you have/want then hover over the stat bars to see which ones are important and focus on them.

The symbols at the beginning of each stat bar can also be found on your pet snacks so you know how much of their total XP will be applied to each stat bar.

I hope this helps and I haven't done your head in with too many responses!
My personal preference is to sell pretty much all snacks rank 6 or below. With a steady income from couch potatoes I use killer tomatoes (worth 8 - or 12 with game) and shanta puddings (worth 10 - or 14 with game) to get to adult. More if your pets like or love them. But note that a snack worth 6 that your pet loves is still only worth 8 - less than a shanta pudding your pet doesn't like.

If you wait for double XP, and always get 4 from games, then in only takes 4 killer tomatoes and 10 shanta puddings to get to adult (4 * (2 * 12) + 10 * (2 * 14) = 376). And that's only 5*2 + 9*4 = 46 energy. Once again, benefits if your pet likes or loves the snacks.

You can then get to ancient, epic, mega and ultra using the mega snacks from couch potatoes (worth 88, 98, or 108 during double xp even if your pets don't like them). e.g. epic to mega takes about 20 games at ~100 each, which is 200 energy and 20 mega snacks during double XP. Adult to ancient is only 5 games at ~100 each, 5 mega snacks and 30 energy.

Also note that some people use dancing game and just fail quickly and rely solely on pets snacks to level up. This will use more snacks and energy but save time.There are trade-offs between time, gold, energy, snacks, etc so up to you which option is best given your resources and commitment. Some people also use mega snacks from baby, but I have over 600 mega snacks and I still prefer to save them for the ancient to ultra slogs.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
grub guardian is another way to level your pets. The way I play it, I am on the grub's team, except my pet gets a snack afterwards. It's very fast if you set the game on double-time.