Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A couple questions!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Hey fellow Wizards!

I thought I'd make a post, since so many of you have been so helpful lately and I truly appreciate it.

When it comes to Pets, I guess you could say I'm not that experienced on them. I really don't know how to get a "good" pet or how to know which ones to level, if they will have good stats, etc..

I've leveled a few up, but it sure seems like a slow agonizing climb. And that was just to get to adult! I know these "mega" snacks can help with the process with you can mainly get from gardening, right? Though does it really take these hours upon hours to level up your pets to get the better stats on them?

I'm currently a level 84 Wizard and I feel like I've been missing out on a lot due to my pet. Right now I have an Adult Enchanted Armanent. It has a Sharpened Blade spell (Which I do really like) and a may cast sword and shield.

I was hoping someone could guide me to the right path on what I should be doing, since I clearly really don't know

Thanks a million!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
There's far too much to tell you in 2000 characters, so I'm going to direct you to some of the better pet hatching introductions out there.

First, start here:

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-1/

There are four parts to that guide, the next part will be linked at the bottom of each post.

This next one is older, but gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?193525-The-beginners%92-guide-to-the-pursuit-of-perfect-pet

And here is a guide to all the current "may cast" talents, to give you an idea of what talents are out there.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/guide-may-cast-pet-talents-wizard101/

____

Now.

In terms of picking a great pet to hatch with, you are in luck! The brand new pet hatcher just went live and from there, you might be able to find a "perfect pet" to hatch with, one that will immediately improve what you have right now. Take a look at the "Ice pets" and also check out some of the hybrid pets.

As the guides say, you will need to hatch and train several pets in order to get a stronger pet but having direct access to incredible pets will speed this process up for you.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
To add, use your current adult pet and hatch with a pet in the newly introduced Hatchmaker Kiosk.

Look for an Pet with talents such as:

Ice Critical
Damage
Resistance

As an , you don't need an healing pet, you can already tank hits, so you want to build on your defenses and capitalize on your offenses. Your pet should provide this solution.

Once you've hatched a pet, raise it to adult.

Stop,

Head back to the kiosk and hatch with the same pet again.

Repeat the process, then you can take it a step further to ancient.

If it fails, use your backup adult pet and hatch again.

You'll need a streamline of income to actually afford to be constantly hatching and raising pets though; bare in mind that the process is both expensive in time and gold!

Survivor
Aug 26, 2013
Hi! I garden for mega pet snacks a lot and, when KI offers double rewards for pet training, that's when I train most of my pets. It takes only a few training games (a 50 point snack becomes 100 points during double pet training rewards) to get it to adult! It obviously takes more to bring it beyond adult, but it is much less time when the double rewards are going on. Good luck!

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
Try the links mentioned above!

Very good info regarding pets awaits you!

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Star Edward on Apr 12, 2018 wrote:
To add, use your current adult pet and hatch with a pet in the newly introduced Hatchmaker Kiosk.

Look for an Pet with talents such as:

Ice Critical
Damage
Resistance

As an , you don't need an healing pet, you can already tank hits, so you want to build on your defenses and capitalize on your offenses. Your pet should provide this solution.

Once you've hatched a pet, raise it to adult.

Stop,

Head back to the kiosk and hatch with the same pet again.

Repeat the process, then you can take it a step further to ancient.

If it fails, use your backup adult pet and hatch again.

You'll need a streamline of income to actually afford to be constantly hatching and raising pets though; bare in mind that the process is both expensive in time and gold!

Thanks Edward!

I wanted to clarify something a little bit more, since I wasn't understanding completely.

So I take my current Adult pet and find a decent looking pet. I have done this and received a pet. I raised it to Adult, and it gave me a small health boost along with it.

So I take this same pet, find the exact same pet I just hatched with and hatch it with the adult I just got (What if that same pet isn't in the hatchery anymore?), correct?

Repeat this process one more time and THEN focus on raising it to ancient?

I just wanted to make sure I got this correct! Thanks again!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Just a quick note to add when using the kiosk...

You've said you like the Armament because of the sharpened blade cards so don't just check the ice pet section. The Armament is a BALANCE pet and loads of people have made them into excellent pets for all different combos for all schools because of those precious sharpen cards!

You already have one so you will not be charged crowns for it.

Look for it under Balance pets then look for one with ice talents.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I am still a novice with pet training as I found, like you said OP, it to be a tedious slow climb. To me that's not fun and I'm only in the game for fun. Without fun there is no point in it.

I can put up with battles because it gets me to the next, fun part.

Never seemed to be any payoff with pet training. After possibly weeks or months you might get one good trait or you might get a stinky trait you don't even want. There's no Pet X ray as someone suggested the game might make some day, to 'see' what the traits in a pet will be. (That would be very handy, bad trait pets will be freed to roam the gardens of our wizardly homes.)

But I just wanted to mention that, so you don't fret overly about what traits a pet has - they are locked in from when the pet is 'born' and there is no way to know what those are. It's random chance. But it's also nothing you can 'train well' to achieve. Training just reveals it.

Also you only have to train your pet to Teen to get a usable trait. So try that maybe.

Even training to Teen I found training to be -- ugh! Maybe the new hatch kiosk, IF the hatches are cheaper than before, will encourage me to train more pets.

40,000 in game gold to every stranger who wants a pet from my pet is not feasible for me. Hatching should be more like 500 gold per try, in my opinion.